Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Clayton713
Clayton713

Boat Question

I've been looking at rigid inflatable from about 15'-19'. My thinking is that it would be a solid setup adequate for island day trips. Easy entry and exit, light ride with super deep v, good gas mileage and high speed (30-45).I've come up with a lot of pros to getting an inflatable but I'd be interested to hear any cons you guys know about them from experience.

Also, I'd be interested to know if any of you guys have any leads on people selling one.
Clayton713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
retrosub
Mario Korf

Re: Boat Question

Post in the Boats section, there's not nearly enough going on in there. We had some discussion on inflatables a while ago, and some comments and pictures of RIBS. See http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=37428
Old 01-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
JDoe

I considered on during the summer and for the same price you can get a nice center console. I forget the name of the boat, but I thought that it was Boston Whaler's bottom of the line. Maybe it was called "pro-line" or "trophy", I totally forgot.

It's an option.
JDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
lost@sea
Tall Can Santa

Clayton, I sent you a PM. White inflatable in Puertocitos was mine. No better boat for hit and run missions. They handle eveything. Gear and weather are the only limiting factors. Cheers
lost@sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
jjhollin

Hey Clayton,

Here are my two cents...

My first boat out here was a new Zodiac Futura Mark III (15 foot) with a 50 Yamaha. It was not a RIB though. I really liked it on flat days, but any chop and my back was hurting...bad. I would imagine that it would be somewhat better with a RIB, but not very comfortable for longer trips, like the islands and offshore. How deep of a vee can you get with an inflatable? I was so sick of getting pounded by the slapping of the bow that I had to sell it.

I had the idea of beach launching it all the time, but the boat was just too heavy. I suppose I could have figured a way to do it, but it would be a pain. A big RIB would be even harder due to the extra weight.

Big, nice RIBs are so expensive. I think they are a bit overrated. 40K could get you a hell of a fiberglass pilot house, which I think is one of the more ideal boat types for local and offshore diving, like the Parkers.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...46&searchtype=

I have rode on the Navy's 30 footers and those things are sweet though. Probably a little out of most peoples price range. Have you seen Zodiac's civilian version? That thing is sick.

http://www.zodiaccz7.com/

If I could give any advice about buying a boat, I would say take it out on sea trial, in hopefully less than ideal conditions. See how it handle on crappy days, becuase odds are you'll be out in crappy conditions more times than not.

Whatever you end up going with, I'll be more than happy to come out and kill things with you.

Jake
jjhollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Polystigma
No Bananas!

No matter what boat you buy right now you are gonna realize you want something different down the line. No boat ever fulfills anyones needs and we always dream of that bigger and better one.

For the kind of money you are throwing down on a freaking inflatable.

I would strongly suggest you look at The Seaswirl Stripers. For about the same price as the inflatable you can get a nice 21fter. A 21ft striper is all about offshore and island trips.
Polystigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
irikawa

for summer diving or mexico, go inflatable...14+, don't matter the keel, save 1000's on storage, trailer, gas and outboard headaches. They are good from March til November, plenty.

If you have a deep pocket buy whatever you please, but if you are budget minded, consider
price of gas, storage, size, diving party size.
all that is more expensive on traditional boats, not to mention cleaning and maintenance. an inflatable you wash it, roll it, pack it. The outboar can be serviced by yourself in your garage. a traditional boat requires more cleaning and servicing an inboard can, is more difficult
irikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Steve-o
whiskey and sand

A RIB would make a nice day tripper I agree. But depending on your budget, a regular old center console might be easier to obtain. Survey and then seatrial in at least whitecaps. Boat lust is a lot of fun, but if you plan things right you can keep it for a long time. My boat is perfect for what I do, and I'll probably still have it in another ten years.

Farallon 25 187
Steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
Clayton713
Clayton713

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not sure where yall got the idea I am considering spending $40G's on an inflatable, but to clarify I'm not. I've been shopping them pretty hard and I would expect to be able to get about 17' of boat with 115 hp for a little over $12,000.

That kind of boat will have a range in excess of 100 miles, seats for 4, get speeds 30-45 and still store deflated on a trailer in a small garage. Of course I want a parker or striper or radon, or for that matter an aircraft carrier, but they won't fit in my garage and I can't afford them. Hopefully someday a 17' foot inflatable will be a tender for my big boat, but by then I'll probably have a wife who's ruined all my fun anyway.
Clayton713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
mokaction
Larry Caragay

I have a 19 footer for 10k Welcraft for sale. What to see??

http://www.luvjoy.com/boat/index.htm

Larry
mokaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
JDoe

Calyton, why don't you try one of the smaller inflatables that are on the CA section. I thought I saw some under $1k. See if you like it. Have you been in one before?

Of course you can make it to Catalina on that inflatable. I went to Avalon from Newport on my Sea Doo, but I couldn't walk normal for two weeks. Who knows what it would feel like going on an inflatable. Maybe someone here knows?
JDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #12
Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton713
I want...an aircraft carrier...
Cool! Call me when you get it. I've always wanted to do catapult launches in my speedos.
Prodigal Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #13
Bob Ballew

Hold out for an enclosed cabin deep v boat ..in head on swells and wind, an inflatable is miserable and wet plus it can flip...a couple of those trips and you will have it up for sale..sitting hunched up with limited visibility for hours on end soon wears thin..for a long life (yours) buy a sea going boat and then, throw an inflatable on top for your emergency life raft..if it it too expensive for the budget currently, consider finding a couple of partners..you will far happier with less hard learned lessons...been there, done that..if you are really determined, then, click on e-bay..motors...boats...inflatables..there is a 15' military inflatable that looks pretty decent...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:20 AM   #14
irikawa

go to Sunset inflatables sales
They have a section for used and clearance ribs and inflatable at a good price, there is a 19 zodiac rib with 115 HP that looks pretty darn good.. That thing will get you to catalina flat or choppy, easy trailer, low maintenance and they last a bunch and you dont even have to worry much about because is a rib = less punctures

My two cents
you do most of your fishing off the islands in any weather and overnight trips get yourself a nice cabin and enjoy
but if you do coastal diving, occasional island, day trips and want more area exploring, that is you drive to more launch ramps, then inflatable is the deal.. You dont have to tow the monster on the freeway, even if you do is way easier, you can launch anywhere not worrying about the pitch of the ramp, even from the beach. You just drive to San Diego or Santa Barbara drop it, dive it and come back.. easy, with other boats that is a chore, and it gets even worse if you get a 25+ boat
and remember that when shit happens what do big boats and sail boats have for back up?...inflatables
irikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #15
nwagner91

Blake (schaffb) is selling his 8ft

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...highlight=avon

very nice boat, the amount of bass i've caught out of that thing is unbelievable, and i'm sure you could negotiate blake down 100 - 200 dollars