Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 438 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #751
starbright55

Re: California Dive Boats -- the legend of Radon (pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiff View Post
Starbright- Your burn is pretty much exactly what I burn, total, with my two Yamaha 60's at about 20 knots. If I stay down around 14-16 knots or so, I can burn a little less, but 3-6gph total is my usual range. I'm more than happy with that.............it's like each motor burns only 2-3 gph at 20 knots? These modern, light boats get super good mileage, more than livable...? If I was burning any less I'd feel like I was running the boat for free. My buddy's Greenough 17 with the carburated Yamaha 100 on the stern gets about the same mileage, but my buddy's G21 with the big Suzy 200 sucks 'em up at about 12-16gph+, but that thing is a certified Maritime Missle, so it's got that going for it. Got to say, on the way back to the harbor on those rare, super clean late afternoons, it's hard not to twist it on and make 'em fly.
Yep, a buddy that has the same hull as I do but twin 2-stoke 150 Yamahas. He burns at least 3x more than I do...but he can go 42 knots. Need to fill up his 120 gallons (in two tanks) or my 34.6 gallon tank? Your choice!
starbright55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #752
John ioane

What is the inside dimensions of you overhead cab ?
John ioane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #753
skiff

John- I'm going to assume that your question was directed to me? Not sure of the exact dims but...... the boat itself has a beam of 6' 6", so the photos should give you a good approximation of the interior sizing? I'm 5' 11" tall, and standing up inside the cabin, the cabintop clears the top of my head by.... a half inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c1.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	176921   Click image for larger version

Name:	c2.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	176922   Click image for larger version

Name:	c4.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	176923   Click image for larger version

Name:	c5.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	176924   Click image for larger version

Name:	c6.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	176925  

Name:	c7.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	176926   Click image for larger version

Name:	c8.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	176927   Click image for larger version

Name:	c9.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	176928   Click image for larger version

Name:	c10.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	176929   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-06-2009 02;42;41PM.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	176930  

skiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #754
John ioane

Quote:
John- I'm going to assume that your question was directed to me? Not sure of the exact dims but...... the boat itself has a beam of 6' 6", so the photos should give you a good approximation of the interior sizing? I'm 5' 11" tall, and standing up inside the cabin, the cabintop clears the top of my head by.... a half inch.
I'm thinking of adding an overhead cabin to a slightly over 17' Radon and wanted to know what the inside height of your cabin is. The beam of the boat is about 7'10". You have a great looking boat and by the pictures, it performs really well. What type and size of plywood did you use for the cabin ?. Anyway, you have a beautiful boat. Any tips or info to help me on my project will be greatly appreciated.Thanks for the quick response.
Aloha, John
Old 08-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #755
CitoRat4Ever
I bungee my freezer shut

I believe the standard is to build them as low as you can. It helps to keep the lower center of gravity. Like Skiffs, mine just barely clears my head if I am standing straight with my knees locked. Build the boat for you, unless selling it is in your immediate future. In that case you might want to make sure it will fit a person of a slightly larger stature, wouldnt want to exclude potential buyers.

Nicholas DuMong - Ex-President, Santa Barbara Freedivers - I'm out bitches!

http://www.wongspearguns.com/
CitoRat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #756
mendogotblood

Skiff- That old picture of that small camo radon jagged with urchins is an awesome photo!

