Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 07-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
bryang123

New GoPro, looking for mount ideas

Hey guys, I just got a GoPro 4 silver and I'm super psyched! Anyways, I'm really interested in shooting point of view shots and was wondering what you guys do to mount the camera? I have seen people drilling and mounting it onto their mask but I think my mask (mares star liquidskin) won't work for this but I'm not sure. I've also seen people using a head strap so I bought that as well but had a couple questions: 1) How do I make sure that the camera shoots what I'm looking at?(with either method) 2) How do I make sure that the camera and head strap don't just fall off??

Thanks and hoping to be posting videos soon!
bryang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: New GoPro, looking for mount ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryang123 View Post
Hey guys, I just got a GoPro 4 silver and I'm super psyched! Anyways, I'm really interested in shooting point of view shots and was wondering what you guys do to mount the camera? I have seen people drilling and mounting it onto their mask but I think my mask (mares star liquidskin) won't work for this but I'm not sure. I've also seen people using a head strap so I bought that as well but had a couple questions: 1) How do I make sure that the camera shoots what I'm looking at?(with either method) 2) How do I make sure that the camera and head strap don't just fall off??

Thanks and hoping to be posting videos soon!
We have a couple solutions that may work for you. MANY people have lost cameras with the GoPro head strap!

We sell a head strap with an addition chin strap which will prevent the loss of the camera.

You will want to try to align the plane of the mask with the plane of the camera lens and maybe a tiny bit more of a downward angle. When you want to film something in your hands.. like a fish, toggle the camera down a little.

We also have a clamp on Gopro mask that works with many framed masks. You will have to take a look at the picture and compare to your mask to see if it looks like it will fit.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Chin-St...o-p/mcshbc.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/Dive-Ma...p-p/dmgpmc.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Spearin239

I use the head strap most times!
I simply put it on first then my mask and make sure the strap for my mask is on top of the head strap!
I have also just put my snorkel through the head strap to help secure it!
Spearin239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #4
divezone

You could also take a look at this if you have a JBL or other speargun with a one inch tube.

Amazon.com : Speargun Camera Mount For Gopro and Other Video Cameras : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Speargun Camera Mount For Gopro and Other Video Cameras : Sports & Outdoors

Click image for larger version

Name:	speargun mount, camera housing, and speargun.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	220919
divezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
jersymudsniper

Dont use the head mount without a chin strap unless ya wanna lose the camera! I have tried gun mounts, head mounts ect. Best i have found is a hand held mount with lanyard. Much easier and better video. Jmo.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
brandon cadalzo

Why can't you just put the head strap under your hood?Works great
Old 09-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
jaxwax
average joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon cadalzo View Post
Why can't you just put the head strap under your hood?Works great
^This is what also works for me and never had an issue with losing it

However, recommend you try it at home first to get the tilt angle just right. If for example it's pointed straight forward it will record stuff at distance just fine. But a dead fish in your hands usually is too low to be recorded
Head mount also kinda makes for jerky footage. Need to slow down your head movements a bit for cleaner vids
jaxwax is offline   Reply With Quote