Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
CalHal2014

California Halibut Carcasses Wanted!!!

Greetings!

My name is Cheryl Barnes and I am a graduate student at Moss Landing Marine Laboratories. As part of my master's thesis, I will be conducting a study, which evaluates the reproductive capabilities of California Halibut (Paralichthys californicus). More specifically, I will estimate and compare growth rates, length and age at maturity and egg production of halibut from three central California locations (Half Moon Bay, Monterey Bay and Morro Bay) to better understand this economically important species and provide information for resource management.

If you are interested in donating a carefully-filleted California Halibut carcass (all internal organs intact; you keep the fillets) and/or providing additional information to help advance this study, please contact:

Cheryl L. Barnes, Moss Landing Marine Laboratories
8272 Moss Landing Road | Moss Landing, CA 95039
e: cbarnes@mlml.calstate.edu | p: (831) 515-8232 | f: (831) 632-4403

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to hearing from some of you soon.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
kevtegr8
Subsistence Hunter

Re: California Halibut Carcasses Wanted!!!

I wouldn't be able to keep the organs intact. I always eat the heart.

Good luck

Last edited by kevtegr8; 07-02-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Congrats on getting to your Masters Thesis.

To help break the silence/ice, a few quick responses would further trust from a group that has assisted "biologists" in the past to our detrimental results.

What is your stance on:
1. Ocean Access
2. The MLPA process
3. Existing MPAs/SMCAs
4. Sustainable Take
5. Ocean Stock Assessment

Thanks, and good luck with your studies.

Tank or Free, it's good with me
Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Blue Man

It's pretty easy to tell us what we want to hear on those questions 'o cino.

I'm a little cynical...
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
DThunnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalHal2014 View Post
Greetings!

My name is Cheryl Barnes and I am a graduate student at Moss Landing Marine Laboratories. As part of my master's thesis, I will be conducting a study, which evaluates the reproductive capabilities of California Halibut (Paralichthys californicus). More specifically, I will estimate and compare growth rates, length and age at maturity and egg production of halibut from three central California locations (Half Moon Bay, Monterey Bay and Morro Bay) to better understand this economically important species and provide information for resource management.

If you are interested in donating a carefully-filleted California Halibut carcass (all internal organs intact; you keep the fillets) and/or providing additional information to help advance this study, please contact:

Cheryl L. Barnes, Moss Landing Marine Laboratories
8272 Moss Landing Road | Moss Landing, CA 95039
e: cbarnes@mlml.calstate.edu | p: (831) 515-8232 | f: (831) 632-4403

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to hearing from some of you soon.

Why no histology? Please don't tell me you will assess maturity and reproductive status on GSI or macro-structures. You can have ovaries which are out of season or regressed that can appear as immature and the only way to determine whether or not they actually are is with histology to examine various atretic structures. No if you are looking only at fecundity, you'll be ok, although you will not be able to determine spawning frequency or batch fecundity. I would recommend a re-evaluation of your methods and sampling protocol, as in get a piece of the ovary into formalin ASAP, then look at the POF's, and various stages of oocytes and the potential state of their atresia.

Secondly, what methods do you plan to use to age the fish? How about validation of that method? Marginal increment analyses is not a viable means of validation, if your doing this, your wasting your time?

Have you evaluated the work CDFG did on Halibut in the 40's and 50's? I believe it is available in CDFG bulletins. There was considerable tagging work done that showed a very consistent and directed northward movement, from all tagging areas, something to consider.

On a positive side of things this is very valuable research! It is extremely necessary for doing any sort of quality stock assessment on this or any species. However, the methods used to develop age and maturity schedules needs to be sound, and currently this may need some improvement! Otherwise, just like any "model", garbage in, garbage out!

EDIT: Just read the flyer and the ovaries are not to be frozen which may indicate that she intends to do the histology! IMO, that is the way to go!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
sniper719_2000

Honestly you are not going to find much help here.

Almost everyone on this board is well educated on the new MLPAs and are not happy about any of it. Much of us realized that by taking part and being friendly with researchers we had in fact been supporting the very people looking to take away our fishing rights. Anyone that has studied any type of statistics knows that no matter what the numbers say and research states all of it can be manipulated to support any given statement.

Therefore I think I can state for most of us no thanks....
Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
HeadlessHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalHal2014 View Post
"economically important species"
More "economically important" when the flourishing sustainable species is further restricted as a public resource and primarily available for purchase through seafood distribution companies...
Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
CalHal2014

Hi All,

This research project was initiated as an attempt to fill a gap in our existing knowledge of this species/fishery. I am not interested in spatial distributions or catch rates associated with MPAs, etc. I am simply looking to increase our understanding about the reproductive capabilities of local California Halibut.

Due to financial and logistical limitations, the information used in stock assessments is typically collected and analyzed at large (e.g., state-wide) spatial scales. While averaging the condition of a species across its range simplifies management, small-scale variability remains unaccounted for, often resulting in localized overfishing or under-utilization of the resource. Though regulatory measures are evaluated and revised during stock assessments, data deficiencies continue to prevent optimal management.

