Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
Malibu Mike

Group Pig Hunting trip?

Ok so here's a deal. I've arranged a hog hunting trip but it's gonna cost a few dollars. There's a resort near Paso Robles that has killer cabins and guided hunts. We can get a really good rate if 6 sign up. If I organize it they'll throw in my trip for free. I'm just being up front about it but I wont shoot untill everybody has a pig and you can bet I'll be along to help spot and teach stuff to those that dont know anything about cleaning etc. I hunt private property and do really well all year round. I can't really bring people to the property but if I could I would. I am always asked about taking people hunting so this is the best thing I can think of. I really don't need to go (becuase of the access I have) but I'd be stoked on getting a group of spear heads together for an expedition.
We cant get a discount of each pig at 450.00, rooms are 50.00 bucks a nite per person, three people to a cabin comfortably, normally they are 225.00 a night so that's a savings of 50.00 on each of the hogs and 75.00 each cabin a night, how's that? So that $550 for two nights lodging and guided hunts.
The resort is called Bryson Resrort check out there website at
http://www.brysonresort.com
http://www.brysonresort.com/guided_hunts.html

I'm thinking April and we can take my veggie truck (room for 5) if you want a free ride and save some gas money.

Yeah I did go to Poly. I worked at SLO Brew and CCS and Cafe Brio. I think we all had long hair and beads, it worked good while I was the sensative vegetarian type. Once you start hunting, long hair has no place in the field and there ain't no way someone is going to give you a trespass slip looking like that . And it ain't no good under the hood of a wetsuit either.
Malibu Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
bug_power
Team Jetty Jumper!

Re: Group Pig Hunting trip?

Wow...are pigs that expensive out in Cali? I remember the day when ranchers and farmers paid YOU to hunt them per head.
bug_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
NateSmith
Wannabe

Send a message via AIM to NateSmith Send a message via Yahoo to NateSmith

I'm in. Just let me know when. I still gotta wait on my back pay to catch up, but I'll be there.

NateSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Clayton713
Clayton713

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_power
Wow...are pigs that expensive out in Cali? I remember the day when ranchers and farmers paid YOU to hunt them per head.
We still do in Texas.
Clayton713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Malibu Mike

Yeah it aint cheap but if youve never hunted pigs before and always wanted too, this is a pretty good deal. The other option is to either get access to private land, which is tuff, or to hit the public spots. I've done the public thing and never seen a pigs in three or four trips. The gas alone on the four trips would have paid for the guided deal.
I think we need two or three more for a mission.
Malibu Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
MACKFISH

Yeh bring your speargun and stick one just take off the shooting line or not.Nothing but a grouper with legs and some hair shouldnt be to hard to shaft one with the hair and all.LOL
Old 03-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
DANAPOINTspear

i hunt my pigs for free out in the carmel valley and the national forest. there is nothing better than a good pig hunt. i have hunted on private land owned by a friend of the family out near paso robles, there are pigs everywhere. my freezer is full of boar meat right now!!! everyone should experience a boar hunt!! good luck
DANAPOINTspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
abachar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACKFISH
Yeh bring your speargun and stick one just take off the shooting line or not.Nothing but a grouper with legs and some hair shouldnt be to hard to shaft one with the hair and all.LOL

This has been considered on a rainy drive up to Mendocino
Old 03-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Aircowboy
formerly pilotspear

Nate!
I didn't know you hunt too. If you want to shoot boars I can guide you to a few!!
Aircowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
Seacidal

For that kind of admission fee, how much meat are we likely to get to take home (each)?
And how do the guides process the carcass and package the meat? What kind of processing and freezing operation do they have?
Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
californiaklemo
cortez yellows

Chip, I've hunted for pig with this guide. I got 150# pig and harvested about 90#'s of meat.. The pigs are bled and gutted as soon as possible. After the hunt (if not quartered already) the pig will be hung and skinned. They are then placed in a gamebag And it's off to the butcher. I filled mine with block ice to expediate the cooling process (pigs are hot internaly). The cuts of meat vary on the size of the pig. The price for this hunt is VERY reasonable and your almost guaranteed a pig........
Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
jjhollin

Sounds cool. What if a person were interested and didn't own a rifle? What weekend are you thinking about?

How's the meat? I heard it's pretty good.
jjhollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #13
Seacidal

Eric, it sounds good. I was wondering how long it usually is before the game is bled and gutted, and you answered that. Am I correct in understanding that this hunt is on private land? If so, are there restrictions on what type of hunting methods and gear can be employed?

Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

If your ever interested in hunting BLM public land around Parkfield (south Monterey Co) send me a PM. The pigs feed on barley so there great eating. Good luck on your hunt !!!

Bob Pennal
Fresno
U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #15
californiaklemo
cortez yellows

Per DFG the ONLY way to hunt pig is by muzzleloader, bow or rifle. The animals must only be taken during daylight hours(pigs are nocturnal). No knives,spears or other devices. DFG says it's not humane to kill poor defenseless 300# Boars with a knife but we can shoot them at 300 yrds. There is supposed to be no difference between hunting on private or public lands...