Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
crittergetter

A word to MAKO

It has been years now and I hardly had a good word to say about the MAKO line. I always had a reason, or another, to bitch about the quality, or the fact that I had to call in for a replacement. However, within the last year I looked at all my gear and despite the previous, I am still using much of the MAKO gear I originally purchased, even if it is because I was granted replacement items.

Just to clear it up, this isn't an invitation for one of those unpleasant complaint sessions which often comes about with the mention of the MAKO name. I honestly don't care, nor do I want to hear it again. Instead, I wanted to take the opportunity to thank MAKO for being fair to me and my buck. One thing becomes apparent when I evaluate my personal gear usage. It is that I break all gear, sooner or later, regardless of how much I spend on it, or where I buy it. Where I buy my gear now is my business, although I have made my preferences known, even if no one really noticed.

I guess the question remains, why I would even bother to say anything at all? I basically think we all have a voice that means something to someone, even if it means nothing to many. Essentially I want to do what I owe, and that is to give thanks, since I feel it is due.

Thanks again MAKO for keeping me in the water and being good to me, my friends, and my family.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Re: A word to MAKO

Well said sir,

Despite all the nasty things people have to say about Mako, I have never heard of a company that will track YOU down when they hear you were not satisfied about something. This year Dano heard from someone else about a defective suit that I used heavily FOR A WHOLE YEAR and still sent me a new one, free of charge. They even offered to send me money for shipping the old one back to them (they are going to research the defect, to avoid the problem in the future). It feels good to be taken care of. Seems like they have been on top of their product development and are pumping out more refined gear than ever.

Super happy with the new suit, and will be sure to give them some of my business in the future.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Carmelspearo

I buy almost all of my spearfishing gear from Dano at Mako spearguns because the price you pay for the quality you get and the customer service is unrivaled. My father in law broke the muzzle on my open track predator pro II when he was diving in some rough conditions and I asked Dano where I can get the replacement. He ended up sending me a new and improved version of the open track muzzle with some new metal parts that they added free of charge. I buy everything I can from them because I know that they will stand behind their product and take care of me as a customer. I especially like their policy with their weights and weight belts. If you have to ditch you weight belt in an emergency they will replace it all free of charge if you send in a short summary of what happened and what you learned or how you could have avoided that situation. They are far more concerned with your safety than earning a huge profit off of you. Nothing but positive things to say about Mako spearguns.
Carmelspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Gaudi

Every piece of mako gear I have I am hugely satisfied with.
Gaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
LIX11

i'm very happy with the service and quality of my predator pro speargun I will definitely purchase from them again
LIX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
Lompoc Local
Errin

I've been very happy with all my MAKO gear, that's for sure

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
Brandiego
Team Fii

I was sponsored by a premium line for my gear, guns, fins, suits, everything. I have nothing bad to say about them, they were all very nice but when it came time to renew my contract, I declined so that I could use Mako gear. I don't have a contract with Mako or a sponsorship, I just like their equipment and their service. They give my students a discount on their gear and I'm never afraid to send them to Mako. That is huge to me. I made my first purchase of their gear about 5 years ago and I think the biggest equipment failure was some stitching came undone on a sock. That's my biggest gripe. Of course they sent me new socks immediately.

I've chosen Mako to compete in, teach and recreate in and have never been disappointed. I've got nothing more to say than Thank You Mako.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
campbellc0321
Cortez Morning

You all sound like women. Or guilty of something.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #9
crittergetter

Errin, you have never used a single peace of MAKO gear, and that is ok. Campbell, you likely don't know how a woman looks like, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Don't pollute my thread. If you need to voice your negative opinion, do so elsewhere since it may be valid; bottom line, start your own thread. If you must say something nasty, I will rip into you like a raccoon into a bag of curly fries. I will ultimately start adding you to the ignore list as needed, not that trolls care. I realize that simply disagreeing with someone doesn't make you a troll.

When it comes down to it, I am not posting to be popular. I am doing it to at least "talk the walk", and I have often been "walking" in MAKO gear.

To the rest of you guys, I am glad your experience with MAKO has been good. I appreciate your posts.

