Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Ron S

New JBL high end guns?

I just spoke to a local dive shop today and they said they've seen some of the new JBL stuff, including a couple new guns that are very similar to Riffe's. Jason at the shop said the new guns are very fancy wood guns, mid-handled, with finned single flopper shafts and open muzzles. He told me the guns will probably retail at under $400. Anybody know anything about this?
Thanks,
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
NOTANX
shane, snorkologist

Re: New JBL high end guns?

is there such a thing as a high end jbl? if you want a riffe, buy a riffe!

Palm Beach Freedivers
flfreedivers.com
Rob Allen Railguns
NOTANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
Scubaru
Texas Shooters

They are called JBL Elite. Wood guns, open muzzle, sharkfin tabbed spears, dacron wishboned bands, but I have heard prices in mid to low 400's.

RFA Texas member
www.rfatexas.org

New FRA member
Scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
bug_power
Team Jetty Jumper!

saw them down here I thought they were riffes! Spoke to some guys about them this weekend.
bug_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Ron S

The shop said JBL has really changed their product line and added some cool stuff. He said their catalog is up to date and very impressive, but their darn website hasn't been updated in decades. I for one don't have a problem with JBL's stuff, but would like to see them update the guns. I guess I'll have to pick up a catalog next time I get to town.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #6
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

This reminds me, not too long ago I was at Sport Chalet and I saw some weird JBL. It was the usual jbl-type gun, but it was all blue and had the rail already installed. 2 bands, same thick-ass shaft and everything but it was all blue and railed. It was called the lightning or something like that and looked to be about 90cm. It wasn't too bad price-wise, like $180.

Any idea on what kind of wood/lamination these new JBL's have?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
Polystigma
No Bananas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy
This reminds me, not too long ago I was at Sport Chalet and I saw some weird JBL. It was the usual jbl-type gun, but it was all blue and had the rail already installed. 2 bands, same thick-ass shaft and everything but it was all blue and railed. It was called the lightning or something like that and looked to be about 90cm. It wasn't too bad price-wise, like $180.

Any idea on what kind of wood/lamination these new JBL's have?

Sounds like one of these custom JBL guns.

http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/shops...rguns_jbl.html
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
jfjf

You would think that JBL would use this board to help introduce their new product line. You think they might not like the questions some people would ask?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #9
Scubaru
Texas Shooters

JBL doesn't even use their own website to promote their new product line, or some of their existing ones.

RFA Texas member
www.rfatexas.org

New FRA member
Scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy

I think they realize that the bulk of us here are wasted advertising/merchandising dollars since most of their sales probably come from first timers who walk into XY dive shop and buy a JBL because it is cheap and on the shelf. If any of the said newbies came here first, 99.9% of the time they will be steered away from a JBL if that is what they are asking about and turned towards some euro gun or SS or something.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
Megabeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf
You would think that JBL would use this board to help introduce their new product line. You think they might not like the questions some people would ask?
I think they have alot of image/PR work to do. Most people equate the term "JBL Spearguns" with "mediocrity". If the owner of JBL came on here and asked for input, he would have alot of negativity coming his way. I don't think he wants to deal with that.

Their website is a joke. I've been a dealer for them for 3 years and I'm still not on the website. After several phone calls about this (because of course my competition is listed) and nothing was resolved, I took the majority of my dollars elsewhere (SS). I think SS makes a much better speargun anyway.
Megabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTANX
is there such a thing as a high end jbl? if you want a riffe, buy a riffe!
You don't think JBL is capable of making a higher quality gun? That's just ludicrous.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:52 PM   #13
Ron S

Mnguy,
The Lightning gun you saw is an Explorer model anodized blue with the rail installed. I've heard it can be had with a single flopper shaft and single 5/8" band, but I've never seen one.
The LDS read off the types of wood being used on the new higher end guns, but they were some kind of exotics I'd never heard of and now I don't remember what they were.
Personally I don't have a strong opinion of JBL either way, but I'd like to see an American company take a bit more of the American market away from the Euros. Recon I'm just a redneck...
Ron.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #14
SeaWeed
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Deeper Blue
JBL Spearguns is displaying five new guns this week at the DEMA Show in Las Vegas. The five are part of the JBL Elite series, with features that include zebra wood construction, fabric bands and carbide triggers.

The guns' names range from XHD Magnum, XHD Sawed-off, Gulf Magnum XHD to 450 XHD, the latter two featuring a camouflage finish.
Found this on deeper blue, no pictures though.
SeaWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
titaniumdiver
Non discript" H20 avatar

I talked to Guy a few months ago about the new guns.....He said that he would indeed post the pics of the new designs here. He said they had some hoops to jump through on some issues but that the guns were a real step up from the basic voit,healthways, jbl that we know....I wish him all the luck with the new line.

Congrats on the new line Guy!

Voits,Healthways,Sportways,Jbl's have probably killed more fish than any other brand out there. The design has been around for a looong time....