Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #31
Sierra Bravo
I drive boats

Re: Csum

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaptainq View Post
Cool. Are you majoring in Marine Trans?
yes. its a pretty easy curriculum, just don't plan on being here less than four years.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #32
Freedive4life
Living the life

Just to give you an idea. A good family friend just got off a ship a week ago. He works the engines, and is 2nd mate. He did a 110 day tour, guam to china, and back and forth about 3 times or so. He said of those 110 days, he worked 5. The ship is fairly new, about 5 years old, but still. He walked off with more than 85K+ in his pocket and is home for 8 months.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:57 AM   #33
elcaptainq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedive4life View Post
Just to give you an idea. A good family friend just got off a ship a week ago. He works the engines, and is 2nd mate. He did a 110 day tour, guam to china, and back and forth about 3 times or so. He said of those 110 days, he worked 5. The ship is fairly new, about 5 years old, but still. He walked off with more than 85K+ in his pocket and is home for 8 months.
Was he an engineering major?
elcaptainq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #34
broncobilly

Quote:
That is the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to write that up. If you don't mind me asking what do you do on the boat? And what other careers have friends of yours gotten into that went there?
I'm glad i can help.
on board the tug i work as 2nd mate and navigate on my watch. i also do the safety inspections that SB was talking about as well as chart and publication corrections. 12 hour work days everyday for 56 days, but when u've got no where to go 12 hours of work is easy.
as for my friends that didn't go to sea that came out with a marine trans or engineering major... they're working either at ship yards like nasco or at power plants. Some places like hospitals and college campuses hire engineers to maintain thier plants (not the green ones that grow) and I know of one guy, who's about 35 now, that graduated CMA with a marine trans major that went to sea for two years, then went to work marine insurance and moved around a bit before he settled. now he's VP of a ship yard in SD making big $.
Right now, a lot of us are still young and able to work at sea with out having to concern ourselves with wife and kids. but i know that i'll be looking for shore side work when kiddy's come along.
broncobilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #35
Sierra Bravo
I drive boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedive4life View Post
He must be working for MSC, which is both good and bad.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #36
elcaptainq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Bravo View Post
Do you have a lot of time to dive up there?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #37
tom harding
idiot

don't automatically write-off military service. if i could re-do things, i'd probably take my old man's advice and go for the coast guard service he encouraged me to try out for.

p.s. --- o'cino's no dummy --- got himself a decent enough work ethic after his military days to secure a career good enough that he's retired now.

think about it.
tom harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #38
broncobilly

Quote:
weekend warrior ab divers!! awesome surfing too. ocean beach, SF
Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 AM   #39
Sierra Bravo
I drive boats

Quote:
more or less. I land hunt a lot and play water polo so I put little effort into diving during the fall/winter. In the spring I dive fairly often. Monterey has geat diving and isn't too bad of a drive. I go up the coast too, but conditions are less predictable so Monterey is usually the best bet.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #40
de los muertos
No head like steelhead

If your a bit lazy go engineering because jobs will fall in your lap and the extra bit of work in school really pays off in the long run. I really didn't put the slightest bit of effort in and graduated with a 3.0 as a deck type.
de los muertos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #41
elcaptainq

Quote:
Originally Posted by de los muertos View Post
If your a bit lazy go engineering because jobs will fall in your lap and the extra bit of work in school really pays off in the long run. I really didn't put the slightest bit of effort in and graduated with a 3.0 as a deck type.
What are the typical jobs coming out for someone who majored in maritime engineering?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 AM   #42
de los muertos
No head like steelhead

Monitoring and maintaining power plants. That means you are an electrician, plumber, diesel mechanic, steam engineer dealing with boilers, turbines, valves and lots of pipes, all aboard a ship, tug boat, oil rig or ashore.
de los muertos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #43
broncobilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by de los muertos View Post
Monitoring and maintaining power plants. That means you are an electrician, plumber, diesel mechanic, steam engineer dealing with boilers, turbines, valves and lots of pipes, all aboard a ship, tug boat, oil rig or ashore.
muertos hit it right on the spot.
btw, what year are ya muertos?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #44
Postmortem
Eric

Dont let people discourage you from dreaming big. Now that you realize what you need to do, get your rear in gear and do work. A "C" shouldnt count as a good grade. Solid B's and better should be your standard. Put your head down and get busy, before you know it you'll be done with what you need ready to move on to bigger and better things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bodj View Post
yeah im definitely not going to have 60 units by the end of next semester. im gonna need another year i think. stupid kinesiology
How many f'n times did I tell you................. youre gonna be livin with mom til your 40! wait..i wish i could move back home hah.
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #45
Freedive4life
Living the life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Bravo View Post
He was on a job for Horizon. He said he doesn't like the company, but he likes the pay and new ships.