Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 11-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
UaVaj

Lost Handheld Garmin GPS - Touchscreen Yes or No?

My beloved GPSmap 76CSx is floating somewhere in biscayne bay in a protective watertight soft bag.

hopefully someone finds my lost hand held. it will be a great find. it is loaded with blue chart for the whole US and city navigator for the whole US plus almost every rock out east of boca chita.

if you find it. please give me a heads up on your good fortune and hopefully you are putting it to good use. no need to return it (unless you want to return it to its original owner and collect an extra nice finder's fee for your effort).

since it is in a tough protective watertight soft bag. it will be protected from salt water for a few years until the ocean/sun break through that soft bag or until the battery corrode inside the unit.

That means I need to buy replacement handheld.

Looking online
GPSmap 76CSx is going for $229.
Oregon 450 is going for $299.

Upgrade to the Oregon 450 includes: increased performance from faster chip (unverify), slighly larger screen, bit higher resolution, 1000 more way points (2000 total), digital compass is tilt compensated, usb 2.0, and of course touch screen.

Only feature, I can truly utilize in this upgrade is (1) the increased way points and (2) increase performance. Everything else is nice but not necessary.

Another important aspect - afterall this is for marine usage. 76CSx is a floating GPS while the Oregon 450 is a NON floating GPS.

Here is my questions regarding the Oregon platform.

I have had a few opportunity to used a garmin handheld touchscreen while boating and it seems easy enough. Note: this is just the unit as is, without any protective watertight soft bag.

(1) How does the touchscreen respond behind a protective watertight soft bag? Is "keying/selecting" still accurate and easy?

(2) Does it float in the protective watertight soft bag?

Last edited by UaVaj; 11-18-2011 at 05:51 PM.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
bubba

Re: Lost Handheld GPS - Touchscreen Yes or No?

This doesn't answer the question, but I had my GPS stolen, replaced it w the 76Csx. Its on sale at WestMarine this week for $149 and another $100 for the G2 card.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
UaVaj

The one at west marine for $149 is the 76Cx. Not the 76CSx. Missing the digital compass and altimeter.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
johnnykilla

How about me I lost a twenty pound plus mutton fell off the boat as I was cleaning !!!!!!!!
johnnykilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Can't help on the other platform, but You might want to copy and paste the 1st half of your post describing the GPS in the Florida East Coast section of SB too. You have no idea how many refugee rafts and tubs that float up in the Boynton to West Palm area when you combine east winds and the close gulf stream. US Border patrol even keeps a boat in WPB because they get so many there. Best of luck that it turns up. If someone is doing a word search on it, could help get a hit.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
kwspearfishing7
nate

I've used the Oregon 400 for the past 2 years it's a great gps I've fell in the water with it and when they say it's water proof it sure is it dose not float and I don't think the touch screen will work through a bag but it's a great gps
kwspearfishing7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
UaVaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwspearfishing7 View Post
I've used the Oregon 400 for the past 2 years it's a great gps I've fell in the water with it and when they say it's water proof it sure is it dose not float and I don't think the touch screen will work through a bag but it's a great gps
if you don't mind. could you put that oregon into a freezer bag (squeeze most of the air out) and test my two question for me.

thanks a bunch.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Wishihadgills

It depends how the touchscreen works. There are some dry bags that are designed to allow use of a touchscreen phone like the iPhone. Also solving the buoyancy issue is easy. Just attach a couple small floating keychains to the lanyard.
Wishihadgills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
UaVaj

another question.

how is the durability of the touchscreen? if drop (CAUSE THAT GONNA HAPPEN NO MATTER WHAT) and a gets a direct hit "ON" the touch screen, will that cause the touchscreen to mal function? or perhap crack? at least with the 76CSx. the actual screen is 1/8" underneath the clear plastic housing window. worst case on the 76CSx is a scratched plastic housing (been there and done that)
Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
kwspearfishing7
nate

I've been pretty rough on it the screen is scratched in a few placese and the touch screen still works fine and it's bees dropped about a million times and it hasn't cracked or moufunctioned yet we run whole trips off that lil gps
kwspearfishing7 is offline   Reply With Quote