Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
anickel

Islas Marias info

Anyone dove the Islas Marias or the waters between Puerto Vallarta and Cabo? Im doing a boat delivery and wondering if anyone knew some good spots on the Marias or what to expect during the crossing.
-Andrew
anickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
mochosla

Re: Islas Marias info

The Islas Marias are part of the Mexican jail system. Not sure which one you are going to but I believe there are 3 main islands with jails for different level criminals. I saw a special on TV where they talked about the many inmates that live there with their family. As you may be aware, in Mexico conjugal visits are allowed and in the islands, you can actually have your family live with you, your kids go to school etc.

As far as spearfishing, no idea brother. Sorry. Good luck though.

email me @

mochosla@yahoo.com
mochosla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
ROBERTO REYES
MAN OVERBOARD

PV, the rock and el bajo, if weather is good, those are your spots.
ROBERTO REYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
Gringofrijolero
Gringofrijolero

The diving is incredible but highly illegal. The top island, Maria Madre is where the prison is. It used to be like a little town where families could go if their husband/father was jailed so they wouldn't be left without income. It was almost all non-violent criminals. Now though it is being changed and being filled with more violent offenders and cartel members. That being said, the security has been beefed up as well. There is a 12 mile limit around the islands that you can not go in. If you do, they will haul you in to the main island, harrass you, print you and generally mistreat you. They usually let you go within 24 hrs. I know several people who have been there. There is some great diving and good surf too but the consequences aren't worth it. Isla Isabela is a bit to the north of the Marias and a little off the straight course but it is legal and can also be some unreal diving. Pargos, roosters, grouper, trevallys. You need a hand with the delivery? I've got my 100 ton and have done the trip several times.
Gringofrijolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

I know a stand up couple that fishes that area twice a year. They have caught some cow yellowfin tuna down there, thus time of year. Not sure about the spearing though.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
unkabonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringofrijolero View Post
Isla Isabela is a bit to the north of the Marias and a little off the straight course but it is legal and can also be some unreal diving. Pargos, roosters, grouper, trevallys..
^ Go there! It's a nice little anchorage. A bit out of the way though.

Andrew we expect a report or something. None of this lurking stuff.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
anickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkabonka View Post
^ Go there! It's a nice little anchorage. A bit out of the way though.

Andrew we expect a report or something. None of this lurking stuff.
I will report forsure. There looks like theres nice point break on Isla Maria Isabela southern tip, has anyone seen it? Is it actually a good wave? Also does anyone know where the best tuna grounds are between PV and Cabo?
anickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
anickel

Report: Great trip overall but the fishing was mehhh. On the mainland the captain didnt really want to stop to dive. We got to the Marias at daybreak and started to troll. It was dead calm and there was signs of life (bonito schools and marlin birds) but we trolled for all the way past them and didnt catch squat. As the sun set our problem became apparent the full moon, and the fish eating at night. At this time we were long past the Islands and I caught a little 20lb dodo. We got to the Gordo Bank at 5am and the marlin fishing turned on. At one point there was 4 marlin on our teasers and we hooked and caught too of them but again my captain wanted to keep trolling and wouldnt let me dive in. Inshore there were lots of hogfish and pargo