Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
FOWLER267

Re: Military uniforms look trashy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Notice that a lot of stuff worn by Patraeus is for everyone who served against terrorism after 9/11, everyone who served in support of UN operations, etc. Its nice to have something to recognize your service if you didn't happen to get any individual awards, but I'm not so sure that someone with individual awards should have to wear all that junk accumulated over a long career.
I guess it's all personal opinion. We only wore dress greens a few times a year so you kept everything on. But I dont' think anyone got mad if you left stuff off.

Dress Blues were worn maybe twice a year as well.

One thing that I really liked about the Army was that we could wear Camo anywhere. You could go from the office to the motor pool to the barbershop and the grocery store off post all in the same uniform wether that be BDUs or even a Nomex flight/tanker suit.

But we always had to do the stupid inside out sleeve rolling thingy? That was a pain because they would always slip down or be blood cutting off tight.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #17
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOWLER267 View Post

One thing that I really liked about the Army was that we could wear Camo anywhere. You could go from the office to the motor pool to the barbershop and the grocery store off post all in the same uniform wether that be BDUs or even a Nomex flight/tanker suit.
That was very foreign in the Marine Corps in my time. I could wear my flight suit in the squadron area, but if I wanted to go to the PX, barber shop, or anywhere else, I had to put on my service uniform. And there was no way I could leave the base in my utilities (I think you call that BDUs?) or flight suit.

I've lost track since I retired, but I'm vaguely aware that there have been times since then that Marines could wear utilities off base on the way home and maybe get out of the car at a gas station.

And now when I go to the PX, I see Marines in utilities and flight suits. I don't bat an eye now, but it took me a long time to get used to it.

You know how it is with us conservatives.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #18
Smudge
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'o Cino View Post

Off thread sort of, but the blue camo BDUs for the Navy looks silly at best. Where the heck are they trying to blend in?
The F if I know!! Now I really don't want to fall overboard!!!! We work on GREY ships! Why not GREY BDU's!!!!???? Stupid, stupid uniform!!

Only four more years....Only four more years...Only four more years...Only four more years...Only four more years...Only four more years...Only four more years...

I just gotta keep saying it....
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #19
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

reminds me of the time I was eating chow at DFAC in Iraq. 2 black Army guys sat at my table loud as hell and BOTH of them had thier whole front top and bottom row of teeth covered with GOLD. I asked him if they were authorized that and he stated: "YEAH DAWG THAT'S HOW WE NIGGA'S ROLL IN THE ARMY" I burst up laughing and just had to leave the table. The lowering of Army standards is hurting them right now, still trying to get rid off those felons!!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Aaron Proffitt+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
The F if I know!! Now I really don't want to fall overboard!!!! We work on GREY ships! Why not GREY BDU's!!!!???? Stupid, stupid uniform!!

Only four more years....Only four more years...Only four more years...Only four more years...Only four more years...Only four more years...Only four more years...

I just gotta keep saying it....
Me and another guy have been talking about this....I like the configuration and the wash & wear, hate the pattern.

I wish we'd kept the old woodland pattern, but reconfigured it .
Aaron Proffitt+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #21
BreathlessSight

Quote:
I was watching General Petraeus interviewed by Charlie Rose last night, and he reminded me of a pet peeve about Generals in general, and Army Generals in particular.

Above his left breast pocket he had 10 rows of ribbons and then some metal insignia above the ribbons. Above his right breast pocket he had one row of ribbons with a couple of metal things above that. Below his pockets on both sides, he had some other metal stuff, but the camera wasn't pointed low enough to get the full picture.

I'm wondering how that looks to you civilians, or for that matter to you current or ex military. For me, its just too much stuff. An awful lot of those ribbons are for just being somewhere, and don't really mean he was a hero. It turns a nice looking uniform into a clown suit. And I have no idea what all those shiny metal things mean since they seem to be specific to the Army, but couldn't he just pick the important ones?

And with the ribbons, how about just wearing maybe three rows of the most important things?

I'll never forget when was a Lt. in Hawaii and had just returned from jump school. I was very proud to be wearing my shiny new jump wings. Then I went to some conference and was introduced to a Marine Captain. I noticed him eyeballing my wings, and I noticed he was wearing a single ribbon on his chest. When I focused on it, I saw that it was the Medal of Honor. I suspect he rated lots of other ribbons, but he didn't need to wear them. One was enough.