Had some nice weather up here and during the dive week we heard the sport guys were slaying the salmon. So after 24 years of growing up and my dad taking me fishing on his radon I was able to take him out on mine. We had 4 takedowns; I was so jazzed to catch a fish I lost the first two one of them was a big fish too burned line and then ran at the boat. Landed the last one though. My dad got to land the first salmon on my boat and was just stoked he didn't have to pay for gas!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	downsize (51).jpg
Views:	604
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	176939   Click image for larger version

Name:	downsize (52).jpg
Views:	583
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	176940  
mendogotblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #757
John ioane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitoRat4Ever View Post
I believe the standard is to build them as low as you can. It helps to keep the lower center of gravity. Like Skiffs, mine just barely clears my head if I am standing straight with my knees locked. Build the boat for you, unless selling it is in your immediate future. In that case you might want to make sure it will fit a person of a slightly larger stature, wouldnt want to exclude potential buyers.
That is one of my main concerns. I want the height of the cabin to balance out the width and the length of the boat and not be top heavy or too heavy in the bow. It is pretty rough and windy here on Maui and an overhead cabin makes sense here to stay out of the elements. I am 6' 0" tall so a couple inches over that for the inside height of the cab should be OK. Thanks for your help
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #758
skiff

MDGB- Yeah, I love that photo, classic Pt. Arena, all the way. I wish I had more photos of the boat in its earlier incarnation, but that's the only one I have, so I cherish it. Stoked you had such a great time with your Dad. Mine is gone, and like all guys that have watched their Dad pass on, we all we wish we'd done more and created more chances for stuff like this to happen. Keep it up.

John-CitoRat is absolutely correct from everything that I've ever heard. You want that cabin to be as LOW as you can physically make it; for ride, for aesthetics, for weight distribution, and for windage. On Maui? ESPECIALLY for windage!

For my little boat, and even for yours with the larger beam, designing and building that cabin as low as possible will be KEY. The art of it for my boat, and for several ones that have been done 'after', was to create a lower space to stand in when driving the boat. I had seen a small 17' Radon out of Oregon that fished urchins there at Albion in NorCal, and I saw that he had built a 'step down' area which gave him the opportunity to 'lower' the overall cabin height. It seemed genius.

When I showed it to Bill and Ed, they liked the concept, and (*though the actual naming of it is a long story that I won't bore you with...), 'Bandini Lake' was born. That BL is the single thing that helped them lower the cabin profile. I've included a few photos here of the build that you may find useful? Take a look, then design the thing so it fits you plus an inch or two, and voila, that will be your inside standing height. Side to side? Just give yourself 'enough' of a walkway around the cabin on the caprail... mine is 'tight', but guess what, EVERYTHING IS TIGHT on a boat this size, so it's how you best design every single square half inch that will prove the success of your design. Good luck with it, and please post up the photos of the build, I know everybody on here would really dig seeing it as it comes together for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b1.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	177020   Click image for larger version

Name:	b2.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	177021   Click image for larger version

Name:	b3.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	177022   Click image for larger version

Name:	b4.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	177023   Click image for larger version

Name:	b5.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	177024  

Name:	b7.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	177025   Click image for larger version

Name:	b8.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	177026   Click image for larger version

Name:	b9.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	177027   Click image for larger version

Name:	b10.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	177028   Click image for larger version

Name:	chops older brother.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	177029  

Old 08-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #759
John ioane

Quote:
MDGB- Yeah, I love that photo, classic Pt. Arena, all the way. I wish I had more photos of the boat in its earlier incarnation, but that's the only one I have, so I cherish it. Stoked you had such a great time with your Dad. Mine is gone, and like all guys that have watched their Dad pass on, we all we wish we'd done more and created more chances for stuff like this to happen. Keep it up.

John-CitoRat is absolutely correct from everything that I've ever heard. You want that cabin to be as LOW as you can physically make it; for ride, for aesthetics, for weight distribution, and for windage. On Maui? ESPECIALLY for windage!

For my little boat, and even for yours with the larger beam, designing and building that cabin as low as possible will be KEY. The art of it for my boat, and for several ones that have been done 'after', was to create a lower space to stand in when driving the boat. I had seen a small 17' Radon out of Oregon that fished urchins there at Albion in NorCal, and I saw that he had built a 'step down' area which gave him the opportunity to 'lower' the overall cabin height. It seemed genius.

