Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

View Poll Results: How long can you hold your breath?
< 2 minutes 74 24.83%
2-3 minutes 81 27.18%
3-5 minutes 100 33.56%
5-7 minutes 39 13.09%
> 7 minutes 4 1.34%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Wallybanger
Carp Blaster

How long can you hold your breath?

I just got into freediving/spearfishing last year and I can hold my breath for about 1:45, static. I'm just kinda wondering where people are for the most part. I really want to get deeper into this sport and I would be just tickled it I could do 4min holds and 60' dives. Everything above that would be incredible.

What is the best way to increase dive times? My buddy says not to worry about it and just get out and dive but I would really like to hear about tips and tricks. I would like to do a PFI course and may try to do it next summer.
Wallybanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Mendoman

Re: How long can you hold your breath?

I don't think there are any tricks. There may be methods, but, you still need experience to put methods to practice. So take the course, learn the methods and put them to practice with lots of dive time.

This is my first year diving. I got out several dozen times this year. I have yet to worry about my down time or depth. I think a lot of it is just the body learning how to be more efficient at a new task. Put your body through the motions enough times and it will learn to perform for you.
Mendoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
dparache

Just the pfi n u will be fine.....
dparache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
woodshooter

FII & PFI
are good courses to take. you can get deeper and longer breath holds if you just keep at diving. this is like running or any other activity, the more you do it the better you get at it. without the courses the best advice i can give you is to always dive with a buddy, relax, and get a freedive watch. last one is optional, but i like to be able to track myself.
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
byronq
Its better down there!

An inexpensive first step would be to read Umberto Pelizzari's "Manual of Freediving". Also do a search here for 02/C02 tolerance tables; exercises to help out. And of course, the FII or PFI courses.

Read the book, train on the tolerance tables during the winter, and you'll be the tops in your FII/PFI class next year!

Team IDGAF

www.kaispage.com
byronq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
DivnSurf

I took the PFI class last December in Kona HI. The greatest thing for me, that I had NEVER experienced before, was the ability to really push my limits with the comforting knowledge that if something went wrong, my wife and kids wouldn't be going to my funeral...

I would highly advise taking the PFI class, but not so much for the fact that it allows you to check your limits safely...Main reason, especially since you're new to freediving, is for SAFETY. The class prepares you to be able to dive deeper/longer (if you so choose to or need to), but within a framework of safety.

My two cents: Take your time. Get comfortable diving in different conditions. Start at depths and in conditions you're comfortable with and gradually work your way up. Don't worry about time and depth. Ask questions of those who've been doing it a long time and humbly listen to what they are willing to share with you...
DivnSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Wallybanger
Carp Blaster

thanks for the replies guys. there is a PFI course in Vancouver in April and I think my buddy and I are going to take it. As soon as I get some cash I'm going to reserve my spot

I'm also going to grab a suunto watch as soon as I cook up $400... ugh
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
acardet

The PFI course is worth every penny.When we took the course I was amazed that I did 5:20 static,my brother and my girlfriend both did over 4min,but static times don't translate into depth.
The best thing was the safety aspect and being surrounded by better freedivers.
Have fun and be safe,
Fred Cardet
acardet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
T.Scott

Seems like I read in a freedive book that 90 seconds should be the limit to avoid SWB.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
beconfly
Danger to self

General rules can often times be way too general. 90 seconds is a pretty long time, and could easily lead to a blackout in many conditions for most people. Range of time to SWB can vary hugely depending on A) a persons physical conditioning, B) how well he prepared for the dive and C) how much he exerted themself during the dive, D) how deep he dove, E) other factors. I have done over a five minute static, but if i try to cruise along the bottom of a 40 ft area for over 60 seconds, there is a real good chance i'm going to samba or BO upon surfacing. I think its far more important to learn to read symptoms of hypoxia (best done in a FII or PFI course), than it is to go by number guidelines.
beconfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:17 AM   #11
Wallybanger
Carp Blaster

Doesn't look like FII teaches in Canada, let alone Vancouver.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
1shot2kills
Full time 'Cuda abuser!!

Deeperblue.com
1shot2kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:50 AM   #13
blueh2oboy
Professional Snorkeller

http://www.spearblog.com/2010/10/04/off-month-training/
As short as possible. The shallower I can dive the happier I am and the more fish you can get. Because you aren't wasting all your time going up and down.
That being said I can't hold my breath out of the water for anything. Maybe 3:00 if I really try but I can't get into it. In the water I've done dives over 2 minutes but more important than diving for me is recovery time and that equates into being in good diving shape. To be able to dive 1 minute down and one minute up all day long will put you lightyears ahead of anyone you dive with. Work on getting in shape not depth, Spearfishing and Freediving and the combination of the two are different sports with the same basic principles.

www.Spearblog.com Stories, videos, how-to, pictures, and all out spearfishing lies from Cameron Kirkconnell

Team Riffe
SaltLife

www.youtube.com/user/cameronkirkconnell
blueh2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh2oboy View Post
http://www.spearblog.com/2010/10/04/off-month-training/
As short as possible. The shallower I can dive the happier I am and the more fish you can get. Because you aren't wasting all your time going up and down.
That being said I can't hold my breath out of the water for anything. Maybe 3:00 if I really try but I can't get into it. In the water I've done dives over 2 minutes but more important than diving for me is recovery time and that equates into being in good diving shape. To be able to dive 1 minute down and one minute up all day long will put you lightyears ahead of anyone you dive with. Work on getting in shape not depth, Spearfishing and Freediving and the combination of the two are different sports with the same basic principles.
So you recommend that we strive to spend an equal time on the surface as underwater?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Samik
Nature Laughs Last

i tend to do a 2:1 surface:dive intervals. but then again most of my dives are 1:30-1:40 and in 50-80'. the fishing on the BC coast gets dramatically better the deeper you can dive. sure there is a lot of wasted time going up and down, but if that's where the fish are....

Wally, been telling you for a long time now, don't over think it, just get out and dive. you're new to the sport, the best way you can develop as a diver at this point is experience. dive dive dive.

as was said before, fitness will play a major factor in your enjoyment of this sport. for me, staying in shape is the biggest bonus to spearfishing. if I didn't care about fitness I would eat twinkies & drink beer all day and hunt on scuba (flame on!)

and Waldo - wait until spring before you shell out for a dive comp. if things go to plan I'll have my D3 for sale by then.