Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Sheri
So Little Time

Performance Freediving -- Spearfishing Class!

For a couple years, Kirk Krack has been asking Daryl Wong and me if we would be interested in teaching Freedive Spearfishing classes. We were very flattered, because we both admire the quality of Kirk's program so much. Although neither of us has a lot of spare time, we decided to do it anyway, because we were so excited and intrigued about the idea of helping people learn/improve their spearfishing game.

We've been working hard to put together a curriculum that bridges the gap between the things you learn in freediving classes and the application of those principles to spearfishing. We will be teaching students how to warm-up, breathe, streamline, exercise, etc, for spearfishing. We will also be teaching how to read the bottom, how to read fish behavior, how to identify and attract different species, etc.

Just like a good Hunter Safety course on land, we will be teaching safe speargun handling techniques, as well as hunter ethics. We will have spearguns from Riffe, Mako, Omer, Picasso, Rob Allen, Wong -- even an Art Pinder sling and Manny Puig polespear -- so that everyone can try out different style guns and equipment. Everyone will learn how to load them, string them, aim them, and target shoot with them. We will explain the pros and cons of rear-handle, mid-handle, Eurogun, pneumatic, polespearing, line and float versus reels, and much more.

As you can imagine, there will be a big emphasis on freedive safety and what we call the "Safe Buddy" protocol. The fourth (and last) day is optional and includes CPR, AED, and O2 Provider certification in the morning with a fun-dive in the afternoon. If you choose to take the fourth day AND you choose to abide by the Safe Buddy protocol, we expect that you would be considered an extremely valuable buddy and a very desirable person to have onboard any boat.

The first class we are doing is "Basic Spearfishing" (still developing the Advanced class). Actually, it may be too beginner for most people on Spearboard, but it is ideal for someone that just learned to freedive, or scuba divers just now trying freediving, or for your beginner buddy that want to catch up to you, etc. The pre-requisite is that you have taken Kirk's Basic Freediving and be comfortable in the water, but you don't need to know anything at all about freedive spearfishing. It will be taught on October 8 to 10 in Ft. Lauderdale. More info here.....http://www.performancefreediving.com...-spearfishing/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_JM33288ps3.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	106182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decem 19 with 007ps2.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	106183   Click image for larger version

Name:	thecrewv3.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	106184   Click image for larger version

Name:	16_16.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	106185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00629ps3.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	106186  

Last edited by Sheri; 07-01-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
KonaKai

Re: Performance Freediving -- Spearfishing Class!

Good to see you guys have put it together! I think it'll be great for new spearfishermen and will benefit our sport greatly.

I'm sure you'll be covering the conservation aspect of spearfishing as well. Introducing basic conservation principals would be a huge for the sport as a whole. It seems to me that a small percentage of new spearfishermen don't "do the right thing" because of ignorance coupled with the desire to shoot as many fish as possible. This small group can have a devastating impact on the local populations view of spearfishermen as a whole. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about, we've all seen it in one form or another.

Most hunters, fishermen, and spearfishermen start in that early stage where it's a natural "need" to kill as many as you can. Starting new spearfishermen off with the right mindset is priceless and this class would be a perfect venue for just that. Others have been doing this for years and if we can continue to educate our fellow spearfishermen our sport can only benefit.

Good luck with this new class and let us know how it turn out.

Dive Safe... Tobin (Saw you last at the March PFI Course Ft. Lauderdale)
Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
DonJeffVivo
Miami, Fl---Student at FS

Send a message via AIM to DonJeffVivo

I second Kona's comment. This class is definatley a must. I am suprised it has been done earlier. Hunter's have hunter safety classes, this will be great for our sport.

Our father who are in the ocean, spearfishing be thy name,
Since fish have swum, men have slung, cold steel into their swimming bodies.
Give us this day our daily stone shots and forgive us our missed ones, as we forgive those who miss shots for us.
And lead us not into a cave with a moray eel, but deliver us from the man in the gray suit.
DonJeffVivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
Sheri
So Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKai View Post
Starting new spearfishermen off with the right mindset is priceless and this class would be a perfect venue for just that.
Tobin, yes! Funny that you ask, because we have defined four distinct phases of a hunter (and some people get stuck in certain stages). Anyway, we are teaching beginners to bypass that first stage that some uneducated beginners go through -- where they shoot at everything, have a low landing rate, leave injured fish, and think that quantity matters more than quality.

We know that the reason people love Kirk's class is because he has helped them bypass that whole beginner stage of freediving. He is teaching people to use the right techniques so they don't spend years floundering around and doing unsafe things.

We can also teach spearos how to bypass that "stupid" stage. For example, by doing target shooting, students will have a very good feel for the range and accuracy of their spearguns so that they will know when NOT to take a shot.

We will also talk about respect for the prey, for the ocean, for other people out on the water. More and more, it's soooo important how we are perceived by the public, and we must remember to take the high road and go above and beyond to demonstrate a true sportsman attitude and stewardship for the ocean.

When spearfishing, we are joining a long and proud tradition and becoming members of a relatively small tribe. If we don't make ethics and safety our top priority and put spearfishing in a good light, we could easily put an to this beautiful sport.

Do I sound like a school marm? Actually, the class is going to be a lot of fun!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
KonaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Tobin, yes! Funny that you ask, because we have defined four distinct phases of a hunter (and some people get stuck in certain stages). Anyway, we are teaching beginners to bypass that first stage that some uneducated beginners go through -- where they shoot at everything, have a low landing rate, leave injured fish, and think that quantity matters more than quality.

We know that the reason people love Kirk's class is because he has helped them bypass that whole beginner stage of freediving. He is teaching people to use the right techniques so they don't spend years floundering around and doing unsafe things.

We can also teach spearos how to bypass that "stupid" stage. For example, by doing target shooting, students will have a very good feel for the range and accuracy of their spearguns so that they will know when NOT to take a shot.

We will also talk about respect for the prey, for the ocean, for other people out on the water. More and more, it's soooo important how we are perceived by the public, and we must remember to take the high road and go above and beyond to demonstrate a true sportsman attitude and stewardship for the ocean.

When spearfishing, we are joining a long and proud tradition and becoming members of a relatively small tribe. If we don't make ethics and safety our top priority and put spearfishing in a good light, we could easily put an to this beautiful sport.

Do I sound like a school marm? Actually, the class is going to be a lot of fun!
You are absolutely right! This is a great leap in the right direction for our beloved sport. Sounds like a fun and informative class.

Take Care... Tobin
Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
For a couple years, Kirk Krack has been asking Daryl Wong and me if we would be interested in teaching Freedive Spearfishing classes. We were very flattered, because we both admire the quality of Kirk's program so much. Although neither of us has a lot of spare time, we decided to do it anyway, because we were so excited and intrigued about the idea of helping people learn/improve their spearfishing game.

We've been working hard to put together a curriculum that bridges the gap between the things you learn in freediving classes and the application of those principles to spearfishing. We will be teaching students how to warm-up, breathe, streamline, exercise, etc, for spearfishing. We will also be teaching how to read the bottom, how to read fish behavior, how to identify and attract different species, etc.

Just like a good Hunter Safety course on land, we will be teaching safe speargun handling techniques, as well as hunter ethics. We will have spearguns from Riffe, Mako, Omer, Picasso, Rob Allen, Wong -- even an Art Pinder sling and Manny Puig polespear -- so that everyone can try out different style guns and equipment. Everyone will learn how to load them, string them, aim them, and target shoot with them. We will explain the pros and cons of rear-handle, mid-handle, Eurogun, pneumatic, polespearing, line and float versus reels, and much more.

As you can imagine, there will be a big emphasis on freedive safety and what we call the "Safe Buddy" protocol. The fourth (and last) day is optional and includes CPR, AED, and O2 Provider certification in the morning with a fun-dive in the afternoon. If you choose to take the fourth day AND you choose to abide by the Safe Buddy protocol, we expect that you would be considered an extremely valuable buddy and a very desirable person to have onboard any boat.

