Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
sharpshooter

Anybody been to the MG lately?

Figure some of you might have gone there for the TBSC on Saturday. Thanks ahead of time for any reports. Also, how is the shark population out there?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
CatDiver

Re: Anybody been to the MG lately?

We went out there Saturday and dive conditions were excellent. Was 78 degrees on the top, slightly cooler at the bottom. I didn't check my computer for the temp but 4 of the 5 divers just dove in SPF shirts and swimsuits. Visibility wasn't quite top to bottom, but it was pretty close. Some spots had algae growing on the bottom like we see closer to shore lately. But other spots didn't have any of it. Was hit or miss on the fish, and we struggled to find any big hogfish on this trip. Biggest hog was 9 lbs which I shot on the same dive as a 33 inch Gag. On a different dive, I shot a 30 inch red grouper that ended up 16 pounds. A couple of other divers shot 12 pound red snapper. Also, a couple middle grounds mangroves in the mix. I don't recall what they weighed. We shot a lot of fish overall, but we used 20 tanks of air before we headed home.

Long day but really great diving. I've got video that I'll try putting together sooner than later. Some of it is pretty good.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
sharpshooter

The red grouper was a fire truck. Congrats. 20 tanks. Damn, that was a lot of tank weight on the boat. Any sharks? Thanks, for the great report. Can't wait for your video. Am looking forward to getting out there soon.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #4
CatDiver

Yeah thanks, the Red Grouper was my personal best. We actually put 26 tanks on the boat but did one more spot on the way back home. It was probably the heaviest we've ever loaded the boat. Weight definitely affected gas mileage but otherwise boat performed great.

As far as sharks, we only saw two. One I was told was 5-6 foot and probably a sandbar. And then we saw a smaller one than that on the surface actually at the buoy for a moment.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote