Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-19-2021, 11:09 PM   #1
Keysspearoo

Long Pneumatic Guns

Hey guys,

I need to get a long pneumatic gun, looking to get one in the 140cm size range. The problem is I see there is very little if any pneumatics in that size. I have an opportunity to buy a used persistent 140cm pneumatic but im not sure on the quality of those guns, anyone got any feedback? If not Anyone know where i can get one?

Thank you
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:32 AM   #2
divenfish

Re: Long Pneumatic Guns

popgun pete is your man on everything and anything on pneumatics. Loading a 140 could be a challenge even with a load assist
divenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
popgun pete

The Persistent is just a rebadge of the Hang Fung Aqua Gear gun.
http://www.hfi.com.hk/products/Pneum...tic_38_140.htm
These guns are cheaply made in Asia.

Longer guns being in little demand 130 cm is about the maximum these days from companies like Salvimar with their Predathor 130 cm.

Pelengas from the Ukraine make a 140 cm. It has a 12 mm inner barrel, whereas the Salvimar and Mares guns are 13 mm, as is the Aqua Gear.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/133021120353
There was a 140 cm Corsika version of this gun, the carbon stock gun, but right now I can only find the original 120 cm.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/133409533757

Looks like you can buy the Corsika here.
https://speargun.shop/PNEUMATIC%20VA...20CARBON%20140
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelengas Carbon 140 cm.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	247512  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-20-2021 at 10:03 AM. Reason: more info
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #4
popgun pete

Seac Sub have revamped their Asso and have a 135 cm.
https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-div...35/137865744/p
Old 12-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
popgun pete

LG Sub in Italy make a big banger 14 mm inner barrel, these guns are expensive!
https://www.lgsub.it/prodotto/suprem...-pronto-pesca/
Old 12-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
Keysspearoo

Thanks for all the info, I find it interesting that long (140cm+) pneumatics are hard to come by and not many people make them. I will look into the salvimar 130s. I have also seen online pictures and videos of people using what appears to be a “homemade” pneumatic. For example, I have seen people using the Mares sten handle on a long gun and i know mares only makes those guns to about 100cm or so. My question is would it be possible to buy a barrel and other components say for a 140 and just put a name brand handle (cressi, mares, seac, salvimar, etc) on it and call it a day?
Old 12-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Keysspearoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
The Persistent is just a rebadge of the Hang Fung Aqua Gear gun.
http://www.hfi.com.hk/products/Pneum...tic_38_140.htm
These guns are cheaply made in Asia.

Longer guns being in little demand 130 cm is about the maximum these days from companies like Salvimar with their Predathor 130 cm.

Pelengas from the Ukraine make a 140 cm. It has a 12 mm inner barrel, whereas the Salvimar and Mares guns are 13 mm, as is the Aqua Gear.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/133021120353
There was a 140 cm Corsika version of this gun, the carbon stock gun, but right now I can only find the original 120 cm.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/133409533757

Looks like you can buy the Corsika here.
https://speargun.shop/PNEUMATIC%20VA...20CARBON%20140

Also good to know about the persistent guns, i always thought they were just rebranded Seac Assos.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:14 PM   #8
popgun pete

The Aqua Gear is just a shameless rip-off of the Seac Sub “Asso” which has been around for decades, but the Aqua Gear quality is suspect. I have seen them sell brand new for under 100 bucks for a 90 cm when a quality gun that size is over 200 bucks. In fact until recent price reductions a longer pneumatic gun from Italy could sell for 600 bucks when the distributors were perhaps too greedy.

The new replacement from Seac Sub is the “Asso Up”.

Most rear handle pneumatic spearguns are derivatives of the 1967 Mares “Sten” which set the basic layout for power regulator guns and then everyone copied it. The “Sten” has had 3 styling revisions to freshen it up and used to come in longer models up to 140 cm and at one time 150 cm. These longer guns are harder to load and not as versatile for general spearfishing so manufacturers have scaled back the lengths as sales of the long guns fell off. If you have never used a pneumatic I suggest you start with a 90 cm or a 100cm to get your loading techniques sorted out. When choosing a pneumatic it is best to work back from what you plan to shoot in and where terrain-wise when determining the length of the gun. You can always buy a longer gun later.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #9
popgun pete

The problem in creating a much longer gun is sourcing the precision bore tubing for the inner barrel and the tank tube. The manufacturers have this tubing specially made for them as it is not just your average alloy and if you go looking for it then you are very unlikely to find it. They must have tons of the stuff run off over the many decades these guns have been in production, in fact over 50 years. I tried finding these materials at a trade outlet aluminium extrusion stockist and the expert guy there told me if you try using this stuff you will blow yourself up. Inner barrels are generally not interchangeable between brands as screw thread sizes vary.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #10
Keysspearoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
The Aqua Gear is just a shameless rip-off of the Seac Sub “Asso” which has been around for decades, but the Aqua Gear quality is suspect. I have seen them sell brand new for under 100 bucks for a 90 cm when a quality gun that size is over 200 bucks. In fact until recent price reductions a longer pneumatic gun from Italy could sell for 600 bucks when the distributors were perhaps too greedy.

The new replacement from Seac Sub is the “Asso Up”.

Most rear handle pneumatic spearguns are derivatives of the 1967 Mares “Sten” which set the basic layout for power regulator guns and then everyone copied it. The “Sten” has had 3 styling revisions to freshen it up and used to come in longer models up to 140 cm and at one time 150 cm. These longer guns are harder to load and not as versatile for general spearfishing so manufacturers have scaled back the lengths as sales of the long guns fell off. If you have never used a pneumatic I suggest you start with a 90 cm or a 100cm to get your loading techniques sorted out. When choosing a pneumatic it is best to work back from what you plan to shoot in and where terrain-wise when determining the length of the gun. You can always buy a longer gun later.
I have used a pneumatic in some fashion my whole life. When i was a little kid my first speargun was a cressi SL (forgot what size), i started plinking around the patch reefs with that and decades later i keep a small 70cm sten in my arsenal for shooting into holes. I believe a pneumatic is a very useful tool and once mastered more efficient to a band gun in regards to loading. A couple weeks ago i shot a “big” (135cm seac) pneumatic for the first time while in mexico and I honestly loved it and would like to add one to my arsenal. Obviously loading something that long will take some getting used to but I am sure with time i can master it. I appreciate all the help!
Old 12-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
popgun pete

There are extension loaders such as the Mares Clever loader. You certainly want a loader that will not break! Pelengas make one which is available from the “Pelengas Store” on eBay at times. You can write to the guy at the store and ask him about Pelengas gear, I actually bought an LG Sub “Revolution” off him which he had acquired to check it out then sold it to recoup some of the cost. It was a nice gun, but expensive for what it was as all the parts but the tubing are machined to shape! No plastic mouldings, the gun is all computer machined from stock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pelengas extended loader 2R.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	247513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clever loader long.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	247514  
Old 12-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #12
seaviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysspearoo View Post
I have used a pneumatic in some fashion my whole life. When i was a little kid my first speargun was a cressi SL (forgot what size), i started plinking around the patch reefs with that and decades later i keep a small 70cm sten in my arsenal for shooting into holes. I believe a pneumatic is a very useful tool and once mastered more efficient to a band gun in regards to loading. A couple weeks ago i shot a “big” (135cm seac) pneumatic for the first time while in mexico and I honestly loved it and would like to add one to my arsenal. Obviously loading something that long will take some getting used to but I am sure with time i can master it. I appreciate all the help!
I've got several Mares Sten pneumatics in my garage, including a 130/135 and a 150 - Both have only been used a few times, and have been stored muzzle down.I also have a 110 - same condition - if you're interested, let me know and I'll give a VERY good $$$.
Al
seaviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #13
popgun pete

The very long Sten models were sold as Pipin models and they were all over 100 cm. From memory there were three sizes topping out at the 150 cm. They were rather expensive, but were basically Sten models with the Supersten metal trigger. Except for the sales photos on eBay I never saw one again. Attached is the Supersten grip photo, the main difference to the usual Sten is the metal instead of plastic trigger.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear handles R.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	247515  
Old 12-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #14
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaviews View Post
I've got several Mares Sten pneumatics in my garage, including a 130/135 and a 150 - Both have only been used a few times, and have been stored muzzle down.I also have a 110 - same condition - if you're interested, let me know and I'll give a VERY good $$$.
Al
Maybe you could show some photos as I think many here would be interested in seeing them.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #15
Keysspearoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaviews View Post
Al
Sent PM.