Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Kapono

STOKED! Bought new Riffe Euro 120X

Just bought my new Riffe Euro 120x today! I took it in the water a few hours later for a test run. The dive was pretty uneventful besides some nice size calicos that I passed on, but anyways...I started this thread to see some opinions on the best setup for this gun ie.( shaft size, bands, slip tip, etc...) Just wanted to see what people out there had to say and see some fool proof rigs. I usually dive PV and I'm going to be using this gun for WSB.
Kapono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
freeryde

Re: STOKED! Bought new Riffe Euro 120X

First of all do not line up a shot like the one in your avatar or you will eventually knock your teeth out and accuracy will be very bad as well. I have done a ton of pool shooting this gun with different setups as well as shot dozens of fish over 50 pounds with it in addition to our local calicos and reef fish. The best set up for accuracy is a 5/16 mori shaft with 2 5/8 bands fresh prime line rubber cut short to 26" and 28" . This gun is the minimum for shooting seabass which have grown up in recent years and now average over 50 lbs with over 70 not uncommon. Shoot a slip tip for sea bass and don't overpower the gun. Take shots no more than 12-15 foot and you will land every fish. I powered mine up with some ballasted teak side stocks to give it a bit more power and range. Here are some photos from this spring( edit the site will not let me upload pics of the mod to the gun but you can kind of see it in the foreground of the one Black grouper pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1142.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	205436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1063.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	205437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1138.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	205438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	205439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	205440  

freeryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
freeryde

no love
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	205441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	205442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1112.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	205443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	205444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	205445  

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	205446  
freeryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
Kapono

I was just waiting for someone to say something about the avatar lol...
Obviously I don't shoot like that, but thanks. Great pics, and thanks for the tips!
Kapono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
freeride
Joe

HAHAHA funny thing is I posted under my super old user name accidentally. I haven't posted anything on this site in so long I forgot my login. I just couldn't help but reply cause its my favorite gun. Good Luck!!
Old 05-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
jdeirmend

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeryde View Post
First of all do not line up a shot like the one in your avatar or you will eventually knock your teeth out and accuracy will be very bad as well. I have done a ton of pool shooting this gun with different setups as well as shot dozens of fish over 50 pounds with it in addition to our local calicos and reef fish. The best set up for accuracy is a 5/16 mori shaft with 2 5/8 bands fresh prime line rubber cut short to 26" and 28" . This gun is the minimum for shooting seabass which have grown up in recent years and now average over 50 lbs with over 70 not uncommon. Shoot a slip tip for sea bass and don't overpower the gun. Take shots no more than 12-15 foot and you will land every fish. I powered mine up with some ballasted teak side stocks to give it a bit more power and range. Here are some photos from this spring( edit the site will not let me upload pics of the mod to the gun but you can kind of see it in the foreground of the one Black grouper pic
Though I don't specifically shoot a Riffe Euro, I would have to say I disagree with 2 5/8" bands being the best setup for accuracy. For a thin-bodied eurogun, any # of bands over one is going to be considerably more inaccurate than using just one band, on just about any gun intended for mid to longer ranges (110cm and up / targeting fish at an average range of 8-12 feet), with just about any amount of ballast, adjustment, weight, etc.

This is not to say that such a setup doesn't represent a good balance of power and accuracy, especially for a heavier wooden eurogun. But you will get more accuracy, IMO, with a single 3/4" band rigged TIGHT (3.5-4X stretch from notch to muzzle) with a short wishbone.

You may have a little less effective range with this setup, but not by all that much.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Lone Star Spearo
Extreme snorkeler

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...ght=Riffe+euro

Listen to these guys...Spearq8 has done a lot of testing with the Riffe Euro series and seems to have it "dialed in"
Old 05-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeirmend View Post
Though I don't specifically shoot a Riffe Euro, I would have to say I disagree with 2 5/8" bands being the best setup for accuracy. For a thin-bodied eurogun, any # of bands over one is going to be considerably more inaccurate than using just one band, on just about any gun intended for mid to longer ranges (110cm and up / targeting fish at an average range of 8-12 feet), with just about any amount of ballast, adjustment, weight, etc.

