Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
sharpshooter

It's that time of year again

Already, checked my hunting rifle torque specs and zero. Now waiting for a dry morning to shoot my R26 crossbow. This year going earlier 11-7 to the U.P. for the last week of bow. Then, it's rifle on 11-15 (U.P. Holiday). Heading back here 11-26. No, noise from police, fire truck, ambulance sirens. No wacko drivers on the road.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:49 PM   #2
Dbrown

Re: It's that time of year again

Good luck! Happy hunting.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
North Star
Max

Any advice on a hunting crossbow? I am thinking about getting a Ten Point Nitro XRT. Any comments?
Old 10-27-2021, 06:55 AM   #4
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star View Post
Any advice on a hunting crossbow? I am thinking about getting a Ten Point Nitro XRT. Any comments?
Both are great bows. In about the same price range. You can google: Ten Point Nitro XRT vs. Ravin R26. There are a few real nice in depth reviews. You can also go on Crossbow Nation website. That's a great website. It has a section just on specific brand bows that members talk about. For Ravin: there is Riflenut with informative videos and Big Bird with some nice accessories. I purchased his rear side crank holder and trigger extender. If you tree stand hunt or shoot from a blind with small windows. The Ravin R26 is only 26" long and easy to manuver around. I'm a little over 6' tall and have long arms. The R26 is only 9.25" uncocked and 5.75" cocked. Best is for you to go hold and shoot each one. Ravin also makes the R29 that's about the same length as the Nitro XRT. Ravin recently came out with the R500 with 500 fps. There are a few guys on CBN (crossbow nation) that have them. My hunting buddy and I both purchased our R26s from Borkholder Archery at the same time. They were running a special. Wyvern Creations is another dealer to check out. Borkholder Archery gave credit on the Ravin scope and we had Hawke Pro scopes put on, They also zeroed in the bows. My back yard only goes to a little over 50 yards. Out of the box we were drilling bulls eyes. Just be careful you don't do a Robinhood. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. You can also PM me and Ill give you my cell. If you want to talk.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 10-27-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Both are great bows. In about the same price range. You can google: Ten Point Nitro XRT vs. Ravin R26. There are a few real nice in depth reviews. You can also go on Crossbow Nation website. That's a great website. It has a section just on specific brand bows that members talk about. For Ravin: there is Riflenut with informative videos and Big Bird with some nice accessories. I purchased his rear side crank holder and trigger extender. If you tree stand hunt or shoot from a blind with small windows. The Ravin R26 is only 26" long and easy to manuver around. I'm a little over 6' tall and have long arms. The R26 is only 9.25" uncocked and 5.75" cocked. Best is for you to go hold and shoot each one. Ravin also makes the R29 that's about the same length as the Nitro XRT. Ravin recently came out with the R500 with 500 fps. There are a few guys on CBN (crossbow nation) that have them. My hunting buddy and I both purchased our R26s from Borkholder Archery at the same time. They were running a special. Wyvern Creations is another dealer to check out. Borkholder Archery gave credit on the Ravin scope and we had Hawke Pro scopes put on, They also zeroed in the bows. My back yard only goes to a little over 50 yards. Out of the box we were drilling bulls eyes. Just be careful you don't do a Robinhood. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. You can also PM me and Ill give you my cell. If you want to talk.
THANK YOU for that very helpful reply! I will check out the information and the people you mentioned. Kill a big one this year!
Old 10-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
Timinator

Was out last night here in Ohio. Saw a doe, a 6, and a decent bodied 8. Raining today, so I'll probably stay inside. I use a Scorpyd Nemesis Crossbow. Full USA made. Best customer service I've ever experienced. Don't think I'll ever buy anything else.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
SEATUX

I have no skin in this, but I am surprised that these high tech cross bows qualify as "bow Hunting" .
As soon as you introduce Any kind of trigger release it should ( or I would think it Would) push that into another catagory.
Long bow to compound bow is one jump, but STILL a bow...these high tech cross bows, ....that you cant pull back to load without a reduction geared crank...with Scopes no less...
But//Legal is Legal...
So...
Go for it.
Have fun.
Be safe.

