Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #16
Grin

Re: My solution for ear infections from Diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickODynamite! View Post
You guys scare the crap out of me, take a microbiology course to appreciate what's growing in or between your ears ; or simply do as SpearMax did visiting his ENT, MD.

Fungal and bacterial infections may be beaten back to a point; but never cleared unless treated CORRECTLY. This can lead to mutations which may leave the original infectious agent more resistant to conventional treatments such as anti-biotics.

See your doctor!

Noone here has either a "Fungal and bacterial infections ". Preventing this issue is what the thread is about.

"See your doctor! "
For what? Is the entire point!
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #17
Ralph50

I've been using 50% alcohol and 50% vinegar for 15 years.

Works like a charm.

If you get a fever by all means go to the doctor.
Ralph50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #18
seahunter49

Thanks for the tip sealark, I'll keep the recipe handy.
seahunter49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #19
jfjf

I was recently told by a pharmacist that solutions containing Boric Acid have been removed from the market. I used to get an excellent over the counter ear solution called aqua otic and I think it contained boric acid and glycerin, as I recall. It worked very well as a preventative.

The pharmacist told me that the reason boric acid has been removed is because it was assoicated with mental retardation in apes (or monkeys, I forget now). Initially I thought he was joking and mocking my over abundance of body hair. He assured me that he was not joking and that this type of use for boric acide is no longer recommended.

I'm still not sure if he wasn't BSing me.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
spaniard65

I am a strong believer in boric acid for both prevention and treatment. The reason is that way back when I used to teach scuba in Miami, I got a real nasty ear infection from the pool sessions, throbbing ear pain I could not even sleep in that side. An old timer instructor told me to go to the pharmacy and get a bottle of boric acid solution and pour some in my ear two or three times a day. Back then they used to sell a little bottle for a bout a dollar and half (1994). What do you know, a day later my ear infection was gone. I used it for a few years after that as prevention; any time I felt a bit of discomfort or that an ear infection was coming I would use it and worked like magic every time.
Unfortunately I can't remember if it was just 1% or 2% boric acid solution or if it had also alcohol on it. I have been out of the industry for several years now. I see they don't sell that Boric acid solution no more and that to get it you need to go to a pharmacist. I remember the old timer told me to make sure and get the liquid solution not the powder. I hope this is of help to some body as it was to me back then.
spaniard65 is offline   Reply With Quote