Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
Ron S

Spectra wishbones for small ID bands?

I have some 1.9mm spectra wishbone material and want to make up some small ID 14mm bands for my Rob Allen guns. I don’t want to use any of the inserts available and would like to just use knotted wishbones. Is this working for folks, and if so, is there a particular knot I should use?
Thanks,
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:17 AM   #2
spearq8

Re: Spectra wishbones for small ID bands?

Just do a simple over hand knot and burn the ends to make a nice neat ball. Then dip the end and part of the stem with one or two coats of electric tape, while waiting to dry between coats. The idea is to prevent water migration inside your bands inner hole once you dive and resurface (acts like a pump and sucks water in) ... so your liquid electric tape should go above your band tie knot. If you don't have electric tape you could get some aquarium silicone and squeeze some in the band hole and then on the knot and stem and insert it. Very messy but also works. Best of course is to use some metal or plastic insert that allows a very good water proof seal around the insert. With those I recommend you use silicone or O ring grease.

I have drop tested both these systems at 300 feet of water with no water migration in the bands... so should be good to at least that depth.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #3
Ron S

Thank you sir!
That’s actually pretty much how I’ve made the bands for my Riffe guns, but using much thicker line and dipping the knots in 5 minute epoxy. I tried the same technique awhile back with small ID rubber and Rob Allen wishbone line, but either my knots were too small, or my constrictors were too loose. They slipped out when I loaded them. I ended up using the, “Meandros Synthetic Strainers”, which worked well enough, just really stretched out the rubber.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:54 AM   #4
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Thank you sir!
That’s actually pretty much how I’ve made the bands for my Riffe guns, but using much thicker line and dipping the knots in 5 minute epoxy. I tried the same technique awhile back with small ID rubber and Rob Allen wishbone line, but either my knots were too small, or my constrictors were too loose. They slipped out when I loaded them. I ended up using the, “Meandros Synthetic Strainers”, which worked well enough, just really stretched out the rubber.

By far the best line for tying constrictor knots is kevlar. I bought a big batch of 200 lb kevlar line a while back and still use it. Spearitco has some of the stuff with wax added ... which is even better but is quite expensive. I am willing to bet that if you switch to the Spearitco waxed kevlar line your constrictor knots will never fail. I have used it on 20mm large ID rubber on steel wishbones !!! Just remember to wet the line and rubber and tie the knot in a slow firm way until it stops. Don't push too hard ... no need to do so with kevlar as the knot will not mini slip like other lines. Again ... I have never had a knot slip with this line ... it is just not an issue. Only downside is that once you make the knot it is almost impossible to take it off.

https://www.spearitco.com/Original-K.../line-ke10.htm
Old 03-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #5
jfjf

I like these. They should last for ever.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
By far the best line for tying constrictor knots is kevlar. I bought a big batch of 200 lb kevlar line a while back and still use it. Spearitco has some of the stuff with wax added ... which is even better but is quite expensive. I am willing to bet that if you switch to the Spearitco waxed kevlar line your constrictor knots will never fail. I have used it on 20mm large ID rubber on steel wishbones !!! Just remember to wet the line and rubber and tie the knot in a slow firm way until it stops. Don't push too hard ... no need to do so with kevlar as the knot will not mini slip like other lines. Again ... I have never had a knot slip with this line ... it is just not an issue. Only downside is that once you make the knot it is almost impossible to take it off.

I have an idea the type of line I’m using for my constrictors is a big part of the problem. I’m kinda embarrassed to say that I’m using waxed dacron bowstring thread, doubled up. It’s really slick and probably does slip some. I just ordered some small ID band material from the Spearit Store on Amazon for my 90cm gun. They have the kevlar you mentioned at a good price and I almost ordered that too. I plan to just use the inserts I have for now, and may buy more in the future if I like the small ID rubber.
Thanks again!
Ron.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post

I'm interested in trying out the waxed kevlar, but read that the ends aren't able to be burned. Do you leave them cut as-is?
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 01:16 AM   #8
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
I'm interested in trying out the waxed kevlar, but read that the ends aren't able to be burned. Do you leave them cut as-is?
You can't burn the end of kevlar as it is made from aramid fibers. So you need a mini kevlar shear or kevlar scissor to cut it properly (electrician scissors will do it also). You pull hard on the end and snip at the very edge as short as possible.

Here is a type of scissor that cuts Kevlar cleanly.

https://estore.twinline-usa.com/prod...evlar-scissors
Old 03-09-2021, 04:08 AM   #9
Mikel_24

I use the nylon cord used to fix fishing nets. I wax it with a candle before tying and the ends can be burned. Never had a problem and does not get any cheaper.

I checked the kevlar product you guys mentioned and seems quite expensive for what it is... IMHO

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #10
spearomurray

Kevlar is overkill, and is a pain to work with and cut. I find it hard to imagine a scenario where dyneema wouldn't perform just fine as a wishbone. I use small ID rubber on all my gun builds, and each of those bands has a knotted dyneema wishbone, never had one slip out. I use an ashley stopper knot, and tighten the piss out of it with pliers. I then dip the knot in super glue. I insert with a set of hemostats and a healthy amount of 100% silicone lube. Though I haven't had a big issue with water infiltration; dipping in liquid e-tape might be better in this regard.
spearomurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #11
spearomurray

Second what Mikel said about nylon line for constrictor knots. Works great and is super cheap. Neptonics also sells a grey tie-line that's a bit thicker. Have started using that and like it. It's thicker than the braided nylon and is cored, so it's easier to get purchase on it when you're tightening the constrictor knot. Unsure what material it is, but probably nylon.
spearomurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:16 AM   #12
Mikel_24

Oh! And regarding the know, instead of an overhand know, I make a diamond knot. Rounder shape, a bit bigger (required if you use 1,5mm dyneema,) and never got one pull out.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #13
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

We've had very good luck with these, they work great on the small ID latex band material

https://makospearguns.com/q8-stainle...-16-id-tubing/

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote