Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
rnln

SoCal beaches are closed

Does anyone know if they only close the main beaches or everywhere is closed? Did they mention about those dive spots where we rarely see anyone?
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
davej

Re: SoCal beaches are closed

They closed parking lots to keep people from getting too close. It was bad on the boardwalk. Looked like a holiday weekend on Sunday. If you can street park a dinner spot you prob ok
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:30 AM   #3
sidewazzz

Beaches not closed just parking lots. Even if the beaches are closed they can’t close down the water lol
sidewazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:35 AM   #4
rnln

I spent some hours driving around PV. All spots we know are either closed and temporarily no parking sights. Anyone know any spot we can get to the water now?
Thanks.

Funny that the purpose of closing beaches is to prevent people to "party" on the beach, but they even more restrict on those dive spots than the main beaches. I still see people are walking, biking, fishing, and even see surfers in huntington beach today
Old 03-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
ebar

Yesterday drove to Malibu and every beach access is closed, gates locked with zip ties and yellow tape. Temporary no parking signs everywhere. Malibu beach residents finally got their wishes fulfilled to have completely private beaches. I understand closing main LA beaches, promenades, boardwalks and piers but to close access to shores, especially areas where usually you see only 2-3 people at most doesn’t make any sense. And you should see how the crowds have built up past LA county line, in Ventura county. So much for protecting people from gathering pushing everyone right at the border all together.
ebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
campione

It's complete paranoia right now. A surfer got fined $1,000 in Manhattan Beach...
We shore freedivers are the most "socially distanced" in our sport. Only fish are exposed to us...This shore access ban is non-sensical...
They should instead ban medical facilities' access for 'flu' symptoms and other small issues; that's how it gets transmitted and wreaks havoc in hospitals.

Last edited by campione; 03-29-2020 at 03:55 PM.
campione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #7
rnln

they gave ticket to 1 surfer? It's hard to believe he was the only one in the water at the time.

Last edited by rnln; 03-30-2020 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
Timinator

Or, you could stay inside like they're telling you? You have one of the worst states in the country for Corona outbreaks. You have a hospital ship having to come and take care of your residents because the hospitals are full, so, yea, go diving, get gas, go through the drive through, etc. Now I get how Pelosi keeps getting elected.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
rnln

wear gloves to get gas then trash them right away. Go to places which there are not too many people so you still can practice distancing. For diving, we can keep distance of not only 6' but can be 10', 20' if you want to... Here, they suggested to continue to jog, walk the dog, etc to breath fresh air to help your health, just not going in a group and keep distance.

Last edited by rnln; 03-30-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
wear gloves to get gas then trash them right away. Go to places which there are not too many people so you still can practice distancing. For diving, we can keep distance of not only 6' but can be 10', 20' if you want to... Here, they suggested to continue to jog, walk the dog, etc to breath fresh air to help your health, just not going in a group and keep distance.
After the Californian bashing I was wondering if something had changed because in my area they are indeed recommending people get outside for exercise and fresh air. Not sure why it’s not OK to to so on the shoreline or in the water. I can certainly see people like me, who have to drive 6 hours to the coast, should refrain from doing so, in order to avoid using the resources of the folks who reside there, and also risk potentially transmitting the virus to their area. Don’t quite understand why people that live close by can’t use those open areas though.

Shoot, I was all set to drive the 10 minutes out to the local lake and do some trout fishing, but I could possibly get within 200 yards of another human, and I certainly wouldn’t wana help get Pelosi re-elected, so I better stay in the house...
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #11
mikelb

People make me laugh or just feel sorry for them.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:08 AM   #12
Timinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
After the Californian bashing I was wondering if something had changed because in my area they are indeed recommending people get outside for exercise and fresh air. Not sure why it’s not OK to to so on the shoreline or in the water. I can certainly see people like me, who have to drive 6 hours to the coast, should refrain from doing so, in order to avoid using the resources of the folks who reside there, and also risk potentially transmitting the virus to their area. Don’t quite understand why people that live close by can’t use those open areas though.

Shoot, I was all set to drive the 10 minutes out to the local lake and do some trout fishing, but I could possibly get within 200 yards of another human, and I certainly wouldn’t wana help get Pelosi re-elected, so I better stay in the house...

It's because, despite their initial guidelines of the virus, it's spreading further and faster. Now, instead of 6', it's 21' separation between people.

It has to do with, "hey, all the routes in are closed, doesn't anybody have another route in". Honestly, I don't care what you do or who you do it with as long as it doesn't affect me. This affects everyone, it's not slowing down it's ramping up.

And as far as California bashing, I was born and raised there, still own property there, still pay taxes there, had 3 businesses there, went to 6 years of college there. I've paid more taxes there than most people will pay in their lifetimes and I've been gone 20 years. I'm old enough to see how it's changed for the worse and how and what people are allowing that to happen, so, yea, it's needs some bashing.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
ebar

make california great again
ebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:29 PM   #14
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebar View Post
make california great again
Well, let’s start with “healthy”, then work on great.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:54 AM   #15
PigStikr
The Stalker

We should delay the CA census until after the pandemic...