Marines are just as bad as Army in wearing all those ribbons, but at least we were restrained with the metal stuff. I rated three breast devices- Naval Aviator wings, Navy Marine Corps Parachutist Badge, and the Navy Diver Insignia, but I was only allowed to wear two at a time. Since my line of work was really being a pilot, I wore the aviator wings and then alternated between the jump wings and the dive thing as the spirit moved me.

Well, actually, I think there was one exception. When I was the Division Air Officer on Okinawa and was going out to visit the Regiments one day, I wore the jump wings and the diver thing just to screw with the minds of the grunts and make them wonder if I was a Rickie Recon type.

So anyway, what do you think? Is it just me, or is all that stuff on a uniform a bit ostentatious?
There are rules and regs set. I know for us its wear all or none. If the man earned them he should be allowed to wear them. If he got one for just being some where then so be it cuz Im sure there is someone out there that hasnt been there. I think the old dusty plain uniforms with there crooked cloth insignias, sideways hats, dull boots, long hair and ginasorous name tapes looked trashy to me. When I look at someone in uniform I could care less if he is wearing a Scarlet Red, Pewter Grey, Maroon, Sage, Green, Tan or Black Beret. I dont care if he is wearing the Angel of Mercy, First There, Tirdent and pistol or the w/e. Or the amount of ribbons. All I care about is that they are wearing that uniform and wearing it with pride.
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #22
Poseidum
Deep, Dark, and Murky

I've been out 10 years, but my bro is a MC MSGT. He says most guys are all about understatement with the ribbons these days - the minimum is what is unofficially encouraged.

I'm with you Bill - Clown suit.
Poseidum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #23
BenSpearing

Yes, the ribbon thing has got outta hand. My main pet peeve about them has always been, you don't get a ribbon when you deserve one and then you get one when you haven't done anything. The Good Conduct Medal was a joke to me....wow, you made it 3 years without any UCMJ or getting fat....here's a ribbon for doing the bare minimum of what you were supposed to do. As far as the Metal stuff...I like my jump wings, air assault wings, my foreign jump wings, expert badge, and other such stuff....because it was related to actual military things I know I earned. My NATO ribbon for being in Kosovo and Bosnia....that can go in the trash....my ribbon for being in Saudi Arabia and anywhere else I went in the SWA after September 11, 2001....that can go in the trash too...I don't want a ribbon just for being someplace. All that does is encourage officers to take flights into places to get awards and hazard pay and then fly out the next day. Anything that goes on a military uniform should be something you earned, not some fake crap meant to appease you like a cookie does to a little kid. Real troops know a BX soldier when they see one....the guy who shows off all his ribbons any chance he gets, regardless of whether he earned them or they where given away like Halloween candy.
BenSpearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #24
freedivingfool
JOIN OUR DIVE CLUB!

I like my Halloween candies then!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #25
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathlessSight View Post
There are rules and regs set. I know for us its wear all or none. If the man earned them he should be allowed to wear them. If he got one for just being some where then so be it cuz Im sure there is someone out there that hasnt been there. I think the old dusty plain uniforms with there crooked cloth insignias, sideways hats, dull boots, long hair and ginasorous name tapes looked trashy to me. When I look at someone in uniform I could care less if he is wearing a Scarlet Red, Pewter Grey, Maroon, Sage, Green, Tan or Black Beret. I dont care if he is wearing the Angel of Mercy, First There, Tirdent and pistol or the w/e. Or the amount of ribbons. All I care about is that they are wearing that uniform and wearing it with pride.
+1, well put. In the USAF its all or none and on the Full Service dress there is no choice, wear them all.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #26
mepps1

Quote:
I just found this link explaining the stuff that Petreaus wears, as well as showing Eisenhower with one row.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x1979952
Wow. I hadn't looked at all the ribbons previously. He kinda resembles a walking bar code.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #27
Bill McIntyre

I guess all those ribbons wore him down.He fainted while being questioned by McCain today.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #28
jonesin

Is this guy wearing too much?

I think he earned them and as a fellow Marine I'm sure you recognize who it is. Maybe he should have only wore his 5 Navy Crosses?
jonesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #29
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
Is this guy wearing too much?

I think he earned them and as a fellow Marine I'm sure you recognize who it is. Maybe he should have only wore his 5 Navy Crosses?
That's rather modest compared to this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12petraeus_graphic.full.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	129845  
Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #30
Scolinos
is the ocean's lover

From a civilian standpoint, I don't think they look too bad. I mean, not even close to as bad/ridiculous as North Korea's looks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	northkorea.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	129848  

Motivation fueled by Obsession
Scolinos is offline   Reply With Quote