Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
DjZeff

Lightbulb jbl mini d5 roller gun?

ok so the key benefits of a roller gun being more power from a band being stretched about twice the length of the gun and the wishbone traveling the full length of the gun to impart the most speed wouldn't it make sense to turn a jbl mini 19" into a roller gun? It would be tough but worth it. I would freeshaft so i dont have to deal with line management on such a small gun, and use a longer shaft with a 3 prong spear to ensure i kill the fish. Because i would use it for reef hunting relatively small game like porgy, snapper, and hogfish, I wouldn't need much more. Can anyone more experienced with fabrication and rollerguns tell me if this is even possible?
Thanks so much
Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
phil herranen

Re: jbl mini d5 roller gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjZeff View Post
ok so the key benefits of a roller gun being more power from a band being stretched about twice the length of the gun and the wishbone traveling the full length of the gun to impart the most speed wouldn't it make sense to turn a jbl mini 19" into a roller gun? It would be tough but worth it. I would freeshaft so i dont have to deal with line management on such a small gun, and use a longer shaft with a 3 prong spear to ensure i kill the fish. Because i would use it for reef hunting relatively small game like porgy, snapper, and hogfish, I wouldn't need much more. Can anyone more experienced with fabrication and rollerguns tell me if this is even possible?
Thanks so much
yes it can be done , go for it , years ago i mad a biller 24" special into a roller and it went form useless to a gun with decent power
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
DjZeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
yes it can be done , go for it , years ago i mad a biller 24" special into a roller and it went form useless to a gun with decent power
phil
so how would i start? im assuming you cant buy pre build muzzles with rollers on them?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
kwtony
Snorkel Master

After reading this i might consider converting my 32 biller into something a tad more useful..Its sitting there begging to be used more. Ive seen a few roller muzzles online. Phil should I pick one up, shape the end of the wood accordingly and add a band mount on the bottom near the handle? Doesn't seem too difficult to add one. Is there something blatantly obvious that im missing ?
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
DjZeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
After reading this i might consider converting my 32 biller into something a tad more useful..Its sitting there begging to be used more. Ive seen a few roller muzzles online. Phil should I pick one up, shape the end of the wood accordingly and add a band mount on the bottom near the handle? Doesn't seem too difficult to add one. Is there something blatantly obvious that im missing ?
do you know of a website that sells muzzles that would fit jbl?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
kwtony
Snorkel Master

I did a brief search after my interested was sparked with little luck. They were popular sites as far as i was concered and im sure I'll find them. Pretty sure Phil will chime in and tell us everything we need to know about it before I do tho.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
djsmits305
DJ

Send a message via Skype™ to djsmits305

That would be really really cool! Good luck on the build if you decide to try it!
djsmits305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
DjZeff

So then, no information? been refreshing this page every so often lol