In 2011, the California Department of Fish and Game (CDFG) finalized a stock assessment for California Halibut. Although large amounts of information were made available during the stock assessment, data pertained primarily to halibut from southern California. Because many stocks consist of metapopulations (i.e. groups of individuals that are interconnected through larval dispersal, yet characterized by distinct biological characteristics), it is important to understand the life history traits of harvested species by both region and locality. This study will be the first to provide information regarding the reproductive capabilities of California Halibut found north of Point Conception (an area characterized by colder, more nutrient-rich waters than those found to the south).

Although CDFG has collected length and age composition data for this region, estimates of maturity and fecundity remain undetermined. The data regarding central California Halibut life history traits provided by this study are of interest, especially since the length at which 50% of the population reaches sexual maturity is used to establish minimum size limits [the current, state-wide limit of 22” for California Halibut was obtained solely from southern California estimates (Love and Brooks 1990)]. If life history traits are found to vary by region, it may be necessary for resource managers to adjust regulatory actions to balance reproduction and harvest. For example, if California Halibut are found to mature at larger sizes in central California, CDFG may need to increase the size limit north of Point Conception to prevent localized over-exploitation. Conversely, if California Halibut are found to mature at smaller sizes in central California, a recommendation would be made for CDFG to lower the local size limit to increase sustainable yield. If the data show no difference between region, we can be confident that existing management efforts are effective and no change is required.

I am not looking to prove any one of the aforementioned potential outcomes and can assure you that the data will speak for themselves. I am simply seeking the truth and attempting to characterize what is taking place in our region. Regardless of the specific results of this study, data will be provided to more fully understand this resource and hopefully maximize local abundances and harvest rates.

With reference to my methods...I am determining maturity stage macroscopically (which is fairly easy to do during the height of the breeding season - this is when all of my samples will be collected). I am fixing ovaries with 10% buffered formalin within 6-24 hours of capture and storing them in 70% ethanol until processing. I will then be sending samples out for histology to evaluate my macroscopic maturity stage assignments and ensure agreement. Ageing will be conducted using thin-sectioned otoliths (a method that has been verified for California Halibut).

I hope this explanation helps encourage participation in this project and I thank you all for your continued questions/comments.

Sincerely,
Cheryl
Old 07-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Ethan kills
OG Troll

I hope nobody steps in the bullshit.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
ezcompany

how did you hear of spearboard? who pointed you to this direction?
Old 07-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Cheryl, please respond to the questions posted by 'o cino.

also, are you the same Cheryl Barnes who attended Mlpa meetings asking for more closures? it's public record. if so, why would you ask the same people whose lifestyle you attacked to help you?

it appears you are on public record asking to close swamis and la jolla.. to wit:

"Swamis incorporates both shallow & deep water habitats as well as a
great source of surf grass, making it a prime place to protect. Protecting
this area would also make the area much safer for the may surers who
frequent the area I would serve a greater purpose than the Del Mar SMR"

and

"La Jolla is an area rich in biodiversity & habitat neterogencity & deserves
some consideration. The Lapis 1 proposal is the only one that seems to do
the area any justice, the public (fishers, snorkelers, kayakers & divers)
would greatly benefit from the SMR!"

if that's the case, no spearo should help you.

Last edited by ralphthehalibut; 07-03-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
bearclaw
Shaft slinger

I am glad to see other sportsmen standing up and asking questions before being contributors to their own demise.

I have no idea the full background on this subject as I am just getting back into hunting in the water, but the same crap goes down for hunting on land. Getting fooled by the governing bodies into cutting off our own hand.

Legit board here guys, I am looking forward to being a part of it...
Old 07-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Blue Man

Nice research RalphTheHalibut.

Cheryl Barnes, thank you for meddling with our sport and leisure activity/source of food for our families. If you want to "save" fish, go after the commercial guys next time - but not until some real science backs your position. Thank you for taking away our freedom to support your anti-hunting/fishing agenda.

You won't get any help here.

PS. In case I didn't mention it - You suck!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
Nice research RalphTheHalibut.

Cheryl Barnes, thank you for meddling with our sport and leisure activity/source of food for our families. If you want to "save" fish, go after the commercial guys next time - but not until some real science backs your position. Thank you for taking away our freedom to support your anti-hunting/fishing agenda.

You won't get any help here.

PS. In case I didn't mention it - You suck!
we don't know for sure this is the same cheryl barnes. Me, I think it most likely is, but I'm going to reserve judgement until she clears up the question.

However, a quick google search of "Cheryl Barnes MLPA" pulls up quite a bit of stuff, as well as the fact she is posting on other internet forums asking for help, which may mean that should cheryl be the same cheryl that asked for closures, a few posts warning other fishers not to help her may be in order.

If it is her, I do have to say that it never ceases to boggle my mind how little the closurepheliac community thinks of consumptives... I mean, do they honestly think we don't know how to do a google search? Or maybe it's the fact that the fishing community are on the whole such a good group of trusting people and they take advantage of that basic good nature.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
ralphthehalibut
avvie chute>calico curls

I take it back.

This is the same Cheryl that was working for the San Diego Ocean Foundation and actually spent time organizing rides to get more people to MLPA meetings to try and close down our fishing.

Cheryl, kindly F off..

Seriously, your arrogance to think that the same people who you abused should help you? Read my signature line. Thanks to assholes like youn supporting a corrupt process, I can no longer fish in waters my family has been diving for three generations, waters that are the healthiest they have been in decades thanks to good management, not closures.
Closed Thread