Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #16
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Re: Hog Fish Rule In Affect Jan 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
Look at the numbers anyway, recreational fisherman catch far more hogfish than the commercial sector. I'm not here to argue commercial vs recreational because in the end we're all responsible for the decline in the health of our ocean.
That sounds good if you say it fast and it may be true but what facts do you have to base that on? That is the real problem. Fish stocks may be fine or in tragic shape.... who knows? Until you guys get some accountability measures in place and some viable allowable catch set you are an endangered species as a commercial fisherman. Recreational spearos better get on board as well as you don't want the fishery managers guessing what you are harvesting either. Nobody is immune from fishery mismanagement.... especially if it was caused by under management over a long period of time.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #17
diverlen

Well said
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #18
Fins369

These changes are only in effect for Federal Waters, and have not been approved yet by Secretary of Commerce (info on this is listed on MyFWC website). It will be interesting to see if Florida matches the regulations, or if they change the current regulations.

I've always thought a 3 fish at 15" is a fair recreational limit. And a closed season is a bad idea for tourism. I know a lot of spear fisherman from colder climates that come down in the winter for vacations. Even though the viz isn't great by Florida standards, its still better than the best days up north. Grouper is closed, now hogfish is closed... These people may not come down...
Fins369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
Originalspearch

Quote:
That's just the objective reason (and me being sassy) as to why commercial guys should be able to get more than the average tax paying citizen. I never said I believed we should have unlimited limited access. However I did say that I was all for a trip limit on hogs, 25 pounds is just way too low. Look at the numbers anyway, recreational fisherman catch far more hogfish than the commercial sector. I'm not here to argue commercial vs recreational because in the end we're all responsible for the decline in the health of our ocean.
I was telling my buddy the same thing about total catch weights for commercial vs Recreational. I told him i bet if they made us Rec Spearos record our catch weights on a per trip basis most would be shocked that we as recreational guys and gals take more than the commercial side. Now for me that was just a hunch we won't truly know until the F.W.C. has a more effective way of monitoring recreational harvest records.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #20
Shorediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins369 View Post
These changes are only in effect for Federal Waters, and have not been approved yet by Secretary of Commerce (info on this is listed on MyFWC website). It will be interesting to see if Florida matches the regulations, or if they change the current regulations.

I've always thought a 3 fish at 15" is a fair recreational limit. And a closed season is a bad idea for tourism. I know a lot of spear fisherman from colder climates that come down in the winter for vacations. Even though the viz isn't great by Florida standards, its still better than the best days up north. Grouper is closed, now hogfish is closed... These people may not come down...
So this means the State Waters limit of hogfish will stay the same
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #21
pernicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
That is a ridiculous statement. Should anyone be able to pay $50k to have unlimited access? Of course not but due to the fact the that is the way it is set up for commercial fishing you are now experiencing exactly what was expected to happen. I feel for you guys... I really do, total closures, MPAs, unworkable restrictions, and non commercial fishermen owning permits. I agree with many that your days are numbered. That said if the east coast utilized catch shares, VMS systems and set total allowable recreational and commercial catch limits you would still have promise for continuing to fish for a living.

Quote:
Because we own a $50,000 license that allows us to fish for a living.

True, the price will go up because of this but I don't see it being enough for me to make more money. I can get 100 pounds of hogs on a trip and sell it for $5.50 a pound. The price would have to go up to $20 a pound for me to make the same money.

I have no issue with increased size limits, shit I don't even mind about a closed season, but a 25 pound trip limit kills.
A lot of rec fisherman pay more in taxes in a year than the one-time $50k you paid for that license... Not a valid argument.

We saw this coming for years. People shot more that they can eat, just to feel good about themself or brag on FB.

The issue is that regulator don't to anything proactive to protect fisheries, it's mostly reactive after the fact and go so hard that it's ridiculous. It's not worth it for a rec or commercial to go out a burn gas for a day to catch one hog.

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #22
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernicia View Post

A lot of rec fisherman pay more in taxes in a year than the one-time $50k you paid for that license... Not a valid argument.

We saw this coming for years. People shot more that they can eat, just to feel good about themself or brag on FB.

The issue is that regulator don't to anything proactive to protect fisheries, it's mostly reactive after the fact and go so hard that it's ridiculous. It's not worth it for a rec or commercial to go out a burn gas for a day to catch one hog.
I guess this is what I get for being sassy on the internet with a bunch of middle aged men. That isn't an argument, it's the legal reason why commercial fisherman can get more than recreational people (and none of it goes to waste in exchange for internet glory.

But if you want to argue about taxes and who pays what, my dad pays about 30 percent income tax because he is that good at shooting fish and catching lobster. I will too once I graduate school and have my unlimited tonnage license and pilotage license.

I agree with everything else you have said.

Last edited by kwyoungspear; 09-26-2016 at 01:24 AM.
kwyoungspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #23
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorediver View Post
So this means the State Waters limit of hogfish will stay the same
The FWC will decide if they want to have similar requirements, but for now, yes. Expect change in the gulf as well.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #24
Marathonrookie

Quote:
Because we own a $50,000 license that allows us to fish for a living.

Wrong attitude buddy...Your "50k" license is only something other fisherman would be willing to pay you for it. The value will adjust each time they change the fishing rules. The original cost of the permits were minor from the gov.

Commercial guys provide a service....they allow local restaurants and such to provide high quality local fish. They also allow exporting of the fish to provide revenue to local communities when their supply exceeds the demand.

I'd love to see recreational guys be allowed to sell fish to fish houses on a case by case basis. It would drive the prices down on fish since rec guys are willing to fish at a loss.
36' Prokat Behind my house

Typically out alone or with a half empty boat, open to others joining.
Marathonrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #25
Marathonrookie

And expect everyone to be more motivated to making lion fish the replacement on the menus. I'd love to see those little bastards at 5.50/lb and commercial divers crying because rec guys shot them all already.
36' Prokat Behind my house

Typically out alone or with a half empty boat, open to others joining.
Marathonrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:10 AM   #26
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathonrookie View Post
And expect everyone to be more motivated to making lion fish the replacement on the menus. I'd love to see those little bastards at 5.50/lb and commercial divers crying because rec guys shot them all already.
They already do pay 5.50 a pound. I wont be crying, I actually am all for rec guys being able to sell lionfish. You even saying that rec guys shoot them all is laughable. I can get over 100 pounds of lionfish without even trying. It's a big problem.

I'm sorry you guys all think I'm a big bad commercial diver who shoots all of "your fish", but in reality that is not who I am, or what I'm about. I've passed up fish that many of you would shoot in a heart beat because I actually respect the ocean and know how to manage the spots I fish, I know when enough is enough. I was raised by a marine biologist who worked for NOAA, and a commercial diver, I see things from both sides. I want to be able to take my son out one day and see him shoot his first fish just like my dad did. Growing up all I wanted to do was what I love for a living, but as time has gone on I have realized that isn't going to happen. So while my dreams are literally being crushed, your bag limit is lower.

There are only so many commercial divers on the east coast/keys and many more rec guys, so yes, I DO think commercial divers that paid for license and sell fish to local restaurants and fish markets for there lively hood should be able to get more fish. Sorry everyone seems to disagree.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:13 AM   #27
kwyoungspear

But hey, while the haters are all out.....

Who needs hog fish when you can get blacks like these?

70-130 pounds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14462858_10210898546447497_2693357028643711704_n.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	229109  

Last edited by kwyoungspear; 09-26-2016 at 12:51 AM.
kwyoungspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #28
Originalspearch

Quote:

70-130 pounds
I shit my wetsuit when i see a 30lb black. I'd blackout on the spot if I swam up to a 130 or more likely I wouldn't look twice at it cause my brain would just instantly say "Jewfish"
Old 09-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #29
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:

70-130 pounds
Great Pic, my buddy Chad in Key West is doing the same.
Living the Dream.Congrats
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #30
quatin

Federal guys like to be harsh on new restrictions to be on the safe side. I'm sure it will loosen up over time.
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote