Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
VincentNJ

Gun Review

Has anyone ever used, owned or know someone who owns a JBL explorer 22 lightning? (Or any size of this model) Some say it is an average gun for the price and others swear against JBL in general. If anyone has any opinions feel free to share thank you
VincentNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
apexdiver
Tony

Re: Gun Review

Don't buy a lightning.Trigger is garbage and the overall construction is cheap.I am going to stop because I don't want this to turn into a rant.If you want a gun in that price range check out mako and if you wanna spend a little more go with pathos,or if you are dead set on jbl check this out http://www.speardeals.com/JBL_Reaper..._p/jbl-610.htm
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
VincentNJ

Thankyou for the input I've heard the triggers are terrible too
Old 08-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
kwtony
Snorkel Master

You want an inexpensive tiny gun, Id look into a 70-90 Rob Allen, and consider a Meandros Reverse Trigger mech upgrade to add some extra band stretch. I have made videos on how easy it is to install.

Im sure a few NJ divers will chime in with their setups. Cant go wrong with a Rob Allen rail gun, or a Pathos lazer in aluminum.

neptonicsystems.com for RA
spearamerica.com forPathos and trigger upprade. Chances are, if you ask REALLY REALLY REALLY NICELY, petros might put it in for you MIght have to bribe him with some beer money tho..
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
VincentNJ

Price doesn't really matter, I'm looking for quality but not trying to spend a fortune. An employee at a local dive shop near me told me to go with Rob Allen also so I may look at some models thank you
Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
spearo #uno
Senior user

If you're looking at a JBL for the money in alum., the Special, Custom and the Magnum will last you for many years. I have a Northwest that have been using for the last 12 year without any problems just band replacements from time to time I also have a number of other wood guns that are just too nice to even get them wet.
spearo #uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
isotopez

I have the newer jbl with the improved mech and have taken some nice fish with it. The quality of the guns are improving from them but at that size I would probably think about a pipe gun too.
isotopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Ive actually shot decent fish with the 22 lightning. Effective range is about 3 feet and forget trying to shoot anything over ten pounds lol. Trigger mech is fine for the gun, you cant exactly load up the mech on a 22 inch gun lol
Pathos is a much better choice
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
VincentNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
Ive actually shot decent fish with the 22 lightning. Effective range is about 3 feet and forget trying to shoot anything over ten pounds lol. Trigger mech is fine for the gun, you cant exactly load up the mech on a 22 inch gun lol
Pathos is a much better choice
The gun isn't 22 inches it's just the name of the model...it's in the 40 inch range, every retailer gives different measurements and I've only seen it in person once and it looked like a pretty cheap setup. I'm going to probably give Mako a try.