Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Gator.Lynch

Thinking about a hybrid gun build

I have been prowling the board lately and have seen some threads about diy guns. It seems like it would be fairly easy to do, I thought it would be cool to do like a 36 inch hybrid with paduak and yellow heart. I saw some guns that were made of those types of lumber and they looked fantastic. I'm just wondering how hard it is to do, how expensive it is, and whether or not it would be worth it to try. I don't have a router or a drill press although I maybe able to use one at school. Any advice for a newbie before he wastes his time and money?
Gator.Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
deepdestroyer
Wood Butcher

Re: Thinking about a hybrid gun build

Parts alone for a simple hybrid are going to run at least $400-$500. If this is your first build I would go with a rear handle all wood gun. Then go for the more complicated stuff. Also, to be honest, without a router im not sure its even possible for a beginner woodworker to build a gun, let alone a hybrid.

Im a few hours from you but if your ever on the east coast near me you are more then welcome to come take a look at my shop and pick up a few pointers.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Gator.Lynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdestroyer View Post
Parts alone for a simple hybrid are going to run at least $400-$500. If this is your first build I would go with a rear handle all wood gun. Then go for the more complicated stuff. Also, to be honest, without a router im not sure its even possible for a beginner woodworker to build a gun, let alone a hybrid.

Im a few hours from you but if your ever on the east coast near me you are more then welcome to come take a look at my shop and pick up a few pointers.
Alright, thats what I needed to know. I have really never done any woodworking so for that price I'll just save and get a riffe padauk. Not going to completely give up on it though.
Gator.Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Alex1
Alex Hernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator.Lynch View Post
Alright, thats what I needed to know. I have really never done any woodworking so for that price I'll just save and get a riffe padauk. Not going to completely give up on it though.
Its definitely a fun hobby to get into so good luck with future builds
Alex1 is offline   Reply With Quote