( can you shoot an arrow with a "power head" on it?)
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #8
sharpshooter

Seatux, understand where you're coming from on "bow hunting". The long bow hunters complained when compound bows were allowed for archery season. Then, both groups complained about crossbow hunters. Compound bows do have a type of trigger release for the nock. Called a bow release. Waiting to see what happens with "air guns". The number of hunters in the last 20 years has been on the big down trend. Younger generations aren't interested in hunting. They're into other activities. Except, for last year due to Covid and people wanting to get out doors. DNR needs the $$$$. So, they opened up crossbows to people under 65 years old or have some type of physical disability. Also, as bow hunters age. They have a hard time drawing back a bow. This way they can still archery hunt using a hand crank or a cocking rope. Otherwise, they're done archery hunting. Some states, I believe have a traditional bow hunt first. Followed by crossbow and or rifle. I'm in my late 60's now. Look physically in my mid 50's. My spear gun bands are now a "little" longer than a few years ago. Same thing in the gym. Down sizing on the weights. Just a fact of life. Might be able to shoot a crossbow bolt (arrow) with a .22 cal. power head. Would depend on the total weight of the bolt and power of the crossbow.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 10-28-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #9
SEATUX

sharpshooter, I get it.
Where do you draw the line?
First season for long bows, then compound bows, then crossbows, then shotguns shooting slugs, then high powered rifles with scopes....
...and we haven't even touched on air guns...
Old 10-28-2021, 05:42 PM   #10
sharpshooter

Don't forget muzzle loading season. Old school ram rod muzzle loading. Then, the new ones with sabot slugs and contained powder cartridges that can now reach accurately to 200 yards. Have a good evening.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #11
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Don't forget muzzle loading season. Old school ram rod muzzle loading. Then, the new ones with sabot slugs and contained powder cartridges that can now reach accurately to 200 yards. Have a good evening.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:39 PM   #12
OBLIGATED

This guy goes through my yard.He has around 8 Does.Not a U.P. Buck but in a couple years he will be handsome.
My youngest has bought a Mathews compound bow and is shooting 50-60 yards inside 4inches.Georgia allows 10 Does and two Bucks.He has a Marlin 45-70 he keeps in the blind for long shots or Bear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nextdoordeer.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	247422  
Old 10-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #13
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I have no skin in this, but I am surprised that these high tech cross bows qualify as "bow Hunting" .
As soon as you introduce Any kind of trigger release it should ( or I would think it Would) push that into another catagory.
Long bow to compound bow is one jump, but STILL a bow...these high tech cross bows, ....that you cant pull back to load without a reduction geared crank...with Scopes no less...
But//Legal is Legal...
So...
Go for it.
Have fun.
Be safe.

( can you shoot an arrow with a "power head" on it?)
Florida had a separate season for crossbow unless you are disabled.Georgia has so many deer they allow crossbow during archery and you can take Does during gun season with the bow even if its not a Doe day.
When we moved up here my 15 yr old son was up three Does with MY bow before I got one.I get home from work and he was waiting to rub it in.Shooting out of a window on the second story isnt really hunting but it did satisfy their Jerky addiction.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:47 AM   #14
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
This guy goes through my yard.He has around 8 Does.Not a U.P. Buck but in a couple years he will be handsome.
My youngest has bought a Mathews compound bow and is shooting 50-60 yards inside 4inches.Georgia allows 10 Does and two Bucks.He has a Marlin 45-70 he keeps in the blind for long shots or Bear.
Very healthy looking buck with a nice rack . Good food,water,shelter and no stress will help that buck really grow. Hopefully, he makes it thru the season. Looking forward to next years pics.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:00 AM   #15
North Star
Max

After reading the reviews of the Ten Point and the Ravin R26, I wound up getting the Ten Point Nitro XRT. I really appreciated the pointers you gave me. Ordered a target and some accessories from Wyvern Creations. Thanks again for the help!