When I showed it to Bill and Ed, they liked the concept, and (*though the actual naming of it is a long story that I won't bore you with...), 'Bandini Lake' was born. That BL is the single thing that helped them lower the cabin profile. I've included a few photos here of the build that you may find useful? Take a look, then design the thing so it fits you plus an inch or two, and voila, that will be your inside standing height. Side to side? Just give yourself 'enough' of a walkway around the cabin on the caprail... mine is 'tight', but guess what, EVERYTHING IS TIGHT on a boat this size, so it's how you best design every single square half inch that will prove the success of your design. Good luck with it, and please post up the photos of the build, I know everybody on here would really dig seeing it as it comes together for you.
Mahalo nui !!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #760
WESTBURY

Quote:

cool series of build pictures.
thanks for throwing those up......

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #761
sbsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ioane View Post
I'm thinking of adding an overhead cabin to a slightly over 17' Radon and wanted to know what the inside height of your cabin is. The beam of the boat is about 7'10".
John, take a look at the grey 18ft Radon below to give you some other ideas for the overhead, this is my buddy's boat and he did the cabin himself, an open one like this might be a little better for the warmer Hawaiian weather.

Took my little 20ft Radon out to the islands for the weekend with my gal and snapped a few pics. I love this older Wilson that is slipped near the launch ramp (Solera). There's just something i dig about the mid cabin setup...must be a nice ride too. Had the CG cutter on my flank the entire trip across the channel, pretty impressive boat to say the least...huge exhaust, tons of horsepower. It was probably cruising at 18 knots. Ran into the orange 26 on my way out. I spotted this boat from MILES away, not hard to spot if someone was searching for it. Cruised up on my buddy's 18fter right when he was landing a nice flatty.

It sure was a nice weekend out there..only bummer was the crack i found in my outdrive when i got back and was cleaning off the boat . I'm repowering this great little boat in the next few years so i just wanted a quick fix for this issue. I decided to swap the lower cracked Bravo 2 with a newer Bravo 3 lower unit. Hoping to get a little better fuel consumption and maybe gain a little top speed as well. She'll be in good hands with Greg and Ken at Channel Islands Marine and back on the water pretty soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caitlinloadedup.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	177108   Click image for larger version

Name:	solera1.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	177109   Click image for larger version

Name:	solera2.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	177110   Click image for larger version

Name:	coasguard.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	177111   Click image for larger version

Name:	radon26.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	177112  

Name:	radon18.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	177113   Click image for larger version

Name:	headinhome.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	177114   Click image for larger version

Name:	crackoutdrive.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	177115  

Last edited by sbsurfer; 08-15-2012 at 01:06 AM.
sbsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #762
CitoRat4Ever
I bungee my freezer shut

Just got the Sea Wolf back from Anderson's today and dropped it off at Hendrix Mfg. to get the kelp knife and swim platform put on.

While I was there I got a chance to check out the 19' Radon Henry is selling. It's a pretty sweet little boat. If anyone is thinking about jumping into the market, but doesn't have the cash for a bigger setup I would check that thing out.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #763
skiff

Cito- I bet you're stoked to have her back! Seems like a fast turnaround, always a good thing!

Have I missed Henry's posting on his 19' Radon? Love to hear more about it...?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #764
CitoRat4Ever
I bungee my freezer shut

Skiff,

The turn around was really quick for both shops. The kelp knife is absolutely tits! Razor sharp and should make my lumming quite a bit easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	177226   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).jpg
Views:	477
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	177227  

Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #765
sbsurfer

Just came across this 21ftr on craigslist, looks like a turnkey rig if anyone was looking. I dig the walk around pilothouse setup on this thing.

Also, has anyone out there replaced a bravo 2 with a bravo 3, if so what did you see as the differences in the two? I'll be doing this next week to my Radon since my B2 lower unit is toast. anyone looking for a stainless prop for a bravo 2 (19 pitch i think) i'll be getting rid of mine shortly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	21radon.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	177271  
sbsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote