Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
Bill McIntyre

Re: Save Our Oil Rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasintail View Post
When Al submits this it will fall on deaf ears. Obama hates american oil along with americans.
Actually, Obama loves me even if he doesn't love you, but that's beside the point.

My understanding of the Rigs to Reef program is that it gives states the freedom to save rigs if they meet certain Federal guidelines. How does this petition relate to that? Does it go around it, complement it, or what. What is Jindal's position? What is the position of the state legislature?

Our governator recently signed a bill to save our reefs, and Obama doesn't seem to have blocked him as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Governor Signs Rigs-to-Reefs Bill

Controversial Proposal to Allow Offshore Oil Platforms to Remain Once Dead Becomes Law

Friday, October 1, 2010

After being debated for decades, the proposal to turn offshore oil rigs into underwater reefs for the benefit of marine life is now a California law. That means that, when a rig is decommissioned, oil companies can ask the state to assess the environmental benefits of leaving a portion of it in place. If the state determines there is a net benefit, then a portion of the savings — which would amount to as much as $650 million for the state's 27 rigs — would be kicked from the oilers back to the state coffers.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed the bill on Thursday night after it sailed through the statehouse with very little opposition. In fact, the bill, which was authored by the Speaker of the House John Pérez, nearly passed unanimously; only three state legislators voted against the measure, one of whom was Santa Barbara's Assemblyman Pedro Nava.

Proponents — including scientists who've seen abundant marine life on the rigs, politicians who believe the financial windfall will help the budget-strapped state, recreational fishermen who hope to capture the increasing underwater bounty, and oil companies who stand to save millions — are hailing the law as a victory for marine resources. It was also supported by Audubon California, California League of Conservation Voters, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Ocean Conservancy, Oceana, and The Nature Conservancy.

“This law creates a legacy program for our state’s marine resources,” said Barry Broad, president of the Coalition for Enhanced Marine Resources in a prepared statement. “It preserves the life on the platforms, provides the certainty needed for platform operators to begin the decommissioning and removal process and generates hundreds of millions of dollars specifically for marine programs.”

Opponents — namely, commercial fishermen who worry their gear will snag on underwater debris and environmentalists who believe the bill is a boondoggle for the oil industry — are crying foul. Of the state’s 27 rigs, 20 are located in the Santa Barbara Channel, so the S.B.-based Environmental Defense Center has traditionally been the loudest critic of this plan. “We’re naturally disappointed,” said the EDC’s Linda Krop on Friday upon learning the news. “We think the legislation is misguided and based on assumptions that are not supported by any scientific evidence.”

Krop pointed to a recent state report that highlighted the gaps in information. “We take exception to the assumption that the platforms provide a benefit to the environment when, in fact, there is no scientific consensus on that,” she said. “We also take great exception to the statement that it will encourage platform operators to decommission earlier. All of these platforms are in federal waters, and federal law does not permit that.”

The EDC does not have any plans to sue over the bill, however, because it calls for platforms to be analyzed on a case-by-case basis. “It would be premature to bring any challenge now,” said Krop, who said the future opposition would arise when oil companies apply to leave their rigs in place. “We definitely will be monitoring this as platforms are ready to be decommissioned.”

According to a recent survey, some rigs may be ready for decommissioning as soon as 2015.
But this bill provides for rigs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Does this petition ask that all rigs be saved, period?
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #17
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
Actually, Obama loves me even if he doesn't love you, but that's beside the point.

My understanding of the Rigs to Reef program is that it gives states the freedom to save rigs if they meet certain Federal guidelines. How does this petition relate to that? Does it go around it, complement it, or what. What is Jindal's position? What is the position of the state legislature?

Our governator recently signed a bill to save our reefs, and Obama doesn't seem to have blocked him as far as I can tell.

But this bill provides for rigs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Does this petition ask that all rigs be saved, period?
Bill click YES, or shut the fuk up.

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rossignol View Post
Bill click YES, or shut the fuk up.
OK, so you don't want to answer any questions? Fuk off then. I voted no.

I realize that the local crowd down there is supposed to just follow your orders, but if you want support from other places, it might be nice to explain things. We aren't all so well trained.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
OK, so you don't want to answer any questions? Fuk off then. I voted no.

