Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
JA spearo

what to do if swb or samba occurs

Hey guys i was wondering what are the basics of what to do when your buddy has swb or samba. I know the best way to learn is fii class and i am planning on taking one as soon as i get the money buy i would like to know some basics in the mean time so if something should happen before i take the class, i know what to do.

thanks
JA spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Cbuzo

Re: what to do if swb or samba occurs

I leaned a lot from this video , It made me a safer diver

http://vimeo.com/2060317
Cbuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
JA spearo

awesome just what i was looking for.

thanks alot
JA spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
arsic2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbuzo View Post

I was also looking for answers to the above questions. As to what exactly to do during a SWB.
That video explained it all in great detail. Going to share it with my buddy.
What an awesome find!
arsic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
jewelsdiver
Team Fii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA spearo View Post
I know the best way to learn is fii class
the video is very informative...I completely agree the best way to learn is an Fii course...

a good practice to help you feel confident with your rescue skills is to dive with the same buddy as often as you can. that way you become familiar with each others dive styles and limits, and it becomes super easy to recognize if they are becoming dangerously hypoxic (low on o2)

...your reaction time will be lightning fast and the likelihood of it escalating to a more dangerous event is diminished...

i run Fii courses down here in Cozumel...depending on where you're coming from, it could be a very reasonably priced excursion!!! i can get you some good deals for accommodations, etc..
jewelsdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
drew5546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbuzo View Post

I am going to make all of my dive buddies watch this before we do any kind of deep freediving again. I have read many books but I can't explain these things to my partners the way they do and I can't make them all read the books too but this video is just what I need. Great post. Oh and when I move to lauderdale in a couple years I will be taking fii courses for sure
drew5546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Judge

Great that you got so much out of this video. When I was president of North Shore Underwater Club I asked Erez Beatus, Freediving Instructor from Israel to brief our club on the subject of Sambas and Blackouts. (we had a few young divers that were pushing too hard in their spearing)

Erez did this great briefing, then he supplied me the samba/blackout footage and I edited it into the video you just watched. We distributed the video far and wide and it is posted on various websites. The feed back has always been very positive and I have also had heart felt thanks from one diver who was saved when he blacked out. His two dive buddies had watched the video and handled the situation as advised.

The more divers who watch this the better.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I vote this be made a sticky, every person need to watch this at least twice. Ive watched it three times already, and am going to watch it probably more. Its nice they make it so you can download it. Put it in your iphone or ipad and watch it wherever!!!
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
True spearo

Plain and simple: pull the diver out of the water, take their mask off and blow air on their cheeks and tap on the side of their face.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True spearo View Post
Plain and simple: pull the diver out of the water, take their mask off and blow air on their cheeks and tap on the side of their face.
Don't worry about getting the diver out of the water. It will take too long. As soon as his airways are out of the water, that is when you get busy. Mask off and tell them to breathe. It goes: Talk, Tap, Blow, and if he isn't breathing then, do a rescue breath.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
True spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Don't worry about getting the diver out of the water. It will take too long. As soon as his airways are out of the water, that is when you get busy. Mask off and tell them to breathe. It goes: Talk, Tap, Blow, and if he isn't breathing then, do a rescue breath.
better said!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
pate55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Great that you got so much out of this video. When I was president of North Shore Underwater Club I asked Erez Beatus, Freediving Instructor from Israel to brief our club on the subject of Sambas and Blackouts. (we had a few young divers that were pushing too hard in their spearing)

Erez did this great briefing, then he supplied me the samba/blackout footage and I edited it into the video you just watched. We distributed the video far and wide and it is posted on various websites. The feed back has always been very positive and I have also had heart felt thanks from one diver who was saved when he blacked out. His two dive buddies had watched the video and handled the situation as advised.

The more divers who watch this the better.
Thank you for the Video. I hope I never need the information I retained from it but If I do I am alot better equipped now to deal with it. Every Freediver should see this video.
pate55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
kehloken

That is a great video and it does make sense of the thread of do I really need to take a classhttp://www.spearboard.com/showthread...=143885&page=2

In this thread the OP mentioned classes are dangerous and now I see what he was talking about. Although it is a series of rescues and it does no doubt make a great video for learning how to freedive and the results of sambas and blackouts.

Years ago I did my only freedive to a depth of 40' in maui at black rock I went that far to take a pic of a turtle it kept going deeper, I had twinjet scubapro fins on and after shot I was ascending and thought Uh O I'm not going to make it and this was my 7th dive. I know the feeling, and made several more dives and thought this is not to bad.
That was 8 years ago, and I feel the need to give freediving another go for spearfishing in 20'.

The video did explain in detail on how to help your buddy and there rescues were from what looked like learing how to dive deeper.

Jewlsdiver I have seen your post here in the past few days, do you have that much safety divers in your Fii class?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by pate55 View Post
Thank you for the Video. I hope I never need the information I retained from it but If I do I am alot better equipped now to deal with it. Every Freediver should see this video.
As your dive buddy I hope you dont need it as well

Lucky Jack - .......The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seaboat: weatherly, stiff and fast, very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.
Waiting2Exhale is offline   Reply With Quote