Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2022, 10:47 AM   #91
svivian
Registered User
 
svivian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 92
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Ahh i see not on their website yet. thank you
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:42 AM   #92
Mikel_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bilbao (Spain)
Posts: 438
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
noice!!
and built to fit the Ermes handle
hopefully bit cheaper than the Scoriatechs!

The Soriatec Fenix cuttle tubes are not hollow... how is are the Ermes Avatars? This makes a lot of difference.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:00 AM   #93
Marco
Registered User
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Miami, Florida
Age: 57
Posts: 2,848
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Ermes is foam filled
__________________
Marco

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 05:17 AM   #94
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,274
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Ermes is foam filled
I am pretty sure the Ermessub tubes are not foam filled. They can be used with O ring or the new silicone caps to prevent water. The silicone caps are put in with silicone adhesive. According to Mario for the aluminium tubes the O rings are enough ... but I would want to cap the inside and not depend on O rings.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #95
Marco
Registered User
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Miami, Florida
Age: 57
Posts: 2,848
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I am pretty sure the Ermessub tubes are not foam filled. They can be used with O ring or the new silicone caps to prevent water. The silicone caps are put in with silicone adhesive. According to Mario for the aluminium tubes the O rings are enough ... but I would want to cap the inside and not depend on O rings.
Well, I had one cuttlefish carbon in my hands and I am totally sure that it was foam filled.

Alluminum tubes are hollow. I assembled one myself (inverter). I didn't put any caps, but a good amount of marine silicone sealant in the o'rings area of the handle and the muzzle. We have used it three times so far without any issues.

Here it is: https://www.instagram.com/p/CjjKETdry0e/

And here in action:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClEiB..._web_copy_link
__________________
Marco

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #96
popgun pete
Registered User
 
popgun pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,998
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

O rings are not foolproof, I have pulled alloy tube guns apart where the barrel had rotted out because seawater got past the O ring when the gun had been taken deep and the owner never noticed until the gun began to slosh and feel heavier. Carbon barrels will not corrode, but you dont want water getting in. Depending on how easy it is to pull the ends off the gun you could always replace the seals, but this may loosen up the tight fit. There are expanding plug systems, but these need anchoring or increased pressure will send the plugs down the barrel. Foam works well, but needs to be of the right type and adds some weight to the gun.
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:43 AM   #97
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,274
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Well, I had one cuttlefish carbon in my hands and I am totally sure that it was foam filled.

Alluminum tubes are hollow. I assembled one myself (inverter). I didn't put any caps, but a good amount of marine silicone sealant in the o'rings area of the handle and the muzzle. We have used it three times so far without any issues.

Here it is: https://www.instagram.com/p/CjjKETdry0e/

And here in action:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClEiB..._web_copy_link
Actually adding foam was one of the things I had adviced to add but Mario was not onboard. I did personally ask him if he decided to put foam in the tubes and he said he still had not. It is possible that the person you bought the tubes from did it as an additional feature after he got his tubes. Either way I think it is an advantage to have foam as this way you never have to worry about water infiltration. It does add a little weight to a gun balance but is well worth it.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #98
Marco
Registered User
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Miami, Florida
Age: 57
Posts: 2,848
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Foam will always absorb water when it is under pressure. It is better to seal the edges no matter what.
The foam filled carbon barrell I had in my hands was Mario's personal speargun. I met him about a month ago and he showed me his new products personally .
__________________
Marco

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:42 PM   #99
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor
 
MAKO Spearguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,438
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Hey Guys,

In cooperation with Ermes Sub, this Avatar handle is included on all of my new MAKO SPARTAN ELITE SPEARGUNS.

Additionally, the handles, private labeled for MAKO, are available for purchase separately for $92.95 each.
Price includes the patented Ermes Sub double roller trigger mech.

I tested this gun about a year ago while diving in The Dominican Republic with Mario (owner of Ermes Sub), and these handles are just plain awesome!
Mario nailed it with this handle. I also think Spear Q8 is being quite modest, because a lot of his designs and ideas went into this handle.

I currently have the aluminum barrels in stock and offer an optional barrel float for added buoyancy for roller guns.

In about 4 weeks, I will have some bitchin cuttlefish carbon barrels with both open muzzles and roller muzzles.
I tested these extensively and they are perfectly balanced. Pics currently on my website.

I also have the reels and camera brackets in stock and they should be on my website in a couple days.

If you have any questions, give us a call.

Thanks, guys for taking time to read this.

And, thanks Spear Q8 and Mario for a bitchin handle!

Dive Safe
dano










Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.png
Views:	221
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	248694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	248695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	248696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture4.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	248697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture6.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	248698  

__________________


http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns



HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:45 AM   #100
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,274
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Foam will always absorb water when it is under pressure. It is better to seal the edges no matter what.
The foam filled carbon barrell I had in my hands was Mario's personal speargun. I met him about a month ago and he showed me his new products personally .

I am pretty sure that the production carbon barrels are not foam filled and yours might be customized and not what others would get if they order one. At least that is what Mario has told me. If the foam is absorbing water then the correct foam was not used. If you have to seal the ends to prevent water infiltrating the foam, then the foam is just extra weight. This was one of the issues discussed with regards to foaming the inside of the barrel ... which type of foam is best for submersing into at least 30m of water. Different types of foam have different densities ... which causes different flotation characteristics. You can't just add any "foam" from the hardware store and expect it to work properly for submersing deep under water. The ideal situation would be to use the higher density foam designed for submersing under water and still have good balance with an 8mm shaft. If it floats too much with a lighter shaft then you just add lead to the muzzle.

Another way to seal barrels which works quite well for me is to get a sheet of say 1" XPS construction styroboard and put it on the ground and press the end of the barrel into it. Of course first you put some flexible silicone adhesive sealant. Every time you press the barrel into the foam it will cutout a perfect plug which you push in. You can do it several times and each time you put a layer of flexible silicone sealant in between. Obviously with a cuttle shape tube you would have to make sure you don't pass the straight tube part. This is much lighter than a rubber end plug and for me seems to work quite well and is especially useful if you are having problems balancing a pipe gun using thicker shafts and want the maximum possible buoyancy.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:46 AM   #101
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,274
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO Spearguns View Post
Hey Guys,

In cooperation with Ermes Sub, this Avatar handle is included on all of my new MAKO SPARTAN ELITE SPEARGUNS.

Additionally, the handles, private labeled for MAKO, are available for purchase separately for $92.95 each.
Price includes the patented Ermes Sub double roller trigger mech.

I tested this gun about a year ago while diving in The Dominican Republic with Mario (owner of Ermes Sub), and these handles are just plain awesome!
Mario nailed it with this handle. I also think Spear Q8 is being quite modest, because a lot of his designs and ideas went into this handle.

I currently have the aluminum barrels in stock and offer an optional barrel float for added buoyancy for roller guns.

In about 4 weeks, I will have some bitchin cuttlefish carbon barrels with both open muzzles and roller muzzles.
I tested these extensively and they are perfectly balanced. Pics currently on my website.

I also have the reels and camera brackets in stock and they should be on my website in a couple days.

If you have any questions, give us a call.

Thanks, guys for taking time to read this.

And, thanks Spear Q8 and Mario for a bitchin handle!

Dive Safe
dano











Hey Dano good to see you are providing these. Really making life easier for the average spearo out there who doesn't have the time or equipment for a DIY hack!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:05 PM   #102
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor
 
MAKO Spearguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,438
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Hey Majd,

Thanks, Man. Yeah, super stoked and super grateful for you and Mario. With my current Titan Elites and these new Spartan Elites, I have a totally stacked division.

Regarding my carbon barrels, mine are not foam filled.

The problem with the foam, as you mentioned, is that the required density needed to withstand the pressure at depth
will be such that it will increase the weight of the barrel and throw off the balance. Right now, the gun is perfectly balanced.

So, instead of foam, I have my own water stopper plugs that I install. I use 3M 5200 to keep the plugs from migrating while under pressure.
We did some earlier depth testing and without the 5200, the water did not penetrate past the water stoppers, but the pressure at depth pushed the water stoppers inward.


thanks
dano
__________________


http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns



HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:27 PM   #103
cro3
Registered User
 
cro3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 33
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Any idea if or when the lefty version will be available?
cro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:39 PM   #104
Marco
Registered User
 
Marco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Miami, Florida
Age: 57
Posts: 2,848
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

If I'm not wrong. They are already available. However, the thumb rest is removable and you get a universal handle.
__________________
Marco

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:55 PM   #105
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor
 
MAKO Spearguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,438
Re: Ermes Avatar speargun handle

Hey Marco,

You are correct. They are available now. As you pointed out, it is simply a support that can be installed or removed.

I think they would be helpful on long guns. But I would not choose to put one on my short guns that I use when hunting in holes.
Depending on the conditions, such as current, structure, light, direction of approach, etc,

I often have to shoot with my opposite hand. So, for my short guns, I wouldn't use it.

Hey Croc3, I will have some in a few days.

thanks,
dano
__________________


http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns



HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com