Last edited by crittergetter; 12-10-2014 at 03:12 AM.
crittergetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
xrispearo
you cant see mee

if everyone agreed with you, do you think this forum would exist?

I still DO NOT see the point of creating this thread. You bashed the quality, under a guise of customer service.

anyone who loves a SINGLE company enough to make a thread about it is drinking the coolaide. Not One company has the perfect gear line-up. A smart spearfishermen buys separate gear from each company that makes the best product in their line-up. If your buying all mako gear because of the service and low price that doesn't mean its the best value in the long run.

for example:
I think Beuchat wetsuits are the best
sporasub makes the best mask
aimrite makes the best guns
mako makes the best?? im still not sure what their flagship product is since its rebranded crap
Old 12-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
Brandiego
Team Fii

I don't think anyone here is saying that Mako has the perfect gear line up and that all other companies should close shop. I either own or have owned Omer, Sporasub, Immersion, Gatku, Moana, Riffe, Argos, Pathos, Apnea, Beuchat and have an incredible custom Herrannen gun. All of them have their strong points. In my experience and OPINION, Mako is my favorite gear.

I've seen plenty of other threads started with the aim of promoting and or thanking other manufacturers. The "JBL Sucks" thread really seems to stick out in my memory. I personally don't like to take part in all of the negative post and threads and if there is a product I don't like, I simply don't buy it instead of bashing it in an online forum. It is refreshing to see a positive thread in December in California. So given the opportunity to post something positive, I went with it, no cool aid here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispearo View Post
if everyone agreed with you, do you think this forum would exist?

I still DO NOT see the point of creating this thread. You bashed the quality, under a guise of customer service.

anyone who loves a SINGLE company enough to make a thread about it is drinking the coolaide. Not One company has the perfect gear line-up. A smart spearfishermen buys separate gear from each company that makes the best product in their line-up. If your buying all mako gear because of the service and low price that doesn't mean its the best value in the long run.

for example:
I think Beuchat wetsuits are the best
sporasub makes the best mask
aimrite makes the best guns
mako makes the best?? im still not sure what their flagship product is since its rebranded crap
Old 12-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
Freedvrjim
straight shooter

When you lose the fish of a lifetime because a component fails on a piece of equipment that you can get replaced for free, please let us know...
Granted any manufacturer's product can fail over time but when something fails
for no good reason, I will choose quality over quantity every time. A seasoned spero knows this and thats all I have to say about that!
Old 12-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
crittergetter

The point of the thread was to show a level of appreciation consistent with reality. The reality for me is that I have overall benefited from using MAKO gear, despite some of the failures I have had over the years. I am sure many of you fall in that category. Consistently using company's gear and claiming that it is crap, or low quality is a form of hypocriticism. Showing some gratitude goes a long way.

I can sympathize with loss of game due to gear failure. I know how devastating and how much of a let down that can be. As I have said though, I have been around long enough to see some of the most expensive gear fail. Thus I choose to remain objective, to a certain point.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
Chainsaw

I FOR ONE AM GLAD TO SEE A POSITIVE POST ON THIS SITE ABOUT ANYTHING.
As far as the boo birds on here who post negatives just to use their pie holes, it is exactly why most spearos have left the site.
My 5 mil and 3 mil wetuites are both Mako's and I actually just changed a year ago to the Mako line. I dove JBL suit's for 2 years but they don't fit me well for a rack suit because of my manly upper body. LOL
I have nothing but good things to say about Mako products.
Tentative manager Long Beach Neptunes
Waterman's Alliance founding member
Daryl Wong
Mori
Ennis customs
2 time Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet winner 2007 and 2016
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
I FOR ONE AM GLAD TO SEE A POSITIVE POST ON THIS SITE ABOUT ANYTHING.
As far as the boo birds on here who post negatives just to use their pie holes, it is exactly why most spearos have left the site.
My 5 mil and 3 mil wetuites are both Mako's and I actually just changed a year ago to the Mako line. I dove JBL suit's for 2 years but they don't fit me well for a rack suit because of my manly upper body. LOL
I have nothing but good things to say about Mako products.
You shoot any of their guns?

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote