Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Krosys1

Lightbulb How do you safely pack your gear out when you want to return?

Hello all,

I wanted to get anyone insight on how they would safely exit the ocean with all their gear intact.

To give you more insight on why I'm asking is because I went on my first spearfishing trip out of a beach (pretty rough experience which ill post about later) and when we were exiting the water I got crushed by what seemed to be a rogue wave and I lost a fin.

I wanted to know peoples techniques. Do you take your fins off and carry them under one arm and your weapon in the other? Is it better to have some kind of large float device to strap everything to just in case?

I feel that this would help a lot of newcomers, like myself, with insight on what to expect, how to prepare and know what people do.
Krosys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
godluvsall

Re: How do you safely pack your gear out when you want to return?

use one of these and ride the wave in just like a boogie board

DIY Making a Dive Board out of a Bodyboard for Abalone Hunting - YouTube
And use a fin keeper. If you take your fins off, you'll end up loosing both
Old 07-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Murk_Man'22

That's a cool looking board. I just keep my gear on until I hit the beach if its rough , it's a lot easier that way unless its a rocky coast line , in which case I try not to get bashed and get in water that is about knee deep water slip my Finns off and tuck under my arm tight and use my gun as a walking stick . Or if I'm close enough to shore or some where I can exit the water ill throw my fins up there ( I have plastic fins, wouldn't recommend with any other kind ) mostly it's just practice and nailing down your own technique. It's awkward with fins no matter what u do.

Murk_Man'22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Dannowar

if its super rocky i enter/exit on my belly with my arms out in front of me to protect the dome. like was said, i don't remove or take off anything until i wash up like a beached whale.

if the shore break is pounding, ill turn around (facing the horizon) and duck under the waves until i see a break in the sets. just the waves should bring you in a good amount then i transition to my stomach with my eyes on the shore. go with the ocean.
Dannowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Krosys1

Thanks for all the replies. I really like the boogie board deal. i was also looking at the abalone rafts where you could also store your stuff.
Krosys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
AlexbeeintheUK

As everyone has said, go with the flow, take your time and ride the waves in as shallow as possible before taking any gear off.

I often wrap my floatline around my gun (from butt to muzzle) which keeps my buoy close so it doesn't rip out my hand. I do this before entering the surf zone with my gun unloaded and will also clip off anything else to the buoy that might get tangled or lost like a gopro.
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Karma Trees

I do as many guys here have said already.
Let the current and waves take you back in.
Get in as far as you can with ALL your gear on.

If rocky take the fins off waist deep water or so and put them under ONE arm and let the waves push you into shallower water. you have to be able to stand up and walk/run before the current pulls you back into the rock/reef and the next wave drags you back the other way. So stand walk/run out with gear under ONE arm! I always leave at least one arm free in case i trip and fall I can break the fall.

If its a sandy beach do as Dannowar said just leave EVERYTHING on and let the waves beach your ass like a fatty whale haha.

I've found that if its really big surf or bad rocks and i want to concentrate on my steps/path out, i will clip everything on my stringer (I use a metal hoop stringer clipped to my belt). Fins, gun, etc clipped to the stringer/belt and then focus on floating in on stomach until im comfortably getting getting out with all my gear.
Karma Trees is offline   Reply With Quote