Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
massdiver

Training

Anyone interested in an online training partner? I don't have time to really meet up in person but I think it would be cool to have someone to compare notes with and to push/motivate eachother.
massdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Qdiver911
"Q" is for Quahog!

Re: Training

a lot of have routines, daily exercises. Be more specific..i'd be interested. But I am surrounded by professionals you would rather deal with..
Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Muzzy
Fish Killin' Swamp Yankee

Send a message via MSN to Muzzy

Yesterdays training:

18 beers.
24 Hot Chicken wings (W/ Blue Cheese).
Bowl of Greg's Chili. (very good I may add)
Corn Chips with Salsa.
Two Shots of Whiskey.

If I keep this up, I'll be back in diving shape in no time.... Thank God the Super Bowl is only once a year!
Muzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
massdiver

Just looking to share routines and track progress with someone.... Running, weights, tables, personal best attempts at static apnea, etc

Looking to just email with someone about what they are doing and what I am doing. Nothing too serious, but my girlfriend is pretty sick of me telling her about how long i can hold my breath for.
massdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Qdiver911
"Q" is for Quahog!

Anson, Spoken like a true Irishman! I feel like such a nerd, did'nt even have a drink yesterday!!! But I did manage to indulge in sesame dusted Ahi with soy and wasabe'! That def. beats the ass of your chix wings!! But Gregs chili, I heard is absolutely killer.

You own the firewood. I will take the propane too if you were serious, we're gonna need it. I have a 30 and 3,12lbrs. We're gonna need yours bro. I have the turkey fryer pot for bugs, shellfish, the grill for everything else and a grate on the patio fire. Bring your cast iron skillet! Seared striper with italian herbs........... mm,mm,mm.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
fishyak
Going deeper!

how about we just start our thread here now? open to everyone?

i can do a static of 4:20 if i work up to it, my PB is 4:27, i have a pullup bar in the door to my room and do 5 or so every time i come or go, and i try to run 2 or 3 times a week (20-30 mins) and underwater hockey when i can afford it (1 or 2 times a week) and an average of 30 mins a day in the shop making guns!!

all this on top of a vigorous daydreaming schedule!

"You gotta watch out if you don't know where you're goin', you just might not get there." -Yogi Berra
fishyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
msuzuki126
Matt

Send a message via AIM to msuzuki126

I can talk weights if you want to...
msuzuki126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Muzzy
Fish Killin' Swamp Yankee

Send a message via MSN to Muzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyak View Post
how about we just start our thread here now? open to everyone?

i can do a static of 4:20 if i work up to it, my PB is 4:27, i have a pullup bar in the door to my room and do 5 or so every time i come or go, and i try to run 2 or 3 times a week (20-30 mins) and underwater hockey when i can afford it (1 or 2 times a week) and an average of 30 mins a day in the shop making guns!!

all this on top of a vigorous daydreaming schedule!
At 4:20 I could only hold my breath for about 15 seconds, then I'd cough and all the smoke would come out! Then I'd pass it to the next guy!
Muzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
Bill McIntyre

I have no idea how long I could hold my breath out of water. I don't like to do it because it makes me feel breathless, and I don't like that.

But I do try to ride my bike a few days per week- today I went 33 miles- ride the stationary bike most other days for 30 to 45 minutes, lift weights every third day, and run a bit. My resting heart rate is about 38-40.

I don't do any diving-specific exercises, but then I'm not a great diver. On the other hand, I'm 70, and I'm freediving a bit better than I was at 57 when I came back from years in the wilderness of scuba, and I got my personal best white sea bass last year at 69, so I must not be doing too much wrong.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
bikewrench

Bill don't forget that you do a lot of sparring with the "right" side.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Kevin Sheets

You can email me if you want to compare routines. I suggest that you look for someone who is close to your age and build though everyone is different. I can tell you that your training should be sport specific. For instance weight lifting will increase strength, size, and metabolism, but do nothing for your anaerobic ability or your breath hold.
I suggest you mix it up with things you find enjoyable and demanding.
Try the following:
  • underwater hockey for breathhold ,lung capacity and recovery time
  • spin classes for aerobic and anaerobic recovery
  • lap swimming
  • hypoxic pool training (Navy Seal Routine--don't do alone)
  • underwater laps with surface recovery laps
  • biking
  • running
Feel free to email me at wksheets@gmail.com

Go to this websitehttp://www.stewsmith.com
Kevin Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Interestingly, I posted awhile back ago something similiar. Kevin Sheets sugg's. are pretty good, I also would add some "gymjones" routines (take a dip into my blog for some youtube samples). I use to only wt train at the gym, but have begun to incorporate other training routines as mentioned by KS sport specific, and have noticed alot more improvements in my diving, good luck, and remember any pool training should be buddied up.
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
celtmaverick

where do you guys do underwater hockey, and why is Gabe saying it's expensive?
celtmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Kevin Sheets

Gabe is a poor ass college kid, who is investing his money in education, spearguns, beer and broads,,,though maybe not in that order. The pool cost is $10.00 (the first time is free), this goes to the pool owner for the use of the water. We take the entire pool. We require a minimum amount of players to rent the pool. The Avery Point pool is at UCONN, we car pool down. It is excellent!!!! The other pools are East Lyme---huge pool, 12 ft deep, again car pool, and Warwick on Thursdays (a small cement pool / friendly game / less structure to the play).
I compare the cost of the game to what I might otherwise be doing, large pizza, 12 pack of Heineken, movies, gym membership etc. It brings it into perspective more that way. This is good for you and improves your free diving times,,,,to me its worth it.

I will caution you though, it is addicting! The more you play, the more you want to play.

PM "needgills" aka Joe Klinger for more details, he is the man to speak to about it.
Kevin Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
clavinr
That's a huge fish!

Good idea, like a blog or something. I've been slacking.

Last week jog 2 miles 2x, kettlebell and pushups 3x, bench and pull ups/chinups 1x, Sun/Mon off.