Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
SamoSpearo
kennen

season cleaning (CLEANED HOUSE!)

F*in killed it. Went out with Richard 1971, jjhollin and one of Rich's buddies on his badass new boat yesterday and got into some serious YT action. We were hoping to find some Dodos but were pleasantly surprised by wide open retarded YT.

When we pulled up to our dive destination we jumped in and were greeted by crystal clear water and enormous schools of bait. So thick you could dive into their midst and be completely enveloped, neither seeing the water surrounding you, ground beneath you, or surface above you, just silver baitfish… everywhere. Amazing experience. I was pretty enthralled by this bait school and was steadily diving into their midst and watching these countless fish run circles around me. On one of these dives into the bait all of the fish simultaneously turned & bolted to my right, figuring I was about to get blind sided by a mako I turned to my left just as a nice Yellow came in. “Oh, you’re so F*in dead” I T’ed up on him and hit him mid body, and I guess nobody told this YT he was a pelagic and not a grouper cause he b-lined it for the bottom and quickly wedged his head into the smallest cave around. Kinda reminded me of an ostrch sticking its head in the sand when they feel threatened, cause it was probably the most useless attempt at self-preservation Ive ever seen. I swam down, grabbed him & bled him out sans problemas “silly YT”. When I swam him back to the boat I saw that while I was mesmerized by bait Jake had been busy and already boated 2 YT. Nice work bro!

After losing 2 poorly shot YT to angry sea lions things calmed down a bit (and the sea lions went into overdriveattack mode) and we decided to go look for dodos on the paddies. After jumping in on half a dozen paddies for nothing we found a barn door with a H&Ler on it and waited them out. While waiting the excitement grew for the swarms of YT and mahi that must be under this thing and we pretty much worked ourselves into a frenzy. When they gave us the green light All 3 of us jumped in and began swimming toward the paddy.

Rich was infront of me and and looking to my left a nice YT came up out of the blue. I thought for sure Rich had seen this fish and was ingnoring it for the swarms which would be under the paddy since he was first in the race to get there. Accepting that he would have dibs on the massacre under the paddy I lined up on a kill shot and pulled the trigger, and nothing happened. Damn trigger was jammed. Bracing the gun but against my shoulder for more leverage I squeezed harder while trying to maintain a shot on the yellow and still, nothing happened. I then started pounding the rear of the gun with my left hand while squeezing the trigger & trying to hold the shot on the yellow and suddenly “SHHHHHTHWAK!” gun goes off and breaks the yellows spine… huh. During this whole escapade the yellow could not have been more interested. I think all the moving shiny stuff was just too much for the fish’s small brain to register that there could be any danger. This same scenario (trigger not firing, more trigger squeezing, shaking & gun slapping) was repeated for another YT on the paddy and then things died down and we took some pics.

Heading back in we decide to stop at one more point and are once again greeted by hoards of bait but fierce current. I watched Jake jump in and by the time he’d loaded his gun and he was over 100 yards from the boat… uh-oh. Saying "F-this" I tied my extra float line to the transom as a drift line and hung on for dear life. My strategy was to pull myself up to the boat & do a drop, drifting with the current. After surfacing I would have to swim like mad for the end of the drift line then pull myself back to the boat.

On one of these drops a school of decent sized skipjack tuna came flying by and I lined up on the biggest one and tried to deal with my broke-ass trigger, nothing… OK, next biggest in line, more gun shaking/trigger slapping, nope. Lining up on a third one my trigger yanking butt slapping gig paid of and the gun finally went off. Almost as soon as I shot my line rocketed straight down, then I saw the little guy come flying out of the depths and break the surface in a breach. This fish fought like a maniac, this is a maaaaaybe 8 lb fish with a 63 inch shaft in it mind you, little buggers are strong. After getting sick of his shenanigans I horsed him in and bled him out.

This same drift line technique yielded another big yellow (with more trigger problems) from a school and we called it a day. I ended up with 4 yellows up to about 30lbs and the skippy. One of the best days of diving Ive ever had. Jake it was great meeting and diving with you, send me your email & I’ll send you the pics. Anytime you want to go diving man lets head out, this was a blast.

Rich had some heart breakers with fish coming off and we had a bunch more excitement including but not limited to some on board chumming and events leading to an ambulance meeting us at the launch ramp, but I'll let the other guys post about that if they feel up to it. Also Richard, as always it was awesome diving with you bro, PM me your email for the pics! Got some great ones!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sb 1.JPG
Views:	647
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	82123   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb2.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	82124   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb3.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	82125  

Last edited by SamoSpearo; 08-20-2008 at 12:17 PM.
SamoSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
SamoSpearo
kennen

Re: season cleaning (CLEANED HOUSE!)

mo betta pics... first time using the UW camera. Take me diving, I'll make you famous!!! first pic above is Jake, second is Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sb4.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	82128   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb5.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	82129  
SamoSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Bulit7

Holly pile of fish Batman!!

Props on the etiquette with the H&L guys.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
xahxxx
alvin

Send a message via AIM to xahxxx

wow u guys hit the jackpot paddy!
xahxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Scolinos
is the ocean's lover

nice clean-up guys. Looks like it was a blast

Motivation fueled by Obsession
Scolinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Freedro
lost gringo

Wow! Great story and very well told. Richard deserved a great day on the water. Pics are unbelievable for a first attempt. Congrats, Kennen, you've got yourself a gallery in my computer.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
CAMPILLOS
Fredy Campos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennenmackay View Post
mo betta pics... first time using the UW camera.
You better check the camera settings it seems to have an issue showing the background on the pics.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Scott Diego
Ocean Bound

Awesome story... Man I wish I was in the water right now and NOT sitting at my desk...

-Scott

http://www.darnellcapital.com

"hasta la victoria siempre"
Scott Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Holy Mackerel

nice job Ken!

Chris

aka Holy Mackerel
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Mike Eberhardt
Colonel

Sick Ken! You guys killed it! And a skippy to boot? Sounds like a killer day
Mike Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
nowhere2go

sick trip!!!
nowhere2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
Kelsea
judge of my domain

Thank you for sharing your story and your pictures - I look forward to the day where I might have a chance to do a dive like this
Old 08-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #13
Freedro
lost gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsea View Post
I look forward to the day where I might have a chance to do a dive like this
I'm sure you would get plenty of offers if you posted something like "Will Anyone Take Me Paddy Hopping?" There's always someone who needs another diver onboard.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #14
Fis_Hunter

congrats looked like a great trip.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
MACKFISH

Nice grade of yellers there felllers.Congrats on a great day.