Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
surf-ratz

Lobster Pre-Season Clarification

Hey there,

I'm pretty new to the sport, love spearfishing already, and am stoked to partake in my first lobster season this year! I understand that you are only allowed to take lobster with your hands while diving (i.e. no spearing) and plan on strictly following all the rules. I was wondering if you are allowed to be in possession of a spear while diving for lobster. I would probably leave it on my longboard (acting as my shore diving platform) just in case my first lobster dives aren't the most productive and I decide to poke a few fishies. I just wasn't sure where that falls in the rulebook.

Thanks a ton
surf-ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Oceandiver130

Re: Lobster Pre-Season Clarification

This topic has been talked about so much try searching it first and see what you get. I personally use a 4' pole spear with a paralyzer for sculpin and cabs and have no problems. The main law they are concerned with is using something like a flopper as a hooked device, some guys say its all about the warden you get and what he thinks, just don't have any with holes and he should be cool.
Oceandiver130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
friendlyfire
all about keyboard divin

Upon diving my first bug season, i tried to do the bug/spear combo thing and i quickly decided it was a little overwhelming to do both productively. All i can say is do separate dives for bugs or fish. Then, if you see a nice cabezon or halibut while bug diving, try braining it with your dive knife(something you should always have). As for the dfg regs, its a grey area.
friendlyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
shafe

Read recent posts in the Lobster Advisory Committee thread
shafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
joshik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandiver130 View Post
This topic has been talked about so much try searching it first and see what you get. I personally use a 4' pole spear with a paralyzer for sculpin and cabs and have no problems. The main law they are concerned with is using something like a flopper as a hooked device, some guys say its all about the warden you get and what he thinks, just don't have any with holes and he should be cool.
i woudl think they still wouldn't like it bc u can use it to poke them out of holes and i dont think "tickle" sticks are allowed.
joshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
surf-ratz

Thanks for the thoughts guys! The bug/spear combo thing does sound a bit cumbersome friendlyfire so ill probably pass on the spear. Thanks again and good luck fellas
surf-ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
bearclaw
Shaft slinger

My gun marks the holes for areas where I saw bugs (you can do the same with a bigger flashlight and float line). I rarely do dedicated bug dives as Murphy's Law guarantees bugs are abundant when untouchable, and fish are everywhere when you don't have a gun.
bearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
laguna80
El Capitan

I found it to be cumbersome too, but it might be worth bringing it just in case you spot a halibut in the sand. Or just keep it on your board or whatever and if it's super fishy out then go grab your gun.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
surf_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyfire View Post
Upon diving my first bug season, i tried to do the bug/spear combo thing and i quickly decided it was a little overwhelming to do both productively. All i can say is do separate dives for bugs or fish. Then, if you see a nice cabezon or halibut while bug diving, try braining it with your dive knife(something you should always have). As for the dfg regs, its a grey area.
x2 some people can do it...as for me when I try to become a 'jack' of all trades, I'm usually a master of none
surf_dude is offline   Reply With Quote