Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Bodhisattva

Omer Cayman HF

Greetings all! I've been spearing for about a year now and absolutely love the sport. My first (and only gun) is a Rob Allen 80cm Tuna that I split with my dad. I plan on having enough money by this summer to give him the gun completely and get a new one for myself. I'm looking for something under $600 and that's pretty firm because of my college budget. I'm in love with the Cayman HF (can someone pleas tell me the difference between the HF and the HF 2). Any other guns I should look at in that price/gun style range? Any opinions on the HF/HF2 will be GREATLY appreciated as well as any other guns you guys would suggest. Thanks in advance.
Bodhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Poseidum
Deep, Dark, and Murky

Re: Omer Cayman HF

The HF stands for Hrdro Formed aluminum. The HF 2 has the same cuttle bone shape the HF does but with another bow out towards the front supposedly for even better dydrodynamics. I believe the HF2 also only comes in the brown camo.

Go with the HF, I have a 90cm and hands down it shoots better than any of my other guns (Riffe, Picasso, Sporasub, Rob Allen). It really is the shizzle.
Poseidum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Bodhisattva

Awesome. That's what I really wanted to hear. How long have you had yours for and how is it holding up? I'm the exact opposite of "rough/hard" on my guns, but they still wear. I want to have a gun that I can get at least 2 years out of, relatively major problem free.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
cancunspearo

have you seen mako spearguns great guns i have heard. that kind of spearfishing you do reef? bw?
check the mako guns or RA, AIMRITE ETC.

and spend that extra money on equipment bro!
cancunspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Poseidum
Deep, Dark, and Murky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Awesome. That's what I really wanted to hear. How long have you had yours for and how is it holding up? I'm the exact opposite of "rough/hard" on my guns, but they still wear. I want to have a gun that I can get at least 2 years out of, relatively major problem free.
I've had my HF for 2 seasons of fresh and I am pretty easy on it but only because it makes me look so good. Never any blood in my fillets because that gun STONES everything. I've never aimed it, I just point and shoot and inside 10 ft it is a done deal. The only problem I have is when I cock it back to the 3rd shark fin notch the muzzle likes to jump a bit on trigger pull so I just point lower on big fish and use the 2nd fin for all other fish less than 10lbs. It comes rigges with a reel and I got mine at scubastore.com in Italy for like $250 USD.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancunspearo View Post
have you seen mako spearguns great guns i have heard. that kind of spearfishing you do reef? bw?
check the mako guns or RA, AIMRITE ETC.

and spend that extra money on equipment bro!
I'll be doing mostly reef hunting with the occasional blue water hunt mixed in. I'd say 90% reef and 10% BW.

I checked out the Aimrite Line and was very impressed. I have checked out Mako's line as well and have heard a lot of great things about them, especially their customer service, but I want something a little different from the RA I'm shooting now. I feel like the Mako and RA are pretty comparable. If I'm wrong in saying that, please let me know.

So the competition as of now stands at:
1. Omer Cayman HF2
2. Mako Predator
3. Aimrite Competition

All 100cm
Old 10-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
headhunter561
Rob

nothing against the Omer at all but $600??!! You could also get a custom teak KOAH built to your specs with an enclosed track, neptonics trigger and alexander or aimrite handle for less than that. Just Just seems like a lot for a railgun. Just throwing another idea in the mix.
headhunter561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
asianspearo
Heiho

Bodhi,

Check out this site:

http://www.scubasworld.com/proddetai...FYIvpAodS1TAjA

Their price for an Omer Cayman HF2 100 is $322.09. The reel is extra. S&H should be lower than ordering from abroad.

Good luck.

Di Au
asianspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
fuzz
fuzzy logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidum View Post
The HF stands for Hrdro Formed aluminum. The HF 2 has the same cuttle bone shape the HF does but with another bow out towards the front supposedly for even better dydrodynamics. I believe the HF2 also only comes in the brown camo.

Few additions and corrections:
  • The HF2 does not only come in the brown camo. That is only the HF2 LE (limited edition).
  • The HF2 has 2 smaller cuttlefish sections on muzzle and handle ends. The HF has 1 large taper throughout the middle of the gun.
  • Due to the design differences, the HF2 has slightly less volume and can track slightly better, but the HF resists recoil a bit more.
  • The HF2 comes with the OMER XXV muzzle which is smaller and can use both standard parallel euro bands as well as circular bands.
  • The HF comes standard with a reel. The HF2 does not.

I have a few cayman HF's of staggered lengths. They're solid guns and shoot well. Their ergonomic handle is one of the most comfortable stock euro handles I've used. Stiff barrel, light trigger pull, & accurate.
fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
Atmosphere
Ryan Z.

If you're looking at omer why not consider one spearguns? They're made by omer and it seems like you have the money to drop, Scubaworld has them for $600 something but my local dive shop had them for around $400 so search around.

http://www.onespeargun.com/home_ing.html?lingua=ING
Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Bodhisattva

Thanks Di for that site and thanks Fuzz for clearing that up! Fuzz, do you know which reel Omer puts on the HF?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Poseidum
Deep, Dark, and Murky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
If you're looking at omer why not consider one spearguns? They're made by omer and it seems like you have the money to drop, Scubaworld has them for $600 something but my local dive shop had them for around $400 so search around.

http://www.onespeargun.com/home_ing.html?lingua=ING
Dude what is the name of the dive shop? I didn't think the ONE guns were available in the US yet. They are definetly the way to go, from what I've seen they represent all the best features of the OMER guns.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
Atmosphere
Ryan Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidum View Post
Dude what is the name of the dive shop? I didn't think the ONE guns were available in the US yet. They are definetly the way to go, from what I've seen they represent all the best features of the OMER guns.
James and Joseph in San Diego. They had the 105 and 95cm on display, i have no idea if they have more in the back and whether they will ship or not. Here's their number if you want to give them a call: 619-295-3705

http://www.jamesandjoseph.net/
Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
apneadreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Thanks Di for that site and thanks Fuzz for clearing that up! Fuzz, do you know which reel Omer puts on the HF?
its a match 50 comes and comes with line.
apneadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
woodshooter

where are you going to be hunting?
you might want some thing longer than a 90cm/100cm
if you got $600 on it look into seasniper proreef, or andre 144cm euro, hammerhead evo, riffe euro 120cm/130cm.
woodshooter is offline   Reply With Quote