Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #1
LoveToDive

Tuna trip

I am DETERMINED to go out on a TUNA TRIP before the season ends ... willing to Charter, Throw Down on Gas ... any option.

Experienced Blue Water Hunter with Tuna Rig, can dive during the week as well ... Please DM me any trips, ideas or options!

Spent two days in Cali so far chasing around schools that were too deep and moving too fast to respond to chum or come within range, but determined to take one more crack at it!
LoveToDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
HappiSpear

Re: Tuna trip

I'll throw in cash with you to help with the charter
HappiSpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
Bob Ballew

It is getting late in the game but, the 181 to the 182 is still holding bluefin...San Clemente island closures are impeding boats trying to work the area 5 miles to the southwest of Pyramid....more yellowfin showing than bluefin...suggest taking bags of chum bait to try and hold them near the boat....otherwise, dolphin schools may be the best intersection plan...
There are dorado on the kelp paddies within a couple of miles off Catalina's east end....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-21-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
Chainsaw

The island was closed last weekend.
After checking Santa Barbara Island Thursday and it was dead we headed to Clemente. Also pretty dead. Lot's of hammerhead sharks both sides, really dirty water and full moon tides ripping.
The tuna are no longer foaming, and most are staying 100 to 200 feet down, they do not want to respond to flashers or chum, and the chum invites the wrong guests.
One WSB was taken by one of our buddies at SBI out of 8 guys in the water all day all over the island.
Clemente I know of two fish shot one small blue fin and a 30 pound yellow, but other than that it has really changed.
If a big warm up comes and holds or a tropical storm pushes some warm water up we may get another shot at tuna in the yellowfin variety but the blue fin are almost moving on.
I am not saying it cannot be done but fall is all over the place and summer is gone.
The good news? Lobsters are everywhere.
Tentative manager Long Beach Neptunes
Waterman's Alliance founding member
Daryl Wong
Mori
Ennis customs
2 time Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet winner 2007 and 2016
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
LoveToDive

Thanks so much for the input Bob and Chainsaw. I was assuming it's getting late in the season. Still trying to take one more day to chase them if I can!
Old 09-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
HappiSpear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToDive View Post
Thanks so much for the input Bob and Chainsaw. I was assuming it's getting late in the season. Still trying to take one more day to chase them if I can!
Where there's a will there's way my brotha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
It is getting late in the game but, the 181 to the 182 is still holding bluefin...San Clemente island closures are impeding boats trying to work the area 5 miles to the southwest of Pyramid....more yellowfin showing than bluefin...suggest taking bags of chum bait to try and hold them near the boat....otherwise, dolphin schools may be the best intersection plan...
There are dorado on the kelp paddies within a couple of miles off Catalina's east end....

Bob this is valuable, how can we convince you to guide for a trip!?
HappiSpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiSpear View Post
Where there's a will there's way my brotha!

Bob this is valuable, how can we convince you to guide for a trip!?
I'll throw a subtle hint out there for you:
All- I mean ALL the successful tuna divers here this year have quit the chase, because the chase is over.

You are looking at either Cabo, PV, or wait until mid June to start scouring the ocean here again.

It is what it is; it was an incredible year, but they have shut off for the diving aspect. Danny was 100% correct.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
LookPointShoot

Add me to the "quit the chase" camp. Paul's absolutely right. I don't want to burst your bubble, but the chance of you shooting one, if there's even any chance at all, is so minimal that it's not worth your money. Like, not even remotely close to worth your money. It wouldn't even be worth your money if you were a super experienced tuna guy, but going out for the first time is even extra not worth it.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
LoveToDive

Guys, I am heading out of San Diego on Saturday towards The Coronado Islands ... any reports from that area?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
mikeme

Check the weather. Right now Tanner bank is gusting to 30 Knots.
mikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
spearVibes

nados were clean when i was there tuesday but that was just as all this rain was coming in so idk now, fish when we first got there for about an hour at low tide then they all disappeared as there were 7 sea lions in a group trolling the area. they would come by more often and really harass you as the day went on

the yellows were in the 25lb range, small school and there was a large schools of beefy bonita but that was it

Last edited by spearVibes; 09-22-2016 at 12:07 PM. Reason: correction
spearVibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #12
Bob Ballew

A few bad trips doesn't mean the season is over...I had 2 bad ones before connecting the 3rd try....Others have been out 7 or 8 times without connecting...spending time on the tuna grounds is required and lots of tenacity; backed with lots of patience.....Learning to do combo trips took me a few years to try, as I was a diehard spearman...but, it certainly increases your chances of coming home with fish when the diving is bad.....I agree on one point...there are a lot of hammerheads and makos out there.....

Summer, Fall and Winter in Calle-fornya simply means some days are cooler than others.....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 09-22-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:41 AM   #13
seawolf
Winter Is Always Here

I went out at least 12 times for only 2-3 sightings of fish farther than the range of my guns and I'm hating life. I really hope they come back and make it successful for me.
seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #14
Bob Ballew

Bluefin are very frustrating to chase...Once, at Cortez Bank, I fired a dead on shot at a nice bluefin, shooting ahead of the fish by 2'...the fish simply rolled over sideways as the shaft homed in dead center and my shaft went over the bluefin's side by 2 inches....they have fantastic eyesight....another lesson that left me dumbfounded and amazed....
....right now, if I was going out, I would be 10 to 15 off La Jolla chasing the big schools of yellowfin...