Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #31
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

Re: Carbon Fin Reviews

Petros,

there are some exotic fins out there. Alchemy I heard about, Blacktek but I can't wait to hear about the new Pathos blades! But i'm more than satisfied with my Bleutec's right now!!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #32
protenek

Great thread and review Freedivingfool, great input on the Bleutecs Petros and great info from all the other guys too. Thank you all, this help out a lot of us guys willing to learn about carbons, specially for someone like me living out side US and having a hard time to find even a regular fin over here. I did not have any experience at all with carbons but after reading a lot of reviews last year I decided to try a set of Moanas with Pathos footpockets size 40-42 (6 ½ - 8 ½ ) that I bought practically new from another sb member because they were to small on his feet. By the way, JD and Petros were kind enought to help me out to figure if it would fit me and how to mold the footpockets even if I did not buy from them. Great guys! I do not have prior or post experience with any other carbons, but Moana are really great, and its a great and awesome difference for sure coming from OmerMilleniums (which I still like them a lot to go jetty spearfishing).

Anyway, Moanas are great in my opinion (product and business philosophy), and Pathos footpockets are real light and great, but not sure if they are strong enough or I just got unlucky because this past weekend fighting a fish the right pocket just developed a big crack at the inner tendon and notice a small crack on the same part of the left footpocket. I read some other posts stating that Pathos has the tendency to break right there. Any of you have any input on this? An further more, how do I remove the broken footpockets? I dont know what to do later on, thinking to try out some Mares footpockets. Carlos
protenek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #33
protenek

By the way, fins were taken proper care since I bought them July 2013. Do not use them a lot, but use them extensively for 3 trips to the Pacific (October 2013, January and February 2014), and 2 other times over here in the oilrigs before this happened last weekend on a trip to check out a nearby buoy. Always kept in shadow a/c place. Other Milleniums fins I own have been deeply abuse and still going on after years of use.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #34
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

I've been seeing a lot of Alchemy, I would really like to see some reviews on them. I'm stoked to here so much good things about bleutec. As of now I'm using the nautilus (leader fin) carbon Kevlar and have been a very nice blade. I haven't been able to test anything else yet but I'm looking to upgrade in the next few months!

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #35
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

Yes the Bleutec's are nice but for pure beating up purpose and to get into the carbon world, leaderfins are a good start. It seems like a lot of companies are turning to them to make their fins, Mako, Nautilus and even Petros is starting to carry them at spearamerica. I'm trying to baby my Bleutec's as much as I can but the reef here will eventually get them.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #36
MahiMan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyterkillsling View Post
I've been seeing a lot of Alchemy, I would really like to see some reviews on them. I'm stoked to here so much good things about bleutec. As of now I'm using the nautilus (leader fin) carbon Kevlar and have been a very nice blade. I haven't been able to test anything else yet but I'm looking to upgrade in the next few months!
Whats up Chris!.... Just want to set some things straight and not have false info. for those who may not know our carbon kevlar blades are not leaderfins at all mold and material and channels totally different have these made elsewhere. Our pure carbons are however manufactured by Leaderfins and are not mixed glass and CF. Working on something new very soon hopefully

http://www.nautilusspearfishing.com/

http://www.youtube.com/spearheadstv

F.I.I. Freediving Classes in Miami
Spearfishing Gear and Acc.
MahiMan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #37
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Quote:
Originally Posted by protenek View Post
Great thread and review Freedivingfool, great input on the Bleutecs Petros and great info from all the other guys too. Thank you all, this help out a lot of us guys willing to learn about carbons, specially for someone like me living out side US and having a hard time to find even a regular fin over here. I did not have any experience at all with carbons but after reading a lot of reviews last year I decided to try a set of Moanas with Pathos footpockets size 40-42 (6 ½ - 8 ½ ) that I bought practically new from another sb member because they were to small on his feet. By the way, JD and Petros were kind enought to help me out to figure if it would fit me and how to mold the footpockets even if I did not buy from them. Great guys! I do not have prior or post experience with any other carbons, but Moana are really great, and its a great and awesome difference for sure coming from OmerMilleniums (which I still like them a lot to go jetty spearfishing).

Anyway, Moanas are great in my opinion (product and business philosophy), and Pathos footpockets are real light and great, but not sure if they are strong enough or I just got unlucky because this past weekend fighting a fish the right pocket just developed a big crack at the inner tendon and notice a small crack on the same part of the left footpocket. I read some other posts stating that Pathos has the tendency to break right there. Any of you have any input on this? An further more, how do I remove the broken footpockets? I dont know what to do later on, thinking to try out some Mares footpockets. Carlos

It is a fact that we did have a few pockets break at the tendons. I know that JD also had Mares pockets break though and i also had Beuchat. The percentage is extremely low (less than 1%) and you should try to get the Pathos again. All you do to remove it is use a blade and cut the tendons out.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!

Last edited by Cyprus_Spearo; 06-06-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #38
protenek

Thanks Petros! Congrats on your website, awesome products! Carlos
Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #39
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Please tell me how you want to arrange this. I can send you a pair of pockets to glue or you can find a way to send the blades my way and i can glue them for you. Kyle Parker is in Mexico now and he will be there for two weeks. Maybe you can ship them to him.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #40
protenek

Petros, pockets send my way would be awesome. That is a really nice gesture and stand up brand and representative. That is defenitely good karma. Send you a pm to work out the details. Thanks, really apprecciated.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #41
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

So the opportunity presented itself and I could not resist! My boss headed down to Brisbane, Australia for a conference and he also freedives, so knowing that Adreno dive shop was there which is the biggest Dive shop in Australia (that I know of) I gave him a shopping list. I already have my dream gun (Abellan Denton and Pathos) I always wanted a DIVE R carbon fins but few shop in the states carried them, so I told him to pick me one up. So here it is Carbon DIVE R fins with the Adreno Dive Shop logo, I really wanted the carbons with the Beryrillum inlay but they had limited options in Carbon. But these were a steal at $350 Australian dollars on sale and was the last one. My Boss was told that Ray Powell will no longer be making fins for awhile as he was burned badly from an BBQ accident (told to my boss by the Adreno staff).

So the blades feel much more heavier than the Bleutec fins but about the same weight as the Moana and Deep Apnea. The carbon is THICK and seems indestructible. I will be putting these in my Pathos Red foot pockets (thanks Andrew at Nautilus), I found out you can shape the pathos footpockets into any shape almost with heat gun and they will conform in that position if submerged in cold water right way. I will post the results of my dive with them soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	207133  
Old 06-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #42
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

Oh I sold my Deep Apnea fins, as I think they were too fragile for the reef diving here. The Fin edges would chip off constantly and I would have to sand it down a lot to prevent chipping and very sharp edges. Other than that they were great fins but not as good as the Bleutec's!!
Old 06-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #43
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedivingfool View Post
So the opportunity presented itself and I could not resist! My boss headed down to Brisbane, Australia for a conference and he also freedives, so knowing that Adreno dive shop was there which is the biggest Dive shop in Australia (that I know of) I gave him a shopping list. I already have my dream gun (Abellan Denton and Pathos) I always wanted a DIVE R carbon fins but few shop in the states carried them, so I told him to pick me one up. So here it is Carbon DIVE R fins with the Adreno Dive Shop logo, I really wanted the carbons with the Beryrillum inlay but they had limited options in Carbon. But these were a steal at $350 Australian dollars on sale and was the last one. My Boss was told that Ray Powell will no longer be making fins for awhile as he was burned badly from an BBQ accident (told to my boss by the Adreno staff).

So the blades feel much more heavier than the Bleutec fins but about the same weight as the Moana and Deep Apnea. The carbon is THICK and seems indestructible. I will be putting these in my Pathos Red foot pockets (thanks Andrew at Nautilus), I found out you can shape the pathos footpockets into any shape almost with heat gun and they will conform in that position if submerged in cold water right way. I will post the results of my dive with them soon.
That is horrible, hope Ray is Ok. That is bad for me too as Ray was supposed to send me 3 pairs including the Beryllium the end of last week.

When I talked to Ray when I was ordering he did not recommend Pathos as I also inquired how they paired with DiveR. Just a heads up.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #44
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
When I talked to Ray when I was ordering he did not recommend Pathos as I also inquired how they paired with DiveR. Just a heads up.
Omer Stingrays have the right angle for the tang of DiveRs. The footpockets run large in the sizing, FYI.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #45
AlexbeeintheUK

Just going to chime in here and mention the Cressi Gara Carbons (i believe they are Carbon Kevlar not CF) which i acquired a little while ago and have used for maybe ~20hrs so far.
I have not had the pleasure of testing a whole range of high-end fins but the Cressi Carbons feel amazing compared to my plastic Mako's (competition) & Cressi's (gara modular) as well as fiberglass SEAC's i have. The carbon kevlar has a camo pattern on them and the resin on the surface is 'pitted' and not perfectly smooth, this initially bothered me but i think it helps reduce the weight - they are very light!

Thinking about it, the Cressi's [theoretically] should be more durable than other CF blades as they are made from kevlar not pure CF, correct? Let me know your thoughts/insight on this please guys.
Someone told me recently that whilst they might be more durable, they would never perform as well as pure CF fins like the Moana's? I have already hit them on wrecks/rocks and the only mark so far is an inch long scrape that is barely noticeable - every tiny mark/scrape/ding is noticeable to carbon fin owners, am i right?!
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote