Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
AdventureManDan

Spearfishing South Africa - First GT 25kg/55lbs

This past weekend spearfishing up the coast with Koos Jordaan was tough, but rewarding. The first day we were on the water motoring up to our spot by 4:15am! Which turned out to have some amazing photography moments as the golden hour came on. Koos and I both scored one Queen Mackerel (Natal Snoek) early on. After about an hour of kicking down the reef and not seeing anything, my mind was drifting and I was day dreaming. Out of no where my eyes caught sight of a large GT coming straight at me. Immediately I dove down to meet it and turned on my camera. As I did it turned right, presenting me with a perfect broadside. My shot ripped through just above the pectoral fin and out through it's gill plate. A solid shot that would never come loose. Also this makes it much harder for the fish to breath as I fight it. Which is good as it still pulled me around.

After fighting the fish for about five minutes, I still kept my reel line locked and did not give up any slack. Grabbing the fish proved to be it's own challenge. As the tail is too think to get a single hand around. The gill are very sharp, and behind them GT's have another set of gnarly teeth for crushing. So I held it by the spear until I could wrap my legs around it to finish it with my knife. At 25kg/55lbs it ties my second largest fish (W.A. Yellowtail Kingfish). The rest of the day turned out to be very boring. And after another four hours on the same spot and not seeing a thing, we elected to try another spot. Where Koos caught a Mahi Mahi trolling. I gaffed it in and we had a nice boat full of fish to head back with.

The thing I love about South Africa, is how nothing goes to waste. After fish pictures on the beach and dealing with the crowd we headed to the cleaning station. After you clean your fish here, there are usually people waiting to take anything at all you discard. Usually to make a tasty fish soup. I am happy I shot a GT here where I know nothing would go to waste. Many people were fed from the GT, and the discards from that went again to others.

The second day we motored up a bit later, 5am. But this time the Queen Mackerel (Natal Snoek) were really on! Many schools, groups and solo ones coming in from all directions. It was great. And Koos could not have been happier. Once while waiting for more to come by I took a dive on a little cave/ledge. In it I found a peculiar looking Ray. Soon naturally I gave it a little nudge to get some of the sand off it. Then I took a big "step" back. I recognized by it's body type that it was an Electric Ray(Onefin electric ray)! My first time seeing one in person. I took another dive to get some footage. While I did he buried himself back into the sand, very cute little guy. As I rose back up to the surface I saw I was right underneath two Queen Mackerel. An easy shot with good lighting for film.

Soon we had our fill of Queen Mackerel and motored out to drop me off for a couple of drift dives into the deep blue in hopes of a Marlin, Wahoo, Dorado, Sailfish or similar pelagic. On one dive I found a magnificent eagle ray coming out of the sand. On another a very large and aggressive Moray Eel. Then on our way back Koos saw a dorsal fin sticking out ahead of us. He stopped and I was able to get a quick video of a large Hammer Head shark. We headed back in shortly after that, tired for a long weekend of early mornings. But soon I will be back out for another one!
And I can't wait!

Adventureman Dan's Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxW...XlZk1Fw/videos
AdventureManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
AdventureManDan

Re: Spearfishing South Africa - First GT 25kg/55lbs

See the full post on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/adventurema...68433636711475

Adventureman Dan's Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxW...XlZk1Fw/videos
AdventureManDan is offline   Reply With Quote