Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Wetsuit: Hecs vs eliossub v polosub

Hey y'all,

I'm in the market for a new 3mm (my older 3mm is more like a 1.5-2mm now from all the deeper dives) and looking to get one of these three options. I also have a 5mm, 1.5mm and a 2mm wetsuit (but the 3mm is by the far the one I use the most).

Wanted to hear from those who have had experience with these.

The hecs will be a regular/standard sized one (green camo), compared to a custom made elios or polosub. Price wise, the latter two are even cheaper than the "standard size" hecs ( $599 with the hecs + ~$30 shipping) compared to around 350-450$ (including shipping for a custom made wetsuit from Europe. The elios seems to have smoothskin with Yamamoto 45 and gold-coated inner lining, with smooth skin (outside) which seems like a nice option (though very fragile). They also have several other models with outside lining and different rubber material (sheico, heiwa, Yamamoto 39 or 45).

My diving ranges from anywhere from 40ft to 120-140ft, and a 3mm wetsuit will be worn around 20-30x season before switching to a thinner or thicker one. Variable conditions (from wrecks and murky viz, ledges, to open deep blue water).

Any thoughts ?

Regards
Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Polespearo
Waterman

Re: Wetsuit: Hecs vs eliossub v polosub

I was in a situation similar to you between Hecs, Elios or another Mako in my case. Hecs really drew my attention but at the end $$$ was too much for my budget, i ended up getting eliot smooth outside and FRAGILE is an understatement, i have come to understand that it is what it is and i will be doing minor repairs for the duration of its life. What you get on the other side is the best fitting warmest softest comfiest suit ever. If i had to do it again, i would still go Elios but non smooth out, the smooth out is great when you move from spot to spot, but if its a 3mm then it must not be THAT COLD so if it was a 5mm maybe.

If you have the $$$ try the heccs and let us know what you think, otherwise You get another vote for elios The mako i had was really good, but i was looking for a high end replacement, so it wouldnt be fair or apples to apples to put it in the comparison, just my reference as to what i had. (i also had a rifle digitek and couple other suits)
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've a mako 3mm and I love it! Quite durable and can take a beating, but the only thing is that the size isn't really for my body type. I also have a yazbeck, beuchat, Rob Allen and love them. Each have their plus/minus....
as you say, one can't compare apples to oranges (between a mako vs a custom made wetsuit from Europe)...

I may go with the hecs, although for a custom size, it's quite of an investment! Will see what other folks have to say here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
mishu1984

bobby, i have a 3mm yazbeck with titanium liner and i love it. you can be rough with the suit and it wont be a problem.
the only thing i would say is that if your primary need is a spearfishing wetsuit, maybe the benefits of a smoothskin wetsuit do not outweight the cons. Imagine wrestling a speared grouper (brings back memories) out of a hole. will a smoothskin hold up?

honestly, i would go with HECS..
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

getaway, does the eliousub have a nylon or lycra layer sandwiched in the middle?

Straight up smoothskin outside / open cell inside (especially the soft yam 45) will tear just by looking at it wrong. I mean you can't even sit on the side of a boat without tearing it. Id only recommend them for freediving competition.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApneaAndrew View Post
getaway, does the eliousub have a nylon or lycra layer sandwiched in the middle?

Straight up smoothskin outside / open cell inside (especially the soft yam 45) will tear just by looking at it wrong. I mean you can't even sit on the side of a boat without tearing it. Id only recommend them for freediving competition.

Hi Andrew,
It seems to be plain Yamamoto 45 rubber with smoothskin outside. Agree, won't last much with my type of diving (banging against wrecks, hauling groupers, etc....).

Btw loving the bleutec fins sent me not too far ago.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Mookieo2

What about the HI heat suits? I think they're around $250 for a custom 3mm suit. I was thinking about getting one. A shop by me has them in stock and they look pretty good.

http://hiheatwetsuits.com
Mookieo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Timinator

I have a custom Elios 3mm and 5mm. I didn't go for the ultra smooth skin that needs lotion to put on and off. I went with the nylonish outer layer for more durability and, so far, I'm really happy with both of them. Very, very easy to put on and off and the outside of the suit is much less rigid than normal wet-suits. I had a Henderson suit that lasted 20 years and it was very stiff and durable, these are 10x more pliable, softer and, custom! I would buy both suits again without hesitation.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:13 PM   #9
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

I bought my wife a custom Polosub and she absolutely loves it. It is the 5.5mm, with the nylon lined outside, and Lycra sandwiched in the middle. Top quality suits, made by a great company!

Old 05-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
Onefasteuro

Go custom and never look back... nothing fits like it. Both Elios and Polo sub are quality suits don't let the hecs marketing make you waste your $.

Stay away from Smooth Skin / Open cell unless you are planning on competition or pure depth. anything else will destroy it, unless it's the Heiwa SK, that one is pretty nice.

Cheers
FII Freediving Course/Trips Schedule
Facebook @DriftFreediving
Instagram @drift_freediving
Onefasteuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
sacha58

A Polosub " Forza 3 " with sandwiched nylon, looks like the perfect choice....

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
Marco

This is an old thread, but it seems that everyone thinks that a custom wetsuit must be softskin, which is not.

As Alessandro said, Plosub has a "sandwich" neoprene that combines the best of both worlds, not speaking about the sick camo jobs they do. I've owned three Elios and can say that they were the best wetsuits I've ever had. And my first one was open cell inside/ nylon outside. Then I got a green softskin pelagic camo and the third one was a "sandwich" bentonic camo softskin.
For deep diving, I recommend to get a Heiwa MD over a Yamamoto. It will last longer.

I don't buy HECKS hype. But that's me...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #13
getawayFK
Spearo-doc

Thanks for the insight and great advice !