The first class we are doing is "Basic Spearfishing" (still developing the Advanced class). Actually, it may be too beginner for most people on Spearboard, but it is ideal for someone that just learned to freedive, or scuba divers just now trying freediving, or for your beginner buddy that want to catch up to you, etc. The pre-requisite is that you have taken Kirk's Basic Freediving and be comfortable in the water, but you don't need to know anything at all about freedive spearfishing. It will be taught on October 8 to 10 in Ft. Lauderdale. More info here.....http://www.performancefreediving.com...-spearfishing/
Congrats Sheri. Sounds like you & Daryl have a great program planned. Proper instruction from great teachers can greatly decrease the learning curve for any spearfisherman. If you are a interested in freediving............definitely sign up for these seminars!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
jfjf

I've yet to hear anyone say a negative thing about the Performance Freediving classes. If the quality of this class is anything like the others, it will be incredible!
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Many experienced spearos only shoot a couple styles, some only one.

Sheri is the most versatile shooter I know... no question!

Freedive or scuba. Lines or freeshaft. Reels or floats. Slings to Tuna cannons. Bahamas to Hawaii... & everything in between.

___

Many gun companies make only a couple styles of guns, some only one.

Daryl makes more varied quality guns than any other gun builder I know... no question!

Chad
Located in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SE Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 07-10-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Aimrite Tko
Broward Longfins Member

I plan on taking this course.
Aimrite Tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Petra
Livin' the life!

Send a message via AIM to Petra

Quote:
The pre-requisite is that you have taken Kirk's Basic Freediving and be comfortable in the water
What an awesome opportunity and idea! Will attendance at Martin Stepanek's F.I.I. Level 1 course fulfill the prerequisite requirement?

--
Follow my adventures!
oceanloveher.com | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

Passionate. Unconventional. Independent.
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
Daryl Wong

Aloha Lisa,

We'll check into it for you. This class will be a blast. Where else can you get to try out some of the best products on the market. Many are offering products to use, but we want to keep it simple with the top brands for spearos to check out. We will add more products as we go along.
The ocean sessions will enable the students to try new techniques learned in class and also to learn to judge ranges by havin shooting stages to shoot at various targets. Like Sheri mentioned, most spearos on SB are more advanced but there is always something to learn.
Hope to see you, Barry and the gang one day.

Aloha,Daryl
Daryl Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
Rinaldo
Extreme Freediver

Send a message via AIM to Rinaldo

This is an exciting class indeed ! Daryl mentioned it to me but I didn't know the depth or scope of the course and what it would cover. I only wish I'd begun with a course such as this.

Let us know when you do schedule a more advanced class, I still think many of the course material would be applicable to more seasoned veterans, such as boat etiquette and or shot placement, it's always nice to get a pointer or two from professionals and record holders such as yourselves.

I referred this link to 3 friends hopefully they take you up on the offer.
Rinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Sheri
So Little Time

Petra, yes, Martin's class would certainly fulfill the prerequisite. We just want the divers to already know about the safety aspect of freediving and blackouts, as we will not be covering that. We want to concentrate on fish! Would be great to see you there.

Rinaldo, thanks, and yes, it's quite true that intermediate level spearfishermen can also learn something from this course. We just didn't want to scare away beginners, because the freediving capability is not important for this class. Anyone is welcome and should find it useful.

We are covering the following topics:

Hunting Ethics
Spearfishing Safety Doís and Doníts
Spearfishing-specific equipment
Speargun Selection
Shot Placement and Target Practice
Laws and Proper Flag Display
Boating Etiquette
Various Types of Hunting
Fish Identification and Behavior
Techniques for Attracting Fish
Teamwork
Proper Fish Handling/Filleting/Storage
Travel Tips
Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
waterbug
bobbi

I hope you have booked a big arena, this one will be SRO!! Count me in!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #15
ShootIt

I would be cool if there was a DVD available for sale after for those unable to attend.
ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote