Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
CDMdeepbreather

Need Help - Best Goggles for Sun/Eye Protection?

Hi All,

I've been having a bit of an issue with sun/reflection induced eye irritation after dives recently. The goggles I currently have are basically entirely clear (the plastic frame is clear in addition to the lense). I've noticed when diving with the sun behind me I get a glare on the inside of the goggle lense from the sun penetrating through the clear plastic frame from the sides/top. Needless to say it hinders my ability to stay in the water for more than a few hours at a time and I deal with a headache/eye ache/bloodshot eyes the rest of the day.

I want to invest in a high quality pair of goggles that will prevent this. Preferably a pair with reflective lenses so that fish can't see my eyes.

Side note: I have exaggerated facial features (no fat on my face, deep eye sockets, big nose, big cheeks)...not sure if certain mask brands cater to certain facial profiles or not.

Input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt
CDMdeepbreather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
seal
South of Pt. Conception

Re: Need Help - Best Goggles for Sun/Eye Protection?

If you are in fact using goggles, switch to a mask.

Second, if you are a noobie and call a mask "goggles," you should invest in a mask with a black skirt. It hides your eye movements from fish (believe me, it matters. especially when you predominately polespear like me). It also prevents sun from getting into your mask, but I've never encountered the problem...then again I've only dove with black, low volume masks.

No one can tell you what mask will fit you. It would be like asking what is the best brand of running shoe for a fairly narrow, well-defined foot. The only way to find a mask is to try them on....like at Sturgill Spearfishing's shop (local for you), or Freedive N Spear in Hermosa Beach. Your "Target mask" is not a performance freediving mask, and will affect your performance when you progress a bit more.

Lastly, if your eyes hurt, it may be your equalization technique (or lack there of maybe) that is affecting them.

Sorry for any negativity construed in my response. That's just how I come off. Just trying to help, and asking was the right step.
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Any mask with black silicone would mitigate the situation. If you want a mask with reflective lenses then Riffe has one.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
surf_dude

not sure if you used anit-fog in your lenses.... but if ya do make sure to rinse that out well... cause sometimes it can totally irritate your eyes
surf_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
riff
><>

I personally like these
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
CDMdeepbreather

Seal - I should have been more clear...my current dive mask is made almost entirely of clear materials. Im pretty sure the irritation is not from equalizing improperly...having spent much of my life around the ocean I'm not new to eye-sun burns, and am sure that this is what im feeling after my daytime dives.

Cyprus_spearo - thanks for the input, have not seen the Riffes you are referring to, but believe I have found the pair I want...they're called Seadive Ray Blockers and run about $130, have a UV protective lense and all black frame/skirt.

surf_dude - I do use anti-fog, but dont think that's my issue as I always thoroughly wash it out before putting the mask on, and just the fact that the irritation feels so identical to previous eye sunburns ive got while surfing/fishing.

During my trip to the dive shop I also came across about $1,000 of other gear that I "need" haha. Similar to what happens whenever I go into an REI.
CDMdeepbreather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
NihilisticMisanthropist
Pass me the lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMdeepbreather View Post
Seal - I should have been more clear...my current dive mask is made almost entirely of clear materials. Im pretty sure the irritation is not from equalizing improperly...having spent much of my life around the ocean I'm not new to eye-sun burns, and am sure that this is what im feeling after my daytime dives.

Cyprus_spearo - thanks for the input, have not seen the Riffes you are referring to, but believe I have found the pair I want...they're called Seadive Ray Blockers and run about $130, have a UV protective lense and all black frame/skirt.

surf_dude - I do use anti-fog, but dont think that's my issue as I always thoroughly wash it out before putting the mask on, and just the fact that the irritation feels so identical to previous eye sunburns ive got while surfing/fishing.

During my trip to the dive shop I also came across about $1,000 of other gear that I "need" haha. Similar to what happens whenever I go into an REI.

which dive shop did you go to?

if you didnt go to J and J on shelter island, you at the wrong shop

i personally like a black skirted mask with amber lenses. i use a JBL and its slightly mirrored and performs well in every color of water i have encountered. i switched over from a riffe mantis in amber which was great too, but the jbl hugs my face tighter, costs less, and seems to be made out of better materials. (the skirt on my mantis cracked after a year of use)
Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
ocspearfishur84

Pm sent
ocspearfishur84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
NihilisticMisanthropist
Pass me the lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_dude View Post
not sure if you used anit-fog in your lenses.... but if ya do make sure to rinse that out well... cause sometimes it can totally irritate your eyes
Josh likes Arabian Sand Goggles