Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science

Invasive Species Spearfishing & Science Discuss invasive exotic species such as lionfish, carp, snakehead, etc. including news, spearfishing and scientific research in any geographical region.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Adam N

Exclamation NSU Oceanographic Center: Participate in a spear hunting lionfish survey

Hello hunters!

As spear hunters, you play an important role in local control efforts of the invasive lionfish but how much time in effort are you putting out there?

I am a graduate student at the Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center working under my advisor Dr. David Kerstetter. I would like to tell you about a project I am conducting in Broward and Palm Beach Counties that will describe the South Florida spearfishing community and incorporate any removal effort of the invasive lionfish (Pterois volitans and P. miles) within this ecosystem. This study will measure the amount of control for lionfish already taking place and compare that fishing effort to regular routine fishing efforts for native fish. Any individual 18 or older can participate as long as they are working with a spear and are a certified diver.

This online survey will take five to ten minutes to complete and comprised mostly of multiple choice responses. The information you will need to gather to complete the survey is as follows:
1. Dive profile, including the average depth and total bottom time
2. Site location and dive site name
3. Species caught
4. Number of lionfish and sizes

You do not need to change anything at all about the way you dive to participate in the survey. The survey will begin April 1, 2013 and continue monthly for a year. Divers may participate as often as they wish based upon their own spearfishing experiences. If you are 18 (+) and agree to participate, please enter online the URL address below to begin the survey.

https://purdue.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2fBzzIT2RTNuAVT

I appreciate your participation and look forward to your responses to the survey. I welcome any suggestions or assistance you may be willing to provide. I plan to frequently update raw results from your lionfish removals for everyone to see. Feel free to contact me at nardelli@nova.edu or Facebook.
Sincerely,

Adam Nardelli
Adam N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
jfjf

Re: NSU Oceanographic Center: Participate in a spear hunting lionfish survey

So your study is about spearfishing primarily? You want spearfishers help is self-documenting their fishing efforts for grouper, snapper, hogfish (and also lionfish)? Where can we read about the intent of the study you are involved in?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Adam N

You are exactly correct. The only intent is to quantify effort to establish that lionfish removal is an alternative fishery that is actually productive for both the spear fishing industry and conservation of the reef by removing an invasive species. My goal is to publish the results so that we can gain more understanding of how we can control thier popluation growth and examine impacts on the native species. I have no connection with any other agency for mu study besides Nova Southeastern University. Check out the survey. You will see it is more specific on lionfish and general to the native species.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
jfjf

Thanks for the response. Do you have any information on your study?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Adam N

So far, we do not even have a baseline assessment of a number of lionfish in South Florida. This study is one of its first and at the beginning stage. You as a participant are giving me the information for my study. If you would like to know what my lab does in general you can go to our Facebook page at Kerstetter Fisheries Research Lab. We have projects from tuna to Sting rays. What other information are you specifically interested in? I would be happy to email any lionfish control information.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam N View Post
So far, we do not even have a baseline assessment of a number of lionfish in South Florida. This study is one of its first and at the beginning stage. You as a participant are giving me the information for my study. If you would like to know what my lab does in general you can go to our Facebook page at Kerstetter Fisheries Research Lab. We have projects from tuna to Sting rays. What other information are you specifically interested in? I would be happy to email any lionfish control information.
I am concerned that the spearfishing data with respect to hogfish, snapper and grouper would be used to the detriment of our sport. You haven't explained why you ask so many questions about grouper, snapper and hogfish..
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Adam N

I am looking at a comparison for effort among native species vs. a new species. So the time it takes to hunt lionfish might require more or less effort from the people who are removing them compared to other fish. I am also looking at how much of a normal activity removing lionfish is while hunting native fish.

This is an open and anonymous survey. It is very important to get this information because lionfish are a BIG problem.

I don't know how or why you would be concerned about this study? I am a spear hunter as well. I think its interesting that you immediately took the position that my work was geared out to be detrimental. I am a graduate student trying to graduate and I am not working for a government agency. If you look at the survey, I am asking for time spent hunting and catching native species but not their sizes. Specifically, how would you think this could hurt the spear fishing? I will address and be mindful of those issues. Everyone should already be hunting within the limits so unless people are going beyond the regulations there is nothing I can think of to worry about.

No one has to participate that they doesn't want to but please do not discourage the success of this research effort.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
searaydiver
Capt. Bob Roemer

I don't find your request to be intrusive, I'll gladly add to your survey.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Adam N

Thank you, searaydiver!