This is not to say that such a setup doesn't represent a good balance of power and accuracy, especially for a heavier wooden eurogun. But you will get more accuracy, IMO, with a single 3/4" band rigged TIGHT (3.5-4X stretch from notch to muzzle) with a short wishbone.

You may have a little less effective range with this setup, but not by all that much.

I have used a 3/4" band on various guns. I make the bands myself and if using a single 3/4" band, I cut it to be tight, but I just don't measure my bands. I know some people want to be precise, but after dozens of years, I just cut the bands to what feels "right".

Anyway, I remember several years ago, I remember reading about the 3 or 3.5 stretch ratio. I went out in the garage and measured my 3/4" band to be a stretch of something like 3 or probably less.

Do people REALLY cut 3/4" bands to a stretch ratio of 4??? I honestly find that hard to believe.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschland Spearo View Post
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...ght=Riffe+euro

Listen to these guys...Spearq8 has done a lot of testing with the Riffe Euro series and seems to have it "dialed in"
There was a time few years back we would never agree. I sure am glad we do now!

The above link is your answer. And you could read the 7mm vs 7.5mm thread for more info. Do you freedive or scuba?
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
jdeirmend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I have used a 3/4" band on various guns. I make the bands myself and if using a single 3/4" band, I cut it to be tight, but I just don't measure my bands. I know some people want to be precise, but after dozens of years, I just cut the bands to what feels "right".

Anyway, I remember several years ago, I remember reading about the 3 or 3.5 stretch ratio. I went out in the garage and measured my 3/4" band to be a stretch of something like 3 or probably less.

Do people REALLY cut 3/4" bands to a stretch ratio of 4??? I honestly find that hard to believe.
Most probably don't, but I do. It makes a significant difference, and if your loading technique is good, it really isn't that much harder to load.

Some will say that 4X is too much, but it seems to offer that little extra bit of juice that makes it worth it, IMO.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeirmend View Post
Most probably don't, but I do. It makes a significant difference, and if your loading technique is good, it really isn't that much harder to load.

Some will say that 4X is too much, but it seems to offer that little extra bit of juice that makes it worth it, IMO.
Anything over 3to1 tears the modulus of the bands and they will rapidly degrade , you might have more pop the first 8-10 hours but after that you will have the same or less power than thiner bands cut at 3-1 . Thinner bands also retract faster than thicker bands .

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
apexdiver
Tony

I personally don't like a single 3/4'' on a gun over 90cm.I feel I get a smoother shot with two 5/8''s and for me that results in better accuracy and not to mention more power.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
mikelb

I'm so happy the wsb are finally averaging 50#'s. It took awhile.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #14
jdeirmend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Anything over 3to1 tears the modulus of the bands and they will rapidly degrade , you might have more pop the first 8-10 hours but after that you will have the same or less power than thiner bands cut at 3-1 . Thinner bands also retract faster than thicker bands .
Hmmmm. Wish I had a pool to test this out.

The ease with which I can load a fresher 16mm band vs. my going on five years 19mm band - the latter of which is admittedly showing signs of severe wear at the point where it braces against the open muzzle - would seem evidence against the truth of this statement.

This is all on my Picasso 120.

However, I must admit that I didn't start with it at 3.5X. It began probably at about 2.5X, and every year, when it became cracked at the wishbone, I cut at least 1-2" off each side. Right now, it's somewhere between 3.5 and 4X.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #15
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

5 years for a band that's crazy? I change bands at least twice a year whether I like it or not. I cant imagine how much that band's strength has deteriorated over that time period. Werent you talking about a speargun revolutionary change while back?

Phil is right but if you need to get in the pool to test it, hurry up we are waiting for the results.

And while Im on the subject of doubting Phil....if their is one person on this forum to NOT doubt, its Phil. .
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote