Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #1
Smesh

Abellan Denton & Albacore Band Stretch Per Model

With all the changes from Denton 120 to 110 and then Denton to Albacore, can we get a some specs of the current models with regards to overall length and band stretch to each shark fin? That would be fantastic. Any of you Denton owners willing to measure your guns and post up the info?
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver
Re: Abellan Denton & Albacore Band Stretch Per Model

Denton 110 is 54 total inches from muzzle to butt. 122 inch bandstretch
Denton 120 is 58; 132 bandstretch
Albacore 130 is 62 inches, 142 bandstretch

Albacore can fire 11/32 and 8.5mm shafts
Denton line 8mm and smaller shafts
Old 09-22-2016, 12:24 AM   #3
Smesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdiver View Post
Denton 110 is 54 total inches from muzzle to butt. 122 inch bandstretch
Denton 120 is 58; 132 bandstretch
Albacore 130 is 62 inches, 142 bandstretch

Albacore can fire 11/32 and 8.5mm shafts
Denton line 8mm and smaller shafts
Thanks dude.

Okay so that measurement is to the furthest sharkfin or to the mech? I guess it all depends on the shaft and how far back the sharkfin is?

I could have sworn Maj tested the Denton 120 and (now) 110 with 8.5mm shafts. I also thought there was an albacore 140. Is that now called the Albacore 130 but with 142cm band stretch?
Old 09-22-2016, 04:10 AM   #4
spearq8

I think I am the unintentional source of a lot of the confusion. I tested a Denton 120 when it was called that at the time. I then built a couple of replicas of a Denton 120 out of teak wood, but added 20cm in length and carbon fiber wrapped them and called them the Denton 140 (that gun does not exist for sale). A newer version of the Denton with much beefier stock and much more added mass was made and was called the "Albacore" version. When I first got that gun the Albacore name still did not exist ... so I just called it the Denton 130 in my youtube tests as it was only 10 cm longer than my Denton 120 (although much higher mass).

Recently Victor from Abellan decided to use a different sizing and naming scheme ... now the older 120 guns are 110 guns. The Denton is the thinner profile and the Albacore is the high mass version. On the new guns band stretch is about 12cm more than the coding name ... so a new 110 gun actually has 122cm of band stretch. I guess a lot of people were disappointed at how compact the 120 guns were. What makes a huge difference is whether the gun is a Denton or an Albacore. One is low mass the other is high mass. The Denton is setup with 2 x 15mm small ID bands while the Albacore is set with 3 x 14mm small ID bands.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
frankt
apneist

Smesh buy a denton u won't be disappointed
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smesh View Post
Thanks dude.

Okay so that measurement is to the furthest sharkfin or to the mech? I guess it all depends on the shaft and how far back the sharkfin is?

I could have sworn Maj tested the Denton 120 and (now) 110 with 8.5mm shafts. I also thought there was an albacore 140. Is that now called the Albacore 130 but with 142cm band stretch?
The measurements are actual stretch, to the last shark fin. For the Denton models the shafts are made with the shark fins as far back as possible on the flopper shafts. To the mech is only another 2cm or so.

Majd explained why the change in model name. People were getting the old 120 and complaining the gun was too small although it had the same stretch. They were used to 120's being longer/bigger so they would think "I could have gotten a 130cm and it would have been perfect." The name was changed to match the overall size of most guns. History kinda proved divers will get away with the biggest gun they want to use even if a smaller gun met the power requirements.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
spearq8

The Abellan guns use an extremely efficient design when it comes to gun size. You can see here a picture of the Denton 110 (used to be 120), the Denton 130 (142cm band stretch) ... next to those two guns is a Riffe Euro 120X. You can see why a lot of people would be disappointed if they have a Riffe Euro 120X and order the older Abellan 120 thinking it would be about the same size as their Riffe Euro. The Riffe Euro 120X with 120cm band stretch actually uses more gun real estate than the 142 cm band stretch Denton replica I made.

However don't let the size of the gun fool you ... it is very efficient in performance as well.

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:23 AM   #8
Smesh

Thanks guys. Yeah I realize now that much of the band stretch comes from the shark fins being so far back. It seems that the top plate of the mech is cut away so expose more of the shaft and just barely covers the notch for the sear. Then the shark fin is about 1/2" or so from the top plate. I'm trying to compare to my Oceanborn, but I'm using a Mori shaft with 3 shark fins and the 1st shark fin is quite far away from the mech compared to the Abellan. I would guess I could get about 2" more stretch which would make my 125 about 132.5cm of stretch, the gun is 150cm overall if I recall correctly but the the Abellan has the bands in front of the muzzle instead of in slots behind the very front of it. I've been using a 5/16" (8mm) shaft but I think I'm going to get a custom 11/32" (8.7mm) shaft made with a shorter scallop and fins further back and test it out before j give up on it. One of the things I've always wanted is the ability to add a GoPro to the gun and I didn't want to drill the carbon. It was another reason to try and Abellan, but I just found a Sigalsub mount for the Bluetec so I ordered it and I'm going to try it and a heavier shaft before I abandon it for the Abellan. I have to expose the pins for the mech, but I'm okay with it. The 8mm shoots great but I figure if it can handle the heavier shaft, it's worth trying as it will handle cable better and if I neck it down I can use my 5/16" slip tips. Maybe I'll get a smaller model to try out.