Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #16
SEATUX

Re: Where do you store a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre
My physical therapist asked if he could come watch surgery on the first shoulder next Friday, )
? Does that mean there's a second shoulder in this equation?
Best of luck in the surgery Bill!!

As for storage of boats, this thread gives me a new slant. I've been in our new house one year now, and recently got the actual tax bill, OUCH! But when I subtract the mooring/storage cost you guys are paying it brings it more in line. My boat cant be trailered, It's on a lift behind the house, which I love 'cause of access to work on it and security issues. So with free mooring/storage the Taxes dont seem quite so bad now.
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #17
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX
? Does that mean there's a second shoulder in this equation?
Yes, I've derailed three other threads with the details, but why not one more?

Actually, I'll leave out most of the details, but the plan is to see how the first one goes, and then operate on the second one just as soon as I have enough function in the first one to be able to do basis survival things such as eating and holding wine glasses. This way I can be rehabbing two at once and shortening the total time down.

Quote:
As for storage of boats, this thread gives me a new slant. I've been in our new house one year now, and recently got the actual tax bill, OUCH! But when I subtract the mooring/storage cost you guys are paying it brings it more in line. My boat cant be trailered, It's on a lift behind the house, which I love 'cause of access to work on it and security issues. So with free mooring/storage the Taxes dont seem quite so bad now.
Glad we could ease your pain somewhat.

As I said before, I bought my house specifically so I could have the boat at home, but then the city screwed me. But I really miss being able to walk out the door and work on it, fiddle with it, and otherwise bond with it. I just don't take as good a care of it now as I did then.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #18
Steve-o
whiskey and sand

Quote:
But I really miss being able to walk out the door and work on it, fiddle with it, and otherwise bond with it. I just don't take as good a care of it now as I did then.
There is something to be said for accessibility. You end up putting off little cosmetic things and before you know it, the thing's a mess. If you can go out and poke around, then the boat seems to magically keep itself ready for action, and I have less trouble remembering where I hid things.

Farallon 25 187
Steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #19
Nano54

You may want to try Goby Diving. Danny is a class act and I had an awesome time at catalina Island. Although I am still bummed for Brian911, should taken home a little fishey(big). But really, it is an awesome private charter boat and what a fun time. Oh make sure you don't make the same mistake I did and take out a gun you are not familiar with, as you are guaranteed to miss.
Nano54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #20
Eyt@nnah
Eytan Nahmias

Send a message via AIM to Eyt@nnah

Pictures like that dont appeal to me!!!!! Jk lol funny picture
Old 12-10-2006, 12:02 AM   #21
JDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano54
You may want to try Goby Diving. Danny is a class act and I had an awesome time at catalina Island. Although I am still bummed for Brian911, should taken home a little fishey(big). But really, it is an awesome private charter boat and what a fun time. Oh make sure you don't make the same mistake I did and take out a gun you are not familiar with, as you are guaranteed to miss.

What is Goby Diving?
JDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 PM   #22
CaptSport

Send a message via AIM to CaptSport

Quote:
Aluminum and saltwater don't mix. You may want to consider a glass boat.
That statement is flat out not true not to mention kind of dumb (sorry Painkilla) concidering every outdrive and outboard made is made out of aluminum.

Aluminum boats are the only way to go in my opinion.

They'll outlast a glass boat if properly taken care of. They're typically lighter for the same length. About 40% lighter, which means cheaper to tow and run. Lower maintenance, just spray em down with a hose after a day on the ocean. And, change your zincs when they wear out after several years.

The only common complaint some people have is that aluminum boats pound. Which is also some what untrue, every boat will pound given the right conditions and operator stupidity. It has much more to do with hull design then hull material. It's just that plastic boats are "pretty" and therefore easier to sell the wife on the idea.

If you look at the kinds of boats used in serious service such as commercial fishing, harbor patrol and even our own coast guard. You see many more aluminum boats than you will glass.

All that being said most people that buy a serious aluminum boat, not those cheap ass skiffs stamped out of thin sheet metal. Are typically not first time boat buyers. They buy the "pretty" plastic ones first.

Cya,

jr
CaptSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #23
jjhollin

I love my little aluminum boat (18 foot Gregor). I have had so much fun in that boat. It is relatively cheap to run and maintain. It's a really good first boat to learn seamanship and boat repair/maintenance. I actually bought it from someone from the board, but I didn't know it at the time.

I can't wait to upgrade to the next level. I think my next boat will be the Triumph 22 CC. That boat is killer, and a pretty good value too. Hopefully the next one after that will be a Radon.

I will be selling my boat for a somewhere around 2500 in the Spring if anyone is interested.

jjhollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:49 AM   #24
Chris Oak
the ghost

Quote:
Thanks.

My physical therapist asked if he could come watch surgery on the first shoulder next Friday, and I said it was fine with me if it was fine with the doctor.

Just think, he should know exactly what it looked like in there when we start the rehab.
Damn Bill I had arthroscopic on the shoulder done mid sept and I finally got the okay to freedive. I'm still not strong enough to load the 20mm bands though so a lot good that does me . I hope you heal up well, get used to wiping your butt with your wrong hand, its a bitch!

My .2 cents is get a small boat and trailer it, it's much cheaper but you have to drive safely because of all the inconsiderate people in so cali. Around 17' should be fine for most of your needs as long as you are careful.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #25
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Level
Damn Bill I had arthroscopic on the shoulder done mid sept and I finally got the okay to freedive. I'm still not strong enough to load the 20mm bands though so a lot good that does me . I hope you heal up well, get used to wiping your butt with your wrong hand, its a bitch!
Damn, that's not very encouraging. I was hoping to be back much sooner than that. Did you have rotator cuff damage?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #26
Chris Oak
the ghost

Yes, it was a partial tear. They put an anchor in the bone and tied the ligaments to it. They also shaved down the bone a bit to allow it to heal up fast. It's a weird feeling the first month, you have no strength and some bone pain, like a cramp all the time. Not severe though. They told me it would be three months as well, but after the surgery they said MAYBE three months. I'm almost there now, I just have some pain when I pull the bands on the big guns back so I'm taking it slow.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #27
southbound
Low Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton713
I hear you guys about having friends with boats instead of owning your own, but I am new hear and that takes time. I've made offers to pay for peoples full tanks of gas for runs on the islands and that still stands. I am in a unique time of my life where I have the income and flexibility to enjoy a boat before I get anchored by a wife or kids. Plus I didn't grow up in California doing this stuff so what may seem like an average day on the water for most is a great day for me. I just want to make the most of my time.
Boat ownership has is up's and down's, but for me the up's outway the down's. If you have the means and the desire, get a boat. There is nothing like having a day off on a perfect day and the ability to take your boat wherever you want to go when you want to go. Of course there are headaches and day's you will be stuck at the ramp broken down, but the good still overides the bad IMO. I live in Huntington Beach and have my 22'Cabo in an RV yard and it cost's $150.00 a month. I also have a 17.5 Whaler in my driveway. The Cabo is not good on the gas or the dough it cost's to store. I am in the process of selling the Cabo and putting a fourstroke on the Whaler. A bigger boat is nice to have, but for 2 guy's and a run to Cat or Clemente for the day my cheap little Whaler is all I need for now. I second the opinion of a glass boat for trips around here.
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #28
Uno Breath

I keep my boat in the water, in its slip. I pay 150 a month for my slip.
Uno Breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #29
Bill McIntyre

What harbor, and how long is the boat?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #30
Nate Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rpj
I keep my boat in the water, in its slip. I pay 150 a month for my slip.
In southern California?!! How'd you manage that? Nice going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbound
There is nothing like having a day off on a perfect day and the ability to take your boat wherever you want to go when you want to go.
Ain't that the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSport
It's just that plastic boats are "pretty" and therefore easier to sell the wife on the idea.
There's probably at least some truth to that. Boat owners can be pretty snobbish. On the other hand (and please correct me if I misspeak), but I've never seen a center console aluminum boat that had any deadrise. The only two I've been in -- a 15 footer in Baja and a 19 footer out of Noyo -- were a little frightening going down swell. They wanted to yaw excessively.
Nate Baker is offline   Reply With Quote