I realize that the local crowd down there is supposed to just follow your orders, but if you want support from other places, it might be nice to explain things. We aren't all so well trained.
You are a TOOL of the EDF, good for you. You have just shown everyone here your spots.

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #20
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rossignol View Post
You are a TOOL of the EDF, good for you. You have just shown everyone here your spots.
Yep, that's me. I want to outlaw spear fishing too. Can I get your vote? Don't ask questions. Just vote yes or **** off.

I'm sure you don't plan a career in politics, but I'll give you some advice just in case. If you want someone to vote for you or from some cause and he asks for clarification, its better to eat your pride and answer rather than saying "sign hear or **** off." It may make you feel like a big man to act that way, but its not likely to get votes. I'm glad we have a bill to save rigs here in California, and maybe it would be good if you had one too. But there is a national "Rigs to Reef" program (Google it) and I wanted to know what relationship your program had to it. But since it was beneath you to answer questions, I wondered what you were hiding.

And it doesn't help to have your alter boy Nick saying that Obama hates all Americans. A lot of people who voted for him don't think he hates all Americans, so they don't take kindly to a redneck drunk saying that he does.

And while it may be hard for you to believe, a lot of people who don't think he hates Americans are really for saving rigs. But if they are human, they may change their minds about rigs when the boss won't answer simple questions and his boy tells them that Obama hates them.

But hell, I'm sure no political consultant, so take that for whatever you think its worth. Meanwhile, its easy for me to walk over to my wife's computer and vote no just because you told me to shut the **** up and do what you tell me to do. It will take more trouble for me to call all my non-diving relatives and friends and tell them to vote "no" too, and maybe I won't get around to it. Or maybe I will.

I'll sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning about some leader who cares more about looking tough that he does about his cause.

Last edited by Bill McIntyre; 11-08-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #21
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
Yep, that's me. I want to outlaw spear fishing too. Can I get your vote? Don't ask questions. Just vote yes or **** off.

I'm sure you don't plan a career in politics, but I'll give you some advice just in case. If you want someone to vote for you or from some cause and he asks for clarification, its better to eat your pride and answer rather than saying "sign hear or **** off." It may make you feel like a big man to act that way, but its not likely to get votes. I'm glad we have a bill to save rigs here in California, and maybe it would be good if you had one too. But there is a national "Rigs to Reef" program (Google it) and I wanted to know what relationship your program had to it. But since it was beneath you to answer questions, I wondered what you were hiding.

And it doesn't help to have your alter boy Nick saying that Obama hates all Americans. A lot of people who voted for him don't think he hates all Americans, so they don't take kindly to a redneck drunk saying that he does.

And while it may be hard for you to believe, a lot of people who don't think he hates Americans are really for saving rigs. But if they are human, they may change their minds about rigs when the boss won't answer simple questions and his boy tells them that Obama hates them.

But hell, I'm sure no political consultant, so take that for whatever you think its worth. Meanwhile, its easy for me to walk over to my wife's computer and vote no just because you told me to shut the **** up and do what you tell me to do. It will take more trouble for me to call all my non-diving relatives and friends and tell them to vote "no" too, and maybe I won't get around to it. Or maybe I will.

I'll sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning about some leader who cares more about looking tough that he does about his cause.
I'm not reading any of your bullshit that's 50 words or more. BTW, the reason I didn't respond, I was out SPEARFISHING, why don't you try that sometime lame ass.

Last edited by Louis Rossignol; 11-09-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #22
chasintail
Hell Diver

Rok,is Denny sending this out as well?
chasintail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
FredT

Bill,

YOU can check the history of the rig leasing rules without us spoon feeding you. If you dig up the original data you might actually remember it too.

To save a bit of time the highlights are:

1. Original leasing required the rigs to be removed to placate the net dragger fishermen.
2. Hook and line guys got the specific approval to fish them, up front.
3. The rigs turned into significant oasis points since we have VERY limited natural rock bottoms between Mobile and Brownsville.
4. Fishermen now want the rigs to stay since even the net draggers find increased catches in areas with rigs.
5. MMS is DEMANDING the rigs be removed due to lease requirements, decreasing the near shore habitat for the "endangered" grouper and snapper populations. IF the removal rules are strictly applied, as they now are, effectively all rigs in range of the recreational citizen owned boats will be removed this decade.

The solution is to grant a moratorium, at the rig operators option, on rig removal until the Govt actually gets off it's collective asses and does the research to prove to themselves that rigs actually hold fish. WE coastal folks have been begging for the research to be done for for the last 20 years. Or perhaps one of the top honchos could ACTUALLY go look at one. Ask Rok what happened the last time he took a Gulf Council fisheries biologist out for a "look see," but be prepared for the justly deserved rant that will follow.

Last edited by FredT; 11-09-2010 at 11:38 AM.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
jetro

[quote=Bill McIntyre;1316339]Yep, that's me. I want to outlaw spear fishing too. Can I get your vote? Don't ask questions. Just vote yes or **** off.

Bill,
I think the point was to read information given at the linked site, make a decision and vote. If the site doesn't provide enough information for you personally to make a decision, feel free to do your own research. Most of us don't have the time to babysit an old codger. we have jobs, families, and diving to tend to. So pretty please with sugar on top, vote yes you prick.

For everyone else, your support is apreciated.

jetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #25
gcracker89

I voted only 393 votes so far, come on spero's.
Roc What a great web site great graphics lots of info and videos of the rigs makes us sand divers look foward to the time we can come vist the Hell Divers and dive these bad boys.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 AM   #26
BenSpearing

Wow, so Bill asks a question about something he might be putting his name on and you guys support, and because he didn't just click "yes" and shut the hell up you guys treat him like ass...he even gave you guys some info about how some rigs are already being saved in California. I disagree with that old man on a lot of stuff, but I'm never just an outright dick just because it's easier then answering a question from someone from a different state. Way to win some support guys. I'll be living in that general area in a year or so...hope not to see any of you out on the water. If there is a "head-honcho" spearo out there...I don't care...I do what I do and don't need some self important whiners permission to enjoy the ocean around me.
BenSpearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #27
kvzeyde

Quote:

From the referenced site regarding SAVE OUR OIL RIGS:

Vote Here To Save The Gulf Oil Rigs
Yes! Keep the oil rigs in place and in tact for fishing and other energy sources.
No! Tear down the rigs, cut them up and take them to the scrap yard.

pollcode.com free polls

You have to ask 4 questions about this subject before you can decide whether to vote for, against, or to abstain??

kvzeyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #28
jetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvzeyde View Post
From the referenced site regarding SAVE OUR OIL RIGS:

Vote Here To Save The Gulf Oil Rigs
Yes! Keep the oil rigs in place and in tact for fishing and other energy sources.
No! Tear down the rigs, cut them up and take them to the scrap yard.

pollcode.com free polls

You have to ask 4 questions about this subject before you can decide whether to vote for, against, or to abstain??

Yea, me too.

I didn't see much there to debate. Then there's Bill...
jetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #29
ROCKHIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT View Post
Bill,

YOU can check the history of the rig leasing rules without us spoon feeding you. If you dig up the original data you might actually remember it too.

To save a bit of time the highlights are:

1. Original leasing required the rigs to be removed to placate the net dragger fishermen.
2. Hook and line guys got the specific approval to fish them, up front.
3. The rigs turned into significant oasis points since we have VERY limited natural rock bottoms between Mobile and Brownsville.4. Fishermen now want the rigs to stay since even the net draggers find increased catches in areas with rigs.
5. MMS is DEMANDING the rigs be removed due to lease requirements, decreasing the near shore habitat for the "endangered" grouper and snapper populations. IF the removal rules are strictly applied, as they now are, effectively all rigs in range of the recreational citizen owned boats will be removed this decade.

The solution is to grant a moratorium, at the rig operators option, on rig removal until the Govt actually gets off it's collective asses and does the research to prove to themselves that rigs actually hold fish. WE coastal folks have been begging for the research to be done for for the last 20 years. Or perhaps one of the top honchos could ACTUALLY go look at one. Ask Rok what happened the last time he took a Gulf Council fisheries biologist out for a "look see," but be prepared for the justly deserved rant that will follow.
The highlighted line was going to be my comment, people just don't get what these structures can hold as far as sea life. Anybody who is thinking to vote no needs to realize they are voting to destroy what valuable ecosystems these structure have become.
ROCKHIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #30
ROCKHIND

Oh yeah, I voted.
ROCKHIND is offline